1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Raiders cooling on Jamarcus Russell ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PhilipRivers#1, Mar 5, 2007.

1. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    The Raiders returned from the NFL Scouting Combine less convinced that Louisiana State QB JaMarcus Russell is their man for the top pick and with more questions than before after taking a long look at him during the process. Publicly, the Raiders said nothing about Russell or any of the other players who attended the Combine. Privately, several Raider officials questioned Russell's work ethic, said they are concerned about his weight as a long-term issue, and cautioned against making Russell a lead-pipe cinch as the top pick. It now appears just as likely that the Raiders will target Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson in light of his posting a 4.31-second 40-yard dash and saying all the right things during an interview.

• Like Like x 2
  2. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    can i get a link please??

3. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    What's the problem? this describes 80% of the players currently on the Faiders.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. When Lightning Strikes

Ratings:
    +68
    by the way, just a note on Calvin Johnson's 4.31 40 yrd dash...

He ran it in borrowed shoes!!

5. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    It's not like his own shoes make him physically faster. =P

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    wonder if they have interest in Brady Quinn

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't see how the Raiders can pass on BOTH QB prospects. The pickings in free agency are very slim, and I have a hard time believing that Lane Kiffin wants to go to war with Andrew Walter under center. :no:

• Like Like x 1
  8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yes, but running in the shoes your most comfortable in, running in the shoes you've trained in, is likely to enable you to get a better time than running in shoes you've never put on before.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    only way I could see that is if the Raiders acquire a FA QB but who the heck do you see out there that you'd hand the ball over?
    and I could see them passing on both QB prospects because Johnson's that good

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    that is not the problem, having interest is one thing, getting him there and signed is another

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I told you so. :p

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Crap, not you, too :icon_eek: :no: :icon_sad:

13. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Exactly what happened to his shoes? Why did he have to borrow someone elses?

Unless he borrowed someones timbos to run the 40 it's not that impressive. I doubt his time would change dramatically if he used his own shoes. I'm not saying that he's not fast. a 4.3 is blazing I'm just saying that I'm not as impressed that he did that with someone elses shoes. I'm sure the shoes he borrowed were very nice.

14. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Exactly my question. You know they are going to be doing the 40. It is the most notable event they do at the combine. Certainly the most talked about by the media.

15. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    More importantly, Johnson wasn't even planning on running, so he didn't prepare sufficiently. Dude is a beast.

[​IMG]

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Calvin wasn't planning on running. But he got caught up in the excitement and competition of the Combine, so he decided to run at the last minute. Not having running shoes of his own, he ran in someone else's.

17. When Lightning Strikes

Ratings:
    +68
    this is what i was going to say if i would have been able to answer the question first. He did not have any running shoes.

Calvin Johnson was told he didnt have to do the combine because there is no way possible that it would move him up in the draft because he was already a top pick without the combine. So, pretty much it was an agent telling him that it could only hurt his chances...but he didnt care and did it anyways. in someone elses running shoes.

18. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    It seems to me that if a player doesn't participate in the combine, it just raises more red flags. It is almost a must for players to go nowadays. IMHO anyway.

19. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    that's impressive. I get excited about all of these top prospects until I realize that we have no shot at them. I guess that's what a 12-4 record gets you.

20. When Lightning Strikes

Ratings:
    +68
    it may not be impressive to anyone that he didnt run in his own shoes, but it is to me. Shoes are important when you are running a 40 yrd dash. think about it, .20 of a second can make you great or okay. when you have shoes that may be just a bit heavier than you are used to or shoes that may be molded to someone elses arch and heel indentions, it will slow you down.

think about it this way...it was risky cuz by putting someone elses shoes on he very well possibly could have ran a 4.51 and then he wouldnt have been a 4.31. That is a substantial difference in the combine, especially for someone of Calvin Johnsons caliber. Now if i was running a 40 yrd dash and i ran a 8.1 in your shoes...that would not be impressive...but its Calvin Johnson, beating everyones times...and he did it in someone elses shoes...not even prepared to run. if that doesnt impress you, than go read another thread that isnt about sports, Heres a link for you www.gayguyforums.com

21. When Lightning Strikes

Ratings:
    +68
    i agree with you 110%. if i was at the combine scouting players, i would want to see how they perform outside thier comfort level. I wanna see how Brady Quinn throws to recievers hes not used to on a field hes not used to. I wanna see CB's cover WR's that they dont see everyday. I wanna see the power and they heart of a prospect that im thinking of paying multi-millions of dollars to.

They also need to look at a players character and his work ethic. If i was a scout, id be paying maids to go in the players rooms and tell me what was in the rooms...if i was told of anything like alcohol or cigarettes, it would change my mind...

22. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Yup .. exactly. Character and work ethic are every bit as important as what they bring to the field in talent. I guess that is why they do the psych testing now for a lot of these players.

23. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
  24. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
  25. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    He did not plan to work out at all at the combine on the advise of his agent. That's why he didn't have his shoes. He still didn't do all of the work out the other WR prospects did, but his competative juices were flowing when they ran the 40. He decided to run the 40 last minute. Hence the borrowed shoes.

26. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    The Raiders need a better QB. They will most likely draft one, I would think in the first round. It was be utterly stupid not to. They have no one left in FA, Walter isnt a franchise QB. They have two good WRs.

Perhaps they will draft a QB in the later rounds and maybe Trade their pick, or whoever they pick up with it, for some other picks they need.

If they do something stupid like Draft another defensive player or go for an O line person in the 1st around, when they obviously need a QB, I will laugh with pitty at the stupidest team in the history of the NFL.

27. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Got it .. My only thing is that I think the combine is extremely important for all players entering the draft. If the agent is advising him to not to go to the combine, then I would question his worth .. IMHO.

28. When Lightning Strikes

Ratings:
    +68
    like i said, i agree with you...but in this case, he could have droped because of the combine...there was no way to improve.

29. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    It isn't uncommon for players expecting to go in the top 5 to not participate in much at the combine. You stand to lose more than you could gain.

30. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Honestly--if I'm the Raiders I trade down. Russell and Brady are both scary picks that high. Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson would be nice picks, but neither one solves Oakland's biggest problems.