1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Raiders head coach allegedly assaulted defensive assistant coach Randy Hanson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Raiders head coach assaults defensive assistant coach Randy Hanson

Oakland Raiders head coach Tom Cable punched one of his assistants on Aug. 5 at the team's training camp headquarters in Napa, Calif., several media outlets reported on Monday.

The Web site National Football Post first reported that defensive assistant Randy Hanson was punched in the jaw by another member of the Raiders staff. Unidentified sources later told Fanhouse.com that Cable hit the third-year assistant.

Hanson reportedly did not want to pursue the matter, but staff at Queen of the Valley Hospital alerted authorities, according to Fanhouse.com.

"The victim didn't even want any police action taken," Napa Police Lt. Brian McGovern told the Web site, "but we were following hospital policy that authorities be contacted in cases where there may have been an assault."

Hanson suffered a fractured jaw. McGovern said, according to the Web site, that the Napa Police consider the matter closed "unless we are re-contacted by the victim, and the victim changes their mind that they want us to follow through and pursue an investigation. At this point we're not doing anything else with it."

McGovern said the police report has not been made public over privacy concerns.

Cable had a regularly scheduled meeting with the media scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I wonder if Goodell will get involved. He should.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Oh this might be the cherry on top of the sundae :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Kevin Gilbride come on down!!

:lol:

• Like Like x 2
  5. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    He must be bucking for a promotion with the team. That is the way you work your way to the top of that organization. He will now be held in very high reagrds by their fans, owner and management. Congrats go to the Cable guy!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Tom Cable: RESPECT MY AUTHORITAI!!!

7. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Why me...why is it always me... ​

8. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    To Damn funny but hey am I surprised.. NO! LMAO caoches cage match on the sideline in oakland, they should do PPV and make up for the lost revenue on season ticket sales! LOL!:popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Vick only hurt Dogs, Humans are fair game

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    but where do raiders fit in the food chain between dogs and humans? :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Great question...they don't! Non story!:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Nice!!!! :lol: :tup:

14. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Haha the title makes me laugh.

Good find JL. :tup:

15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Just watched ESPN, they're handling it in a pretty even handed way as they can't confirm it. They had an interview from their 'insider' who claimed 'the raiders are getting back to their renegade image they had when they were a winning team"

The correlation between the two is too close for my taste and its laughable

16. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Dysfunctional Raiders?

August 17, 2009 11:11 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

There goes that nice, stable summer in Oakland.

Team Dysfunction is back in the news for creative ways of chaos, even by Raiders standards. It's being reported that head coach Tom Cable, in his first year as the Raiders' full-time coach, punched defensive assistant Randy Hanson. Hanson reportedly suffered a fractured jaw in the Aug. 6 incident.

After Oakland's practice Monday, Cable told reporters that it was an internal matter and he would not discuss it.

Cable's no comment is not a surprise. There are legal issues here. Plus, the NFL could potentially opt to punish Cable if it proves out that he punched Hanson.

Cable's players weren't silent, though. It was reported that players poked fun at their coach during the stretching period Monday by mimicking a Muhammad Ali chant from the 1970s. So, clearly, the players aren't distracted by this news. They are having fun with it.

But there is a greater issue here: If true, this incident shows that the Raiders are still a dysfunctional team. It is not standard procedure in the NFL for head coaches to strike their assistants. Head coaches are expected to be leaders.

So, if Cable did do what is reported, it may be a sign that the Raiders are not changing. That's too bad.

Cable, who finished 4-8 as Oakland's interim coach last year after Lane Kiffin was fired, stumped for the permanent job by saying the team needed stability. He said he was the guy to bring a stable atmosphere to the team.

The early reviews were strong. Cable was organized and well liked by his team. The Raiders, who won a total of 24 games in the past six years, looked decent against Dallas in the preseason opener.

Progress seemingly was being made. However, if these reports are true, it will show that Raiders are still a model of disarray.

17. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Just implode baby!!!

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hahaha!! I'm gonna rep you ASAP for that one, H8er!! :lol:

Hey, this sounds like someone in Oakland gives a shiit. We'd better be ready come 9/14. :yes:

19. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    damn i wanted to be the one to post this...

Romanowski should fight Cable now for Survivor: Oakland.

20. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Hanson told police he was struck by a member of the staff during a meeting at the team's hotel in Napa and that he decided to seek medical attention when pain in his jaw was too severe for him to sleep. Law enforcement officials were dispatched to Queen of the Valley Medical Center by hospital personnel, and not Hanson himself, McGovern said, as is mandated in cases where assault is suspected. The extent of any injuries is not detailed on the report, as X-Rays had not yet been read to determine whether or not the victim had suffered a broken jaw, McGovern confirmed.

According to police, the victim in such a case has up to six months to report a misdemeanor assault. If his jaw was broken, that would constitute a felony, and the victim would have up to a year to press charges.

Hanson, 41, is in his third year with the Raiders. He also spent one year with St. Louis and three years with Minnesota.

Hanson was suspended last season by Kiffin after Hanson was critical of the team's effort in a season-opening loss to Denver.

Raiders owner Al Davis intervened on Hanson's behalf and later fired Kiffin.

Hanson was working with the defensive backs, but hasn't been seen at the team's training camp facilities since shortly after the fight supposedly took place.

"I know he's been around here but we really haven't seen him that much," safety Hiram Eugene said. "They keep him in the offices."

Asked if Hanson was still employed by the team, Cable again declined comment.

21. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Hanson incident now a league matter

NFL spokesperson Greg Aiello confirmed this morning that the league is now looking into whatever altercation may have taken place during a Raiders meeting at their Napa, Calif., headquarters on Aug 5. Randy Hanson, a defensive assistant, told police while being treated in a hospital on Aug. 6 that the facial injuries he suffered were a result of being struck by a member of the Raiders’ staff during a meeting.

Now the league, and NFL Security, will try to sort out exactly what happened. Sources close to Hanson contend that head coach Tom Cable was involved in a physical altercation with Hanson, resulting in him seeking medical attention. A source who has talked to Cable contended that whatever happened in the meeting room was not overtly physical and more along the lines of a heated discussion. A Raiders source told Warren Sapp that the incident between staffers involved Hanson and Cable.

The league has shown a vested interest in upholding players and coaches to a high standard when it comes to their conduct, with Commissioner Roger Goodell handing down suspensions for these actions. At this point it is not a legal matter, as Hanson did not name an accuser in the police report and he has yet to press any charges. That could change, however, with Hanson having up to six months to press charges from the point of the incident.

Obviously, this is a sensitive issue, and there are often varied interpretations of what occurred, it’s severity and what types of injuries were likely to occur as a result. To this point, Hanson has made no statements about the incident and is not returning messages, and Cable repeatedly declined to discuss the matter Monday, then eventually told some media outlets that essentially “nothing happened” in the meeting room.

The Raiders have shown no inclination to publicly address the situation either, dubbing it “an internal matter” when asked about the police report, so it could very well be that the league will have the ultimate say in whatever punishments, if any, are warranted in this incident.

22. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I thought in California you didn't have a choice if you're a victim of assault - whether you want to press charges or not the police will proceed. Right? Didn't they put it into place to prevent battered persons from protecting their abusers?

It would be a pretty blatant double standard if they didn't at least have a legit investigation into the matter. This wasn't a little fist fight - the dude has a broken jaw :icon_eek: and all reports I've heard said it was a sucker punch.

It'll be interesting to hear how Al handles this b/c Hanson isn't one of Cable's coaches and he's a big part in Al's fight against Lane Kiffin...

• Like Like x 1
  23. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    human feeds dog
    dog processes food
    raider fan is created
    human has to pickup raider fan from yard
    :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    they dont, I care more about my dog than the Raiders

25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

My son used a Raider nation T-Shirt to pick up some Horse crap in front of my jeep while in the stadium parking lot one year, man I was so proud of him.

26. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    good, but why did you let your kid touch a raiders t-shirt? why did you have one in the first place? :icon_eek:

27. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I never touched it before he did what he did, it was his idea, I gave him $10.00 in the parking lot to go and buy it from one of those Raider Nation vendors. My son said at first he did not want to sell it to him. He went with another boy from one of the people in the group that I used to tailgate with. They saw the freshly laid pile, and they took it upon themselves to rid the earth of 2 pieces of crap, the shirt and the pile. I say they made a very wise decision. I know the Raider fan parked in the other row in front of my Jeep did not like it one bit. He was getting furious at the kids; I told him if he wanted that shirt he had to pick it up with his teeth!!!!! I was told that when I was "Talking" with this coconut, the veins in my neck were quite visible. Hell we spit on the shirt, poured Beer on it, and we ground the shirt into the pile of horse crap with our shoes, it was quite the show.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I love you, man. :tup: :icon_toast:

29. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    For reals :wub: That story was pure beauty~

30. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

my son really did that. And the bad part is, I did not think of it, he did. It was him and his friends idea,. They planned it, they did all the leg work, and they executed it. I just backed them up. I had just gotten out of a Leg cast; I had broken my Right leg in 3 places, and tore the tendon in my Ankle. There I was hobbling around as best as I could.

The guy that had disagreed with my sons actions, left early. When the game was over, and we had gotten back to the Jeep, he was gone, along with all his cronies, the shirt was still sitting in that pile, only now multiple cars had driven over it, it was just a thing of beauty I am here to tell you.