1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Raiders leave a parting gift for L.T. -- bruise chest

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Dec 7, 2005.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/12/08/sports/professional/chargers/21_46_1512_7_05.txt

By: JAY PARIS - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- LaDainian Tomlinson wore a smile Wednesday, but not his Chargers uniform.

The Chargers began preparations for a visit Sunday by the Miami Dolphins, and they did so minus Tomlinson, their standout running back.

"It's nice to get a day off every once in a while,'' Tomlinson said.

Tomlinson is nursing a bruised chest, a souvenir from a 34-10 blasting of the Oakland Raiders last Sunday night.

"I heard the guy was giving him a little extra at the bottom of the pile,'' quarterback Drew Brees said.

Tomlinson said that is exactly what happened. Raiders linebacker Danny Clark delivered Tomlinson the Silver and Black knuckle sandwich.

A Raider giving a cheap shot?

"Imagine that,'' Brees said, sarcastically.

Imagine where the Chargers would be without Tomlinson? They're entering a four-week stretch which determines if their season is a keeper or a clunker.

After the Dolphins, the Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs and Denver Broncos await the Chargers.

But Tomlinson, and coach Marty Schottenheimer, weren't fretting Tomlinson's availability this weekend, when the Chargers go for their sixth straight victory.

"Oh yeah, I'm going to play, no doubt," said Tomlinson, who is one touchdown shy of tying Chuck Muncie's single-season team mark of 20.

Tomlinson said he could practice today.

"I don't know, it depends on how I feel,'' he said. "It's just a bruise.''

Still, the Chargers' world misses a rotation or two when Tomlinson isn't taking his turn in practice. Brees said it was odd not spinning and sticking the ball in Tomlinson's gut.

"It was a little different, but Michael Turner got some good reps,'' Brees said. "So obviously if he is needed more than usual, he will be ready to go.''

Turner proved that Sunday night, when averaging nearly 5 yards on seven carries and bulldozing his way in for a 2-yard score.

But Tomlinson, who said an MRI and X-ray came back negative on his chest, didn't anticipate his backup having a leading role.

"(The bruise) is just one area and that's the good thing about it,'' said Tomlinson, the NFL's fifth-leading rusher with 1,172 yards. "It's not a (big) area where you are really concerned with it. It's a very small area that really, I could have practiced (Wednesday) if I had to.''

He didn't, so he didn't. Tomlinson's status for today is in his hands, according to Schottenheimer.

"Whatever he wants to do,'' Schottenheimer said. "We'll take a look at it and see how he is doing. We're not real concerned about it.''

Just like Schottenheimer isn't stressing over how the injury occurred.

"I didn't look at it in detail,'' he said. "I heard there were some comments about what might have transpired, but it doesn't matter. It's over and we're moving on.''

Would Schottenheimer bring the play to the attention of league officials?

"I got more important things to deal with,'' he said.

CHARGERS NOTES ---- LT Roman Oben didn't practice Wednesday. Backup Leander Jordan again ran with the first team. ... ILB Ben Leber, who is out for the year, had surgery on his foot. ... Miami LB Zach Thomas (ankle) practiced; the team's leading tackler is expected to play Sunday. ... WR Kassim Osgood (pectoral) was placed on injured reserve and WR Malcom Floyd was elevated from the practice squad. Floyd's spot was taken by LB Roger Cooper, who went to the Dallas Cowboys' camp last summer.

2. Raiderssuckass

Raiderssuckass BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Damn dirty faiders! Looks like there's another Bill Romaowski type player in Danny Clark.