1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Raiders make Asomugha highest paid DB in history!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Feb 19, 2009.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3919067

The Oakland Raiders reached agreement with cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on a $45.3 million, three-year contract that makes him the highest-paid defensive back in NFL history.

Sources said Asomugha is guaranteed $28.5 million in a complicated deal that features a provision in which the entire contract can be guaranteed if the Raiders decide to keep the 27-year-old for the third season.

While he's a very good DB and he deserved to be paid well, all I can say is HOLY ****! That's ridiculous money

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Al does it again :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I love Aso... too bad he's never gonna sniff the playoffs.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I would say this is a good signing but not for $45.3 million for 3 years.

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Hahahahahaha!!!!!
    Good old Al, always making our lives as Charger fans easier...

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Fuking Al.

Hope Cro doesn't think he lives in wacko land as well.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I like Asomugha. I think he's incredibly talented and I think he should have been paid like a top 10-15 DB because that's what I think he is. But that much money is absolutely insane, he's the highest paid corner in the history of the NFL! This isn't as insane as giving as much money to players like Tommy Kelly or Javon Walker or DeAngelo Hall but seriously he's not the "Peyton Manning" of his position, and that's what $15mil/year is

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    DB = Douche Bag

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    When you suck as much as the Raiders do, this is what you need to do to keep stars around. Aso would have to be an idiot not to take a deal like that. He gets almost 30 mil guaranteed to play 2 years with the Raiders, 45 mil guaranteed if he plays all 3 years. $15 mil guaranteed per year, is a pretty damn good deal, **** players would love to get $15 mil a year let alone having it all guaranteed.

Plus it's a short deal, he cashes in now, then in 2 or 3 years he'll be out of that **** hole.

10. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Yeah it's like "all you gotta do is play for the Raiders." I can tell you 90+% of people would take that kind of money even if it were the Raiders.
    Long live Al!!!!

11. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Good for Asomugha. After retardedly paying Hall all that $$$, while letting Nmadi sit on a franchise tag, the Raiders owed him that. That was THE dumbest decision of a really looney offseason last year. To give all that $ to a overrated buster like Hall, when you have a homegrown star who's better, left waiting for his longterm deal. You'd HAVE to overpay him to even think of staying in that garbage bag of a team.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Long live Al my *** after this **** .....

Asomugha signed a three-year deal that is worth a minimum of $45 million and could reach $50 million, a league source said.

It’s a complex contract that the NFL had to sift through and approve, and it has. The deal works like this:

The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid cornerbacks in the game or $16.875 million — whichever is greater. If the Raiders fail to pick up the option, Asomugha will become a free agent, with Oakland not having the ability to tag him again.

It’s a complex deal, but the bottom line is it’s done. The Raiders kept Asomugha and punter Shane Lechler without having to use a franchise tag.

Now every top-shelf player is going to be exploring this kind of deal. Al just single-handedly phucked the rest of the NFL. Agents are licking their chops & owners are lining up hit-men to bust a cap in Al's ***.

What do you think it's going to cost teams to sign their best players now? Goodell should squash this - fast. :icon_evil:

13. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Look at the deal Chump Bailey got from Denver. Granted it's not like Aso's but has Bailey really delivered the goods? I'm thinking he hasn't.

Can't blame a guy for going after the loot, especially playing in Jokeland. The money might help ease the pain of playing there. I think Aso is a good DB, but not for that kind of money.

Now, we'll see if he can play up to the size of the contract or did he just hit a huge a payday and he'll start coasting?

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That wasn't my point. The thing about this deal is the guarantees - it's unlike what's been done before & will set a trend that teams will struggle to match.

Uncle Al just **** in the sandbox.

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Add on the possibility of an uncapped year. 2010 could be a no football year. With this kind of money being thrown around, the players union might be resistant to having a cap, but that would kill the league if they did that. The only saving grace is that the head fuk head is not around anymore, R.I.P.

The owners will not play without a cap.

Strike or Lockout is looming if things are not worked out soon.

16. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Ooh! I never thought of that. You're right. This is just going to encourage other guys to go after huge contracts and then next year, oh God someone will go for even more money. Al just ****ed the whole system up. But maybe Goddell will see it that way and fix his mistake, not by recalling the contract but refusing to do it again.