1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Raiders sign an NCAA co-coordinator with NO NFL or HC experience as their coach...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thunderstruck, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Lane Kiffin...

The funniest part is that Raider fans are just thrilled, as if they even have a CLUE whether a 32-year-old college coach with about as thin a resume as you could possibly find will be any good in the NFL.

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Raiders sign an NCAA co-coordinator with NO NFL or HC experience as their coach..

I read he was 30 and NFL Network had him as 31.

He is getting older by the hour :lol:

What do you expect from Raider fans...i think their just happy that SOMEBODY accepted the job :D

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Raiders sign an NCAA co-coordinator with NO NFL or HC experience as their coach..

They are just excited he didn't turn them down.

They were excited about Shell last year.

Just about anything excites them. They are the worst team in the NFL so it doesn't take much.

4. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383

Kiffin will do fine. They should be pleased. Young is the way to go and he will be able to help the Raiders' offense. Their defense is fine. Good hire in MTL's opinion. He is a great talent evaluator as well so maybe the Raiders will finally have a solid draft through and through with his help. Expect Steve Smith or Jarrett to be a Raider.

5. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432

:icon_rofl:

Anyone got a BS flag I can throw?

6. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383

While you're at it go find me a biased coksucker flag that I can throw :tup:

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715

was just reading about this over at RF.net.:turdspuke:

They mostly seem to be happy that they weren't the last team to hire a HC this year.:icon_toast: :clap:

Its a bold move but seems to me a youngster with no previous head coaching experience isn't going to encourage Sweatsuit Al to relinquish much control.:yes:

8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

Why do people keep saying "young is the way to go?" I'll bet most of the people saying this are, well...young. Young people always think older people are fogeys who don't know crap.

This looks to me like yet another NFL fad, like when defensive-minded coaches were "the way to go," or west-coast offenses were "the way to go." Just because a couple teams have had success with young coaches doesn't mean that suddenly everyone over the age of 40 has no clue.

9. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:
    :abq2: :abq1: :abq2: :abq1: :abq2: :abq1:

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,475

I dont know, I guess they think young coaches have naturally adapted to the new age game. A few of older coaches(Sherman, Martz, Gibbs, Parcells, Coughlin ect..) struggled this year. And last.

11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383

Young is the way to go

12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

The guys you mentioned are "retread" coaches...guys who've been in the league forever and their acts are washed up.

What I'm talking about is the movement towards coaches 35 and under. That's just a fad...it's meaningless and 5 years from now we'll have forgotten all about it. What the league really needs is fresh blood...not necessarily youth.

Cam Cameron's a perfect example. He's a new head coach, he's paid his dues, he has experience...but he's not young. Some of these new coaches that are being hired haven't paid their dues to any extent and trust me...just trust me...it is NOT going to work everywhere. There are going to be some veteran assistant coaches in this league that aren't happy with the current trend.

I don't buy that we need younger coaches because they can "better relate to modern players." BS. Coaches aren't hired to be buddies or go out and party with their players. Someone needs to be the Dad in the organization. Just because Eric Mangini has had a little bit of success so far doesn't mean that head coaches no longer need to have a few years of prior NFL experience.

13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432

Something you'd like to tell us about?

14. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

Why? Why does youth for the sake of youth suddenly trump experience?

Kiffin was hired to be Al Davis "yes-man." He may not realize it yet but there it is...

That's one of the problems with youth...the accompanying naivete'...

15. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45

Being as successful as they are, I think people are forgetting how good of a situation Mangini and Payton were walking into. New Orleans riding an emotional wave into the beginning of the season in a rebuilding city. Payton was able to pull the highest rated player in the draft at the time in Reggie Bush with the #1 pick, the steal of the draft in Marques Colston, the biggest free agent signing in Drew Brees. All the while, his team was finally allowed to play a home game after playing essentially 16 road games last year. His offensive line and defense were quite a surprise as well. Albeit, he deserves every bit of credit he can get, but not ALL the credit. He has walked into a very favorable situation.

Mangini was intended to be part of the rebuilding process in N.Y., but remember that this team was 2 years removed from the playoffs. They have had some turnover, but some bright spots still remain. They also were the beneficiary of their formerly injured qb making yet another splash (Pennington is a very efficient QB when healthy). I also like what they did with the draft, they began rebuilding their offensive line. It looks like the Jets are on the right track now.

With that said, both coaches are fortunate in some ways, and the teams that hired them are reaping in the benefits. NONE of this means that young coaches are the way to go. But it certainly reminds you that old coaches aren't the way to go, as the faiders saw with their OC. =x Let's hope this one blows up in their face yet again.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,888

its not like someone with any common sense or experience would want that job anyway

17. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383

You would ditch law school to become an NFL head coach for any team, admit it :yes:

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,298

NFL teams generally don't go to law school to fill their head coaching vacancies.

But, then again, we are talking about the same team that filled an Offensive Coordinator vacancy with someone who previously worked at a bed and breakfast.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,888

that includes the ****ing raiders, **** yeah I'd tolerate the freakin black hole

• Like Like x 1
  20. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402

Of the 5 guys you listed, only three of them were HC's this year.

21. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402

Sean Payton is 43 and didnt make any of those moves. He isnt the GM there.Mickey Loomis is their GM and is the guy who makes the moves for their team.

22. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

Sean Payton is 43? Dang, he's gotta be about washed-up by now...

23. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45

Yeah, I know he's not the GM. I was just merely pointing to the positives and how this organization as a whole was revived. Not because the job of one man.

24. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,475

Im so glad Al Davis hasnt died yet. I hope he lives tell hes 150 so we can enjoy the sorrow that franchise will endure over his entire ownership!:icon_rofl:

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

Mike Leach, HC at Texas Tech, issa lawyer.

Jes sayin.

26. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467

Don't worry, MTL has lost most of his credability in these forums long ago. :icon_rofl:

27. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467

The only smart Raiders head coach was Gruden. And I'm only saying that because he was smart enough to get out of there.

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

word

29. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,058
    I am making a request............

Can someone with Photshop skills take the baby off the Pampers Box, and replace it with this

[​IMG]

30. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

Hanestly, I would much rather the Raiders hire another retread that would guarantee failure. At least with Kiffin, there's a possibility that the Turds have found another Gruden.

That said, I don't know what that means for Rob Ryan; IMO he would've been the best man for the job. Maybe Ryan is royally ticked off at being passed over for a 30-year-old man, after spending three years as the DC. It wouldn't surprise me if Ryan leaves, it could set the Raiders back even more. Sweet! :icon_rofl:

PS. I'd love to have Ryan if Wade takes the HC job. :yes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.