1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Raiders sign oft-injured DT Joseph to fill Sapp Void

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by EsDee_in_RI, Mar 16, 2008.

1. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Raiders sign oft-injured DT Joseph
    Posted: Friday March 14, 2008 8:01PM; Updated: Friday March 14, 2008 8:01PM

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- The Oakland Raiders signed free-agent defensive tackle William Joseph on Friday, adding a former first-round pick whose career has been plagued by injuries.

Joseph missed all of last season for the Super Bowl champion New York Giants with a back injury. He was a late scratch for New York's season opener and then placed on injury reserve the following week.

Joseph was the 25th overall pick out of Miami in the 2003 draft. He played in 55 games his first four seasons before the back injury, recording seven sacks and 52 solo tackles. He also forced two fumbles and had six passes defensed.

The Raiders were looking for help on the defensive line after allowing a league-worst 4.8 yards per carry and finishing second-to-last by allowing 145.9 yards per game.

Defensive tackle Warren Sapp retired after the season, leaving a void in the middle of Oakland's defense. The Raiders resigned Tommy Kelly to a seven-year contract that guarantees him more than $18 million and now have added Joseph.

Joseph is the second Giants defender signed by Oakland in free agency this offseason. The Raiders previously signed safety Gibril Wilson to a six-year, $39 million contract.

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    How much did they overpay for this slug?

3. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I would think that IF (and thats a huge if) the raiders were smart it would be for a league minimum. But the turd writers seem to be concerned with only one thing......

"The Raiders need to add a space eater at defensive tackle. (I have probably said this in a good forty entries thus far this offseason, but it is something that I feel is a priority.) IF the Raiders can get that body in there whose job it is to clog the center guard or guard tackle gap and get double teamed, that frees everyone else up to do their jobs. If that gap is sealed, not even LaDainian Tomlinson is getting through there."
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I wonder if Al Davis has hired a medium to channel George Allen?

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    If its over the league minimum, its too much.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The hills.....are alive.....with the sounds of MOOOOOOO-SIC!

7. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    I thought Tommie Kelly was filling Sapp's void in O-ACL-and! :icon_rofl:

Stan :rivers17: