1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Raji and Maclin to the AFC West?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    March 27, 2009 5:34 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

If Todd McShay's latest mock draft, which is based on the idea of the Lions passing on quarterback Matthew Stafford at No. 1, is on the money, there will be some very interesting players headed to the AFC West. Here's a look:

3. Kansas City: Aaron Curry, linebacker, Wake Forest: This is the player most often connected to Kansas City. The Chiefs have serious defensive needs and Curry is considered the best defensive player available. If Stafford isn't the top pick to the Lions, though, Curry could be, so the Chiefs would have to reconsider their options, possibly starting with trading out of the No. 3 pick.

7. Oakland: B.J. Raji, defensive tackle, Boston College: This is fascinating. The Raiders most need tackles and receivers. In this scenario, tackles Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe and receiver Michael Crabtree would be off the board. Oakland could take Missouri receiver Jeremy Maclin, but McShay has the team taking Raji. This wouldn't be a bad pick. Raji is very talented and the Raiders could use the help in the middle of their defensive line. Still, it would be somewhat surprising to see Oakland bypass Maclin.

12. Denver: Tyson Jackson, defensive end, LSU: Many mock drafts have Jackson being Denver's pick, so the Stafford scenario doesn't change much. Jackson is being linked to Denver because he is a 3-4 player. The Broncos are adopting the defensive scheme and could use a defensive end.

16. San Diego: Jeremy Maclin, wide receiver, Missouri: This is the most eye-popping pick of McShay's AFC West selections. The Chargers really don't need a receiver. But Maclin would be an incredible value at No. 16. Again, he could easily go to Oakland at No. 7. Maclin is a sure top-10 talent. The Chargers have bigger needs on defense. Southern California linebackers Brian Cushing and Rey Maualuga (who are both available on McShay's board) could make impacts as rookies. But Maclin could make San Diego's offense one of the most multidimensional and dangerous in the league. It would be difficult to argue against this pick.

I want beef :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    don't want Raji in oakland, want him here some how

3. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Ziggy hood will be better than BJ, mark my words :icon_twisted:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    while your dreaming how about getting us a second while getting Raji? :lol:

Macklin is BS, no way he wears blue and gold. Its more plausible to see Moreno in charger colors then Macklin

5. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    consider it done!:lttehghost:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Why in the hell would we take a reciever? Are you kidding me?

McShay wins dumbass of the week award.

7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Um, Mr. McShay this is San Diego not Oakland. AJ Smith is in charge, not Al Davis. We're not getting a wide reciever.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    And on top of that, when we DON'T draft a wr, McShay will throw a fit and call AJ dumb and give us a failing draft grade.

I love it.

9. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    The last time we selected a WR, he was a disaster in Buster Davis who not only was a worse pick than Sammy Davis ... the guy had no business in round 1.

I'd have no qualms with Jeremy Maclin. If he falls to 16, he will be a tremendous value AND you can make adjustments to the roster. Whether it be trading Buster Davis to Oakland for Michael Bush OR calling Jacksonville about a Chris Chambers for John Henderson deal.

I'd rather pick a player that is potentially great than reach for a player that isn't.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm sorry but Josh McDaniels and Jay Cutler are currently sharing the dumbass of the week award for the forseeable future - please make a reservation to secure that spot earlier

In a way Macklin makes sense because its just the bpa; we could do the same thing to pick up Wells or Moreno. Its just so ridiculous to get a receiver

11. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    WHAT? First off screw both of the Davis twins. They're both major busts. Second, screw making that mistake again. Maclin's just like them, another college "superstar" that could or could not make that transition to NFL stardom. It would be a gamble and we don't want AJ gambling. Granted, the whole draft is a gamble but let's talk stakes. The possibility of picking up a good OT with a low contract is much greater than picking a bust with a huge contract. The odds of finding a superstar are even lower.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Oakland is desperate for WRs. They will take one and Maclin for sure if he is there.

KC will take Curry if he is there. That is a sure bet.

Haven't any of these Mock Draft Wizards been paying attention? :no: Fuking clueless.

They Don't need a RB THIS year.
    They Don't need a WR.

Def front 7 BEEF!!! That is what they freaking need at 16.
    OR
    BEEF for the right side of the OL.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We're gonna trade down. While Maclin may well be the BPA at 16, I don't see that pick nor do I see us remaining at 16. It's a no-man's land considering our needs & who is most likely off the boards by that pick.

14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Buster Davis does not equal Jeremy Maclin, not even bleeping close

if THAT's your concern then don't worry, maclin wouldn't end up as bad as davis

15. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    AJ will trade down and draft Hood and Wood.

16. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Word. I'm wishing for a draft day supprise and in a shocker he's available @ 16. I'm also wishing that my cat would start pooping saphire encrusted gold coins. :icon_banana:

17. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Jeremy Maclin was an All American and one of the most dangerous WR's in all of college footbal.

Buster Davis was a 2nd team all SEC punt returner who duped the Chargers into believing he was a deep threat despite not being able to catch the ball over his shoulder consistently.

How are they comparable? Not even close

If you ignore draft depth and reach for a player that doesn't warrant the selection.

That's exactly what we did with both Davis's and both those picks sucked.

18. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    All right, enough of this. You're right it's futile to compare WRs based on potential. IMO we don't NEED a WR and therefore no matter who it goes to the ends don't justify the means. Maclin will have big contract and we'll use him just as much as any other wide receiver cause we have a top-notch QB in Philip Rivers. You can pump Maclin - it's your right. But we can come up with plenty of reasons to PASS on that one and since this forum is all about pretending to actually know what's going on we certainly will attack such a pick.

19. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    I thought it was about discussion of what to do in the draft.

While I agree that WR isn't our primary need, you can always adjust the roster with a trade or two. A trade of Chambers to Jacksonville for John Henderson changes roster needs in one shot.

Malcolm Floyd and Buster Davis are injury prone AND Davis isn't very good. To make matters worse ... Chambers, Jackson, and Floyd's contracts are all up after this year.

I'd rather select the BAA at a position of need even if it is not the primary one. For example, OLB was not our primary need when we selected Shawne Merriman, but we didn't believe that Mark Clayton was good enough to select over him even though he played a position of bigger need.

• Like Like x 1