1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ramped up pass rush expected

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    8:43 p.m. September 10, 2009

SAN DIEGO – Still smarting from what Ted Cottrell did to the defense they loved, Chargers fans watched a preseason of vanilla and reacted with alarm.

Ron Rivera smiled and indicated he'd heard there were worried rumblings about the Chargers' pass rush among the populace.

“We were bland during this period right now,” the Chargers' defensive coordinator said last week. “ ... We should be fine once we get into the season.”

Rest assured, with a spring and summer to institute a new attack, with Shawne Merriman back and Larry English having arrived, with an edict from the top that came at the time Cottrell was fired midway through last season to ramp up the pass rush, the Chargers will at least make the attempt to consistently harass every quarterback they face.

While the preseason gave away almost nothing of what Rivera might do, training camp practices revealed a defense that will give opponents multiple looks and plenty of pre-snap movement, as well as a pass rush that will come from all angles.

“Let's just say we're working on putting things together for the guys,” Rivera said. “ ... The key to what we're going to do defensively is making sure we have a good handle on our opponent.

Make sure we put our players in position to have success. Whether it be with the coverages, the front, the pressures we run. It's going to be based on how we feel we best attack our opponent.”

While all that may be true, Rivera knows what he has under the hood.

Asked if it would be crazy to think his defense wouldn't go after the quarterback more (and in more varied ways) than the Chargers did under Cottrell, Rivera answered, “Yes. The personnel we have, we've been very fortunate this team has some quality players.”

There is a belief at Chargers Park that Cottrell wanted to make a name for himself, separate himself from Wade Phillips, the man for whom he worked in Buffalo and followed as defensive coordinator here, and who it was believed Cottrell would emulate when he arrived in 2007. There is also a belief Cottrell panicked and went into a shell when Merriman went down early last season. Cottrell certainly didn't ever have any answers, either on the field or off.

Rivera has mostly declined to bite on comparisons to Cottrell or to disparage the man he replaced last November.

But asked if there were times the Chargers' defensive personnel was not utilized properly (i.e., dropping Shaun Phillips into pass coverage as often as or more than rushing him) Rivera said, “That's true, too. At certain times we haven't used them to the best of their ability, and at other times we haven't had everybody healthy.”

For further assurance that the rush is on, look no further than the confidence the players in the secondary are showing that things will be different with English having been drafted in the first round, a new emphasis on even the defensive line getting upfield and with Merriman back.

“Balls are going to be off line,” Weddle said. “(Quarterbacks) are not going to be on point every play. Those are the chances we can have to make plays.”

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie spoke of being grateful to Phillips and Merriman for their part in his 10-interception 2007. It's Cromartie's gigantic picture on the front of Chargers Park making that one-handed interception against Peyton Manning, but he knows Merriman was on Manning like a blanket as the Indianapolis quarterback let go of that pass.

“Without them, there is nothing possible,” Cromartie said of the Chargers' pass rush. “You can see that from last year.”

After leading the league in sacks in 2006 with 61 and ranking fifth in '07 with 42, the Chargers were 22nd in the NFL with 28 sacks last season. Not coincidentally, their pass defense fell from 13th in '06 and 14th in '07 to 31st out of 32 last season.

The secondary has taken much of the blame and deserves some. They have worked since March on being more precise, knowing their assignments and trusting each other. What showed in this preseason is that the Chargers'secondary was generally solid even without exotic blitzes and any real pressure.

“The way the defensive backs have worked,” Rivera said, “we should be happy.”

But everyone knows where it starts.
    “When you don't get anything up front,” Cromartie said, “it makes our jobs a lot harder.”

2. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    well, I'll believe it when I see JaBustus hitting the turf for the sixth or seventh time monday night.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    All I can say is show me what'cha got

4. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Talk is cheap.

You better unleash the beast, Rivera.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Shut up and play.

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Let's set a record Monday night. We had 9 on 'em last time we played 'em MNF. Why the hell can't we get more?

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Let's just win the damn game and I don't care how it gets done.

8. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I'm all for winning the game but they have to win it in a solid fashion. That Steeler victory last night was ugly. I want the offense and defense on the chargers to play solid. I want to see pressure on the qb and I want to stop the run.

On offense I want to see LT break a few long ones and have a good short, intermediate and long passing game.

I want to see good special teams play.

I know that sounds like a lot to ask and I know I wont see it all (Especially since I'm not even mentioning penalties) but If I see the team doing good in 3/4 of the things I listed above they should win comfortably. It will also give them momentum for the tough upcoming they got coming up.

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

10. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    UNLEASH THE KRAKEN!!!!!

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Isnt that a chant that better fits the TITANS?:icon_huh: :lol:

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    :football:
    CRY HAVOC AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR!!!
    :football:

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Cosign

14. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    But doesn't the Kraken get killed by Davy Jones?

15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Seriously tho'...

How hard will it be to get to this bastard?

[​IMG]

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

I understand what you're saying but at this time of year the defensive units are usually ahead of the offensive units. I'm sure there will be some minor mistakes in all the aspects of the game, I just hope they don't lead to points against us.

I'd love nothing more than to have the Bolt's in mid-season form but that is asking a lot. A win in my mind at this time helps this team get off to a fast start. 1-0 sure sounds better to me than 0-1.:icon_toast:

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    If the Chargers lose this first game... I will ask to change my screen name to B4L II.

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    :icon_eek: :no: :icon_huh:

19. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    :icon_rofl: DITTO!!!

20. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    You're absolutely right man. Especially since the bolts have had a habit of starting slowly.

I'll be honest though. I really do want to see a solid running game. That's going to help us with the next few opponents.

21. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156

Attached Files:

22. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    RELEASE THE SHAUWNES:abq1:

I'm looking forward to seeing how our ST plays against oaklands ST. They aren't too bad in that area

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

We all want to see the LT of three years ago, we were spoiled by him and I can't wait to watch him run wild through defense's again.