1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rams back to LA?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Workplay, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
  2. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Like anything else it's always just a threat (teams are required to exhaust all available remedies before moving) but with public stadium financing being so unpopular these days the odds of them moving have to be pretty high.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    How so?

5. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    It won't! The City of san Diego is not in the right financial "mood" to donate a new stadium site at ZERO upfront cost to the Spanos Family. They want the Q site and that is prime RE worth Hundred$ of Million$. The Spanos Family doesn't want sites in bum farg Egypt (sorry Oceanside and Chulawanna!)

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    It sounded to me like khan is the one footing this proposal.

I doubt it's in a effort to get STL to put up the $$ for a new stadium, as we're too cheap around here.

And khan wants to use zero public money. I see it as a real possibility when u factor in they want to build another stadium in LA not use the one that was built to attract a team.

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    True or not, the Chargers consider south of LA to be part of their market, they don't want another team moving in on their perceived territory. So I figure they'll probably start threatening to leave as well, and with another team competing for the turf id expect them to be taken more seriously.

But to be honest after all these years of trying and failing and the piss poor crowd support, I'm not sure San Diego even deserves a team anymore.

Even if the Rams get LA, Spanos may just decide he has no other choice than to build the damn stadium himself like he probably should have in the first place. Or they'll leave for San Antonio... Parts are finally movin.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    If San Diego "doesn't deserve a team", then LA surely doesn't. The ONLY ones pushing for a team in LA are the NFL owners.... not the citizens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If it takes away an alternate option for the Chargers then it weakens their argument and therefore hurts.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I agree that it won't but everything you said past that has nothing to do with how a Rams move to LA affects the Chargers' chances at a new stadium in San Diego.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    With San Diego being a military town (re: people from all over the nation living there....taking their hometown loyalties with them) and also being a prime vacation spot (especially in the Winter) EVERY football team is going to have the issues the Chargers have with opposing team fans if they were playing home games in San Diego.

So, basically you're saying the city doesn't deserve a team because they host the 2nd largest Navy base in the nation (largest for a sports city) and a host of other military bases and because it's a warm city everyone wants to go to in the Winter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    It would help the Chargers if the stadium could be built without anyone in it, but everything I've read suggests that construction will not go forward without a team committing to play there in 2016 and beyond. This announcement just forces the Chargers hand, and if the Rams end up there the Spanos' have lost a lot of leverage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    You've been sooo cranky lately!

With that said, if the Rams move to LA it will definitely weaken the Spanos leverage and argument. Dean and his counsel (Fabiani?) have often agued that the Chargers draw many fans from both LA and OC and unless they are talking about "opposing" fans, that notion holds water! I've personally known of the affluent OC and LA types who are casual Chargers fans (mostly through family ties to the City / County) and in the good old days of the Dot.Bombs et al, were spending the dough on pricy tickets etc. But now that this stadium has literally become a decrepit historical site (or sight) those types rather stay home and watch games in their luxury home theater rooms with all the amenities, instead of daring to venture into the Q's loos to soak their Guccis and Loubies in p*ss!

Spanos has to understand that in San Diego, most people who are ardent Chargers fans and attend the games are actually San Diegans. If he wants those fair weather fans whom he cherishes north of San Onorfe, he must then put his big boy pants on and prospect to move him team to LA and then put a great product on the field, not just something mediocre glossed over with a brand new shiny abode.

Something already tells me that the Spanos Family is small time as compared to the real sharks who swim in the LA sport market and as such, he will be laughed at if he wants a free piece of land and also to retain total family control over the franchise. I suspect that scenario has already played out behind closed door quite a few times.

Are we good now? ;)

14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    If anything, (being a native Southern Californian) a team and a stadium in L.A. will probably have the exact same issues with attendance and a partial fan base showing up for home games as we have in San Diego. It's part of the culture here. Great weather, lots of other things to do, and if the price of a ticket for a football game is too high, you go to the beach or to the mountains for some ski time.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    What gives you the impression I've been cranky?

Why do people on the internet always jump to the assumption that disagreeing with and challenging an opinion equates to anger?

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    You mad bro? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I guess so, yeah.

The reasons WHY the team isn't well supported, doesn't change the fact that the team is not well supported. It's the 8th largest city in the country, over 3 million people live in the county, if so few care that we can't fill a 70,000 seat stadium more than HALF full with Charger fans....then maybe this town can't support the NFL.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Calling it the 8th largest city in the country is misleading because there are many other "smaller" cities that reside in much larger metropolitan areas.

For instance, Washington DC is #23 on the population list but is 4th largest metropolitan area in the US.

San Diego is #18 on that list, and only Riverside (yes, Riverside) and LA don't have football teams in those larger.

All of that said, I get your point even if I think the "50 percent" presumption is a bit of an over-exaggeration.

That might have been true for the New England game, but for the most part we still outnumber them....at least in all of the games I've been to.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yadda yadda........Enough people have permanent residence within driving distance (metro, country, town, village hovel whatever...) that I should not hear Bronco fans roaring in Qualcomm when they score a TD. Even Raider fans have a solid showing at the Q when they suck, and when they're just decent like they were a few years ago it's downright embarrassing.

It is a unique city, and that is a problem that won't change.

20. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Hold on their hot pants
    Don't get your panties twisted:tup:
    ( did you get all the scarcasum their)

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    I can't spell

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I was at the game. The impression most watching the game would take away was that it was packed with Pats fans. This is not true. Yes, there was a considerable amount of Pats fan in attendance, but nowhere near 50%, maybe 35%-40% being generous. The cameras are pointed at the visitor's bench which is ALWAYS consumed by visiting fans. Why? Because those seats mostly suck, esp those in the field level rows 1-20. On the home side it was almost completely full of Chargers fans with a sprinkling of Pats fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    And that's my point.

But I don't think it's fair to say that those that are loyal to the team don't deserve it just because of the city's unique dynamics.

Also, as I stated, the whole "50 percent" thing is a gross exaggeration. The perception is there because there's indeed often an inordinate amount relative to many other home games for other teams (and it isn't helped by when the Chargers are losing and the opposing fans can inevitably be heard more), but the Charger fans still outnumber them by at least a 2 to 1 ratio.

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    And that's my whole point, we don't have enough "loyal" fans.

BTW from what I've heard from people who were actually there that Bronco game was 60/40 at best. You don't get that in Kansas City, or Seattle, or Green Bay, or Atlanta etc...

25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Amen.

Once or twice--at the last minute--I had to settle for seats in Sections 5 or 6. :unsure:
    Despite being in the "visitor section" you're also looking right into the sun
    when you try to watch the field... :poop:
    it's no accident that the Chargers are always on the south side of the field.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Of course you don't get that in Green Bay. Who's going to fly to Green Bay in the middle of the Winter for a football game except for a diehard fan who wants to see Lambeau before he dies?

You can make similar arguments for those other cities you listed, but the fact of the matter is they don't have anywhere near the dynamics the city of San Diego has when it comes to people from other areas living and/or visiting there.

Also, "60/40", while surely made up on the spot, is still less than 50 percent (I'm assuming the 60 is Chargers fans). I'd be willing to bet it wasn't quite that mixed, though. People have a tendency to exaggerate whenever something is of inordinate proportion.

Also, at what point in time did we determine that the sole determination of loyalty is buying a ticket to the game?

27. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    You had said that you agreed with most of what I had stated, yet got your knickers in a twist by asking me as to what it had to do with the Rams moving to LA, vis a vis the Chargers situation.

Cranky way of responding. Now take this opportunity and endear me!

28. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Yes, the percentages get wildly exaggerated. It's easy to tell the different in crowd noise when the Chargers score vs when the opponent scores. The Pats game was the worst I have seen, it seemed close to 50/50. I also understand that a large chunk of the sunny side is owned by a bunch of ticket agencies.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I'm still not sure how you read emotion out of that.

I'd also like to think I'm a more relevant expert on my mood than you are, but ok.