1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rams headed for LA?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    1/26/2012 @ 10:21AM |3,186 views
    Kroenke's Bid For Dodgers Implies Rams Are Headed To L.A.
    Forbes 400 member Stan Kroenke is among those bidding for the Los AngelesDodgers. Kroenke’s bid for the Dodgers was first reported by the Daily Mail and later confirmed by Forbes.
    If the billionaire gets the MLB team thenSt. Louis can say adios to the NFL’s Rams, who have been in Kroenke’scontrol since August 2010 when he dolled out $450 million to buy the 60% percent share of the team held by Chip Rosenbloom and his sister, Lucia Rodriguez.
    NFL rules prohibit an owner from having controlling interest in a major sports team outside of the football team’s market. Kroenke is the world’s biggest sports mogul, with controlling stakes in the NBA’s Denver Nuggets, the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche, MLS’ Colorado Rapids and the iconic English soccer club Arsenal. He also started his own regional sports network, Altitude Sports and Entertainment, for his teams inDenver. It is the likely strategy for whom ever buys the Dodgers to do the exact same thing with either Fox or Time Warner.
    Farmers Field, a new football stadium proposal for Los Angeles that is being developed by AEG could be ready by the 2016 NFL season. The timing would work out nicely for Kroenke. His lease agreement with the city runs through 2025 but has a clause that allows the Rams to leave every 10 years unless the Edward Jones Dome is not judged to be in the top 25 percent of all NFL stadiums. The stadium is most likely in the bottom half of the league after new stadiums in Dallas and New York.
    Next Wednesday, Feb. 1, is the deadline for the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission to outline how it will transform the Edward Jones Dome into a “first-tier” stadium by 2015. If it fails to do so, the Rams can break their lease and bolt St. Louis after the 2014 season. I don’t see how the politicians think they can get taxpayers in a city that has never been a hot-bed for football, to agree to pony up the $50 million or so of taxpayer money that would be needed to make Edward Jones Dome among the league’s elite stadiums, especially since $24 million in public money from the state and city are already slotted to pay off the stadium’s debt through 2025.
    Even if Kroenke doen’t get the Dodgers, the fact that he is bidding for the team implies the Rams are bolting for L.A.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    As it should be. Anyone but us.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,154
    Please, please, please, please, PLEASE!!!

(p.s. And while we're at it, let's give the L.A. Rams those sweet, crisp 1965
    blue & white uniforms, and the San Diego Chargers their '65 powder blues!)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    If it happens and the lambs go to L.A., there will be a lot of people scraping off those rayder bumper stickers from their vehicles...

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Until the Raiders move back to LA too..........

6. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    So unless Im reading this wrong, wouldn't Kroenke have to sell off all his interests in Colorado and England for this to be possible ???
    That reason alone makes the move of the Rams back to LA very unlikely more than credible in my opinion.

7. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    thats what I was wondering. It is going to be very interesting over the next few weeks. I do know that LA wants 2 teams so the Rams and possibly the Jags.

8. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Randy Lerner the Cleveland Browns owner also owns a controlling share in Aston Villa FC in the English Premiership as far as I know. He dosent own Villa outright I dont think, more like 70%.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Back to Cali... Back back to Cali... I'm goin back to Cali...

I dont think so....

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,417
    Ugh, no. The black and white uniforms suck.

Old doesn't always equal good.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Having control of the team =/= having a controlling stake. He can have up to 50% of a team and still not be in conflict with the NFL's policy.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    It makes the move damn near impossible IF (and it's a big if) Kroenke successfully purchases the Dodgers.

The NFL rule says you can't own two sports franchises in the same market effectively. This keeps Steinbrener from buying the Jets or Giants, Robert Kraft from buying the Red Sox, and it's the main reason why Phil Anschutz has intimated that any NFL team that plays in Farmers Field would have to be owned by him personally, because AEG is a conglomerate of which he is a member, but (at least the loophole I believe he's trying to exploit - and Loren correct me if my legalese is wrong) just because he is A majority owner in AEG (which owns the LA Kings, the LA Galaxy, and a minority stake of the Lakers) does not make him a majority owner of the franchises themselves, per say.