1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Randall Godfrey wants to play two more years

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Kevin Acee

February 21, 2007 <!--- BODYTEXT --->Chargers linebacker Randall Godfrey, who has talked about retiring after each of the past two seasons, yesterday said he plans on continuing his career.

In fact, he said, “I'm approaching it like I'm playing two more years. I'm still having fun. It's still in me.”

Last night, the club and Godfrey's agent began talking about what it will take for Godfrey to remain a Charger. General Manager A.J. Smith told Godfrey before last season he would be welcomed back in 2007.

The 34-year-old Godfrey, a veteran of 11 seasons, said whether he returns to San Diego will depend “on what kind of role they want me as. I've just got to make sure how they're using me.”
    Godfrey's playing time the past two seasons has been split with Stephen Cooper, with Cooper's time increasing. But Godfrey also had some stellar games last season, showing he can still play. He said he will be a “security blanket” but wants to contribute in a meaningful way.

“I'd love to play in San Diego,” he said. “ . . . They've got a good team. They're starting to look toward the future (at linebacker). They've committed a lot of money to those young guys in front of me.”
    He also said he would like to play for Wade Phillips in Dallas.

He plans to see what kind of offers he gets – from the Chargers and other teams once free agency starts. Then he will make his decision. “It doesn't matter,” he said. “I'm free. If I don't get any action I'll fade into the sunset and go fishing every day. I'm good either way.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070221-9999-1s21godfrey.html

2. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Godfrey's still a solid LB and I'd be glad to see him back here. As long as he doesn't ask for too much. I don't expect him to draw too much interest in free agency, so it should be workable.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    he's still solid on the field and as a leader, so I imagine there'll be some teams interested in him. The only issue is that we're kinda full up on ILBs

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    From what he said, I don't see him coming back. AJ's not too interested in throwing a bunch of money at aging players that aren't sure where they want to play.

I think he'd be great to have back for his leadership, for depth and to play in certain formations and situations. But he's not going to be an every down backer for this team anymore.

The fact that Godfrey referred to the Chargers as "they" instead of "we" makes me think that he's giving serious thought to playing elsewhere.

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think both Wade and Manusky make a play for him, but Bobby Carpenter is holding down Godfrey's spot in Dallas, so he wouldn't start there.

I doubt AJ goes above minimum to keep Godfrey.

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    If he stays as a backup, I am fine with it. But my boy Coop needs to see the majority of the snaps though. AJ signed him to a long term deal to play NOW, and I certainly don't want two contracts tied up into the same position.

Randall would make a tremendous backup, but the future is NOW at his position.

COOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I expected one more year but two is even better. I know he has atleast another year left in the tank.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Not to mention Wilhelm too

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    leisure's boy Marty played veterans even if they were hooked up to a slow drip morphine tube on their death bed.

That's gonna change. Norv got that memo.

10. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Wait! I thought players and coaches didn't want to come back with the changes!

11. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Randall Godfrey sucks balls he is a backup, period. He sucks in coverage and is anything but a playmaker. He can't even plug up holes like he used to.