1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Randy Moss "Glides" Through The First Pats Minicamp.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thread_Killer, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    This is classic! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Moss’ growth minimal: First camp looks like slow-motion replay
    By Michael Felger/ Patriots Insider
    Boston Herald Patriots Beat Columnist
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - Updated: 06:29 AM EST

FOXBORO - If you want to get excited about Randy Moss and what he’ll bring to the Patriots [team stats] in 2007, here’s a bit of advice:

Don’t watch him practice.

That was the impression made during the four days of non-contact workouts the media was allowed to watch last week at Gillette Stadium. Perhaps Moss will ramp it up when training camp opens July 27, but if minicamp was any indication, fans probably shouldn’t expect any fireworks.

Nearly every regional and national media outlet was there to record Moss’ Patriots introduction, and most reports focused on the promise he brings to Tom Brady [stats] and the offense. Many dispatches also made sure to point out the three or four nice catches he made during those four days. In addition, Moss spoke to the media for about nine minutes Wednesday, which might have distracted the fourth estate from reporting what Moss actually did on the practice field.

Which, in short, wasn’t much. While newcomers Wes Welker, Donte’ Stallworth and Kyle Brady hustled through their first days on the job, and veterans such as Tom Brady, Rodney Harrison [stats] and Tedy Bruschi [stats] continued to exemplify the Patriots Way, Moss moved at his own pace. He rarely dug in. More often than not, he glided. On balance, the most talented receiver of this generation was just another guy.

You’d have thought Moss would have taken the opportunity to make an early statement, maybe run from drill to drill across the field, lead the sprints at the end of practice, blow by the slower and smaller players trying to cover him, whatever. Show a little hustle. Little things.

But it pretty much was the opposite. Moss was content to remain in the pack. He never was first in line. He certainly didn’t make
    defensive backs look foolish. Aside from climbing the ladder once or twice on high throws, he didn’t give any hints of his prodigious physical gifts. It’s true the entire proceedings were run at about three-quarters speed, but that didn’t stop Brady, Welker and Harrison from giving full effort. Moss’speedometer seemed stuck at around 60 percent.

On Day 1, Moss stretched by himself while the rest of the team was in formation. On Day 4, coach Bill Belichick put his veterans through an extended session of field-length sprints (gassers). Moss was the last player in his position group to cross the end line on just about every one.

Based on his performance, it was as if Moss was saying, “I don’t care how I’m viewed. I don’t care about my reputation. I’m going about business the same way.” In fact, that pretty much is what he said. “To be honest with you,” Moss said, “I don’t plan on changing.”
    In one regard, the statement showed some pride. Moss is no robot, and he clearly felt no need to put on a dog-and-pony show just because people expected him to. Perhaps he feels giving in like that diminishes what he’s done to this point of his Hall of Fame career. Fine.

But isn’t the comment a little scary coming from someone whose career just might be defined by this season? Moss’ talent is beyond question. His numbers are cemented in the record books. But can he be a professional and an adult on a team defined by its work ethic? Can he be a trustworthy teammate and do all the little things it takes to be a champion? The Patriots have given Moss the opportunity to salvage a damaged reputation, just as they did with Corey Dillon [stats] in 2004. But does Moss understand the chance he’s been given?

On one level, the Patriots had better hope Moss was dogging it at minicamp, because if the performance was an actual indication of what Moss has left in the tank, the entire character discussion will become moot.

Click the link below for the entire article:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1006060

• Like Like x 2
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Moss dogging it? The media largely ignoring it?

I'm stunned.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    It's not shocking... but I am still suprised that his lack of commitment is so blatent. I thought this guy actually had some sense of pride... :unsure:

4. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Are you channeling leisure? :icon_shrug:

:lol:

5. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You'd have to be blind, deaf and mentally retarded to have predicted anything else. Sadly, most members of the media predicted something else. :icon_shrug: :lol:

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You mock me...

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He'll have plenty of time for reflection after we smack him around on 9/16! :icon_tease:

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well they say Moss doenst grow on rollin stones. I guess that means that Moss dont move.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Hopfuly he'll pull as many crazy stunts as he did in Minnesota!!!:yes: :icon_twisted:

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. He's on a team that won't take his crap. Once the alienation sets, the soap opera will begin.

:lol:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I cannot wait until it all implodes in Belicheks face.

12. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Considering the talent that the Pats already have on their offense, Moss was going to be part of the crowd, anyway. People who were thinking Randy was going to find the fountain of youth under the cobble stones of Boston were talking through their hats. If Randy messes up, I figure they'll just cut him. He won't be allowed to become some festering sore.

13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The problems Randy will create are insidious. They won't be overt. IT's not like Randy's going to punch a coach in the face. But he'll dog it. He'll chip away at team morale. And by the time they realize it, Belichick and crew will have hitched their wagon to Randy. They won't have a choice but to stay with him.

As for the great talent on the Pats offense, I don't really see it. Brady's a great QB. Stallworth, assuming he's healthy and not on drugs is solid. Welker's is an overrated possession receiver. Moss is a cancer. The other guys are just guys. Maroney is a good young RB, but he's never carried the load for an NFL team. And he had injury problems last year while he was splitting time.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think this is pride among Bellichek, he wants to prove he can fix almost anyone

15. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I'm hoping that moss will be a cancer in the locker room and he punches tom brady right in the nose ! :abq1: :icon_toast: :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    That'd be amusing :lol: but by then even Bellichek would've had enough but also by then Welker and Stallworth will be injured, so back to using good ol Gaffney and Caldwell :lol:

17. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Poor Reche is like 9th on the depth chart after the Pats signed all those receivers.

:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Grizzafted

Grizzafted BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Funny, I remember whooping your asses with that same set of scrub wideouts.

You guys got another thing coming to you in September. Again. I'll be there in the stands.

19. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    what ever mate..come september LT will have his revenge:abq1: :abq2: :abq1: :abq2: now thats a guarentee

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You guys won the game. I'm not sure it constituted an "***-whooping."

21. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    If by "***-whooping" he means they held out their hands and accepted the box with the big bow on top, then yes, it was an ***-whooping.

Then again, what would the Patriots "dynasty" be without those kinds of gifts?

• Like Like x 3
  22. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I don't think you understand the difference between an arse woopin and a squeky win.

Here is what they say when you get an arse woopin..........

http://patriots.scout.com/2/449458.html
    Or this.......http://www.nfl.com/scores/2005/week4

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 id=head vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD class=columnrow align=left width="50%">
    Now that's an arse woopin.............

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

23. Grizzafted

Grizzafted BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I will admit that was a tough game to watch. We did get our asses handed to us there, with Rodney Harrison out, Ted Johnson retired, and Tedy Bruschi a stroke victim.

Just, don't hang onto that game as reflective of anything about anything. If the entire middle of our defense is hurt or gone in week 2, maybe you'll see something similar. I think you'll find a low scoring close game is more likely.

No, it wasn't an *** whooping last January. But those scrubby wideouts burned your secondary repeatedly, including for the game winner. Now we upgrade heavily and you turn that into a positive? You guys sound like wishful thinking talking about Moss, that's all.

Should be a barn burner. Can't wait.

24. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    We will burn your barn on this one.........concede now and save your pride cause here comes destiny........:abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Grizzafted

Grizzafted BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Norv's going to walk into the game thinking he can go 1-LT 2-LT 3-Pass and you're going to get your asses kicked. Should be fun!

26. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Word

• Like Like x 1
  27. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Does that make Billy Goat Gruff some kind of evil genius? They've been winning with more than just chopped liver. I hope you're right, I hope he stays on the roster. If Moss creates problems on the team, then watching the Pats will be even more fun because we'll get to watch our guys knock his wienie in the dirt again and again. If Bill's ego is running away with him like the anteater says, then we'll have some good ol' Wagnerian sturm and drang to entertain ourselves with as well. But then, it's Randy. It might be just a soap opera.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    You know, dooood, I really, really, really hope that's what the Pat's wrap their game plan around. I hope Bill stands in the pregame locker room, pocket watch rocking in gentle rhythms from his limp wrist, slowly repeating, "LT, LT, LT, LT, LT, LT". "You will wake up at the two minute warning".

:tup:

• Like Like x 1