1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ranking AFC West receivers....Come On Guy!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JAMES ORNELAS, May 18, 2012.

1. JAMES ORNELAS

JAMES ORNELAS Bolt Head Till I'm Dead!!

Ratings:
    +13
    By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

Continuing our 2012 AFC position-by-position rankings, here are the receivers. It’s a young, fairly unproven group that lost top players Vincent Jackson and Brandon Lloyd in the past year:

1. Dwayne Bowe, Kansas City: With Jackson gone, Bowe, who received the franchise tag by the Chiefs this offseason, is the clear top receiver in the division.

2. Malcom Floyd, San Diego: Floyd is good, but he probably wouldn’t be ranked this high in most divisions. If he can stay healthy, he can be a star.

3. Darrius Heyward-Bey, Oakland: I have a lot of respect for Heyward-Bey for taking a big step during the 2011 season. He still is not perfect and he has to prove he can be a consistent player, but he has a chance.

4. Demaryius Thomas, Denver: I bet Thomas will be ranked at least No. 2 on this list next year. The sky is the limit.

5. Eric Decker, Denver: Peyton Manning is already talking him up. You know what that means -- lots of catches.

6. Denarius Moore, Oakland: Moore showed flashes as a rookie and he has star potential. He will be given a chance to shine.

7. Robert Meachem, San Diego: Meachem is not as good as Jackson was, but he fits the Chargers’ vertical offense and he will make his presence felt.

8. Jon Baldwin, Kansas City: Baldwin has large potential and he easily could be in the top three on this list next year. He has to show he’s ready for the challenge.

9. Jacoby Ford, Oakland: I’m a big Ford fan, but his health and the presence of Heyward-Bey and Moore may make him a third option.

10. Vincent Brown, San Diego: The Chargers love this kid. Expect nice, big numbers this year.

11. Steve Breaston, Kansas City: He’s a solid, steady receiver who can help his team win.

12. Andre Caldwell, Denver: He will be interesting to watch. The Broncos think this free-agent pickup could make his presence felt.

13. Louis Murphy, Oakland: Murphy can’t stay healthy and other receivers may have bypassed him. But he’s a pro who knows how to come up with the big catch.

14. Eddie Royal, San Diego: The former Denver receiver will be given a chance to shine in the Chargers’ rotation.

15. Devon Wylie, Kansas City: This is a projection pick. The Chiefs love him and think he can come in and make some catches as a fourth-round pick.

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Boy, what a sad state of affairs...when Heyward-Bey could crack any division's top 3!

Williamson is as optimistically positive a (AFC West) homer as I've ever seen, but I sure can't disagree
    with the rosy prognosis for Vincent Brown, or anticipation re. seeing how Norv uses Meachem's talents

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Norv has already been quoted talking about how excited he is to have a quick guy like Meachem at his disposal

. "He adds a real speed dimension to our offense," . "He’s got a different type of speed because there’s some quickness involved. Vincent Jackson, as much as I love him and had a great time with him, is a build-up speed guy. I think Robert gives us a bit of a different dimension."

4. JAMES ORNELAS

Ratings:
    +13
    He will be given a huge opportunity. He has great speed and he is a vertical threat. That is perfect for Philip Rivers arm and Norv Turner's scheme. They expect him to be a difference maker. I think health is the key for him.

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Luckily he hasn't missed any time with an injury since his rookie season but he also wasn't on the field as much as he will be with us, many people say he hasn't lived up to his potential but I think he'll shine as our number 1a/1b given if Floyd can stay healthy for all or most of the season, I'd still like to see us address a top WR in next years draft like a Justin Hunter or Keenan Allen.

I hope we use all of our WR's like they do in Greenbay

Meachem- Jennings
    Floyd- Driver (of old)
    Brown- Nelson
    Royal- Jones

• Like Like x 1
  6. JAMES ORNELAS

Ratings:
    +13
    U know whats really interesting this year is we have 5 TE's taking a page out of New England's playbook??

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    DHB as the #3 WR?......... that will be the day. :roflmao:

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Only gonna address Bolt WR's here ....

Floyd easily has the best hands in the division. His issue is staying healthy. Always has been. I'll take him healthy over VJ 8 days/wk.

Vincent Brown is ready to rock. A full off-season away.

Eddie Royal? Yeah - I'm a Virginia Tech homer. My state, my team. Beyond that? Eddie can be the Wes Welker we shat away. PR loves him & he loves PR. The man-love estrus is gonna drive your asses crazy. The production is gonna make your feelings right.

AND ..... Green is a great big TE/WR. Once Gates shows him some moves, you're gonna suck his kok.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    1. Bowe
    2. Floyd
    3. Decker
    4. Thomas
    5. Moore
    6. Meachem
    7. Baldwin
    8. Heyward-Bey
    9. Royal
    10. Ford
    11. Breaston
    12. Brown
    13. Caldwell
    14. Wylie

And if Gates could be added to this list, he'd be 1 or 2.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    For once, you posted something that didn't make you sound like a nitwit. :tup:

11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I really don' t get the undying love people have for Decker and Thomas. I see the potential, but so far it's just that.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    The same can be said for every receiver on that list except Bowe and Floyd who are proven.

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I like to keep you on your toes.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Old people prefer to sit. ;)

15. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    I like this boy's inspiring terminology and M80 manlove.

What time do you get off work ? ;)

16. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    I'm pretty sure that Gatesy is a TE Matti, so doesn't qualify him under the author's guidelines, but I think we all get your drift.

Heyward-Bey at 3 is a total joke and just shows what Williamson truly knows about the game, what a tosser, it helps if a WR can catch when ranking them Fararse Willy, you tool.

17. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Especially lanky one's with bad backs.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Depends on what time I get around to feeding the cows in the evening. :)

You gotta play catcher. :p

19. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Ahhhh, so your gonna make me do a "Shammy" are you !!!!

Sly bastage !!! ;)

20. DesertBoltFan

DesertBoltFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I'm sure most of us have read and listen to so called expert saying replacing VJ with Meachem will not pan out. I just wish someone would point out to them that a QB has a heck of a lot to do with the success of a WR. If Meachem can catch a football ( and I have seen him do it ), run a correct route, he will be just fine. Honestly, I think we will see the rise of Meachem and the decline of VJ in Tampa, JMO.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    (re. DesertBoltFan)

Well, first, I really hated to see VJ go...I think he could be one of the league's 5 best.

That said, I think your point is well taken: There isn't much (quality) difference between
    Brees & Rivers, but a Norv scheme (including deeper routes) and different depth chart
    will likely result in Meachem seeing more action here than in New Orleans.

For, VJ, though, he's likely to suffer...to look rather ordinary because of the big QB
    drop off from Rivers to Tampa's Josh Freeman. The example that leaps to mind is the phenom
    John Jefferson: Seemingly superhuman catching passes from Dan Fouts,
    JJ looked fairly average when teamed with the significantly lesser Lynn Dickey in Green Bay...

JJ Sports Illustrated.jpg JJ Spectacular.jpg

22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I agree but many people may doubt Meachem's success as a #1 because he has to go against #1 corners as opposed to the #2's or #3's he's faced in the past. I think he'll be a stud, I think he was ready to break out in N.O. but that offense was holding him back.

23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Meachem will not replace VJ. He also likely won't try to do so. He's filling a different role on the team. He was brought in to be fast, and we'll probably see a lot of change of direction routes with Meachem than we saw with Jackson based on Meachem's explosiveness. Meachem also isn't likely going to be getting a lot of jump balls thrown his way.

In 2009 we fielded a basketball team at receiver and TE. We're moving away from that with Meachem as our primary receiver. Will it be different, yes, although Floyd will likely still get a lot of jump balls. Will we be more effective? We'll find out in the fall.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We'll get to see whether the Rivers' nay-sayers at other fan bases are right. Does Rivers need the big jump-ball type of guys or can he succeed with a group with a different skill set? I say he can - he produced with damn near anyone a couple of years ago.

Just as it's Gates' chance to shut some folks up, it's Rivers as well. Last year should be motivation to prove that his interception numbers were an aberration, not the norm.

I honestly believe that we have a much more balanced group of targets for Rivers this year than we've had since he took over the reins.

25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    We've had a diverse group of receivers before but we've never had a balanced one in terms of skill set and ability level. It would be a nice change.

26. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    WOKWOKWOKWOKWOK

27. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The idea that Rivers needs big receivers to prosper is kind of ridiculous. Rivers is an insanely accurate passer.

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    If you ignore last season. ;)

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah but he throws a few too many of those sideline lob passes for my taste. I'm not sure if Norv is calling for them, or just hot routes, but it depends entirely on the WR out jumping the corner.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    He threw the ball very accurately, he just threw it to people who were covered.