1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ranking the defensive backs in the AFC West

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

June 19, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Our periodic AFC West position rankings continue with the best defensive backs in the AFC West, in my opinion:

1. Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland: Nnamdi has become, I believe, the best cornerback in the NFL. He is the definition of a shut-down cornerback.

2. Champ Bailey, Denver: Bailey is going to turn 31 Monday, and he is coming off an injury-filled season. Still, he is brilliant. This is a first-ballot Hall of Famer who is still a top player.

3. Quentin Jammer, San Diego: There is a pretty big drop off from No. 2 to No. 3, but Jammer is a good player. He had a nice season in 2008.

4. Antonio Cromartie, San Diego: Cromartie probably won't be No. 4 on this list next year. He'll either bounce back from a poor 2008 or he'll continue to slip. Yet, the team thinks he will improve because he played with a hip injury nearly all of last season.

5. Brian Dawkins, Denver: Dawkins may be much lower on this list next year if his play drops at the age of 35. But he still brings plenty of panache to Denver.

6. Eric Weddle, San Diego: Weddle is a fine player, who made a ton of tackles for the Chargers last season. Expect continued improvement.

7. Antoine Cason, San Diego: If Cromartie slips, Cason can take his job. The sky is the limit for this second-year player.

8. Jarrad Page, Kansas City: Page is a solid safety, who has play-making ability.

9. Brandon Flowers, Kansas City: Flowers made nice strides as a rookie last season. He has a chance to be a fine player.

10. Andre Goodman, Denver: Denver signed Goodman as a free agent this offseason. He is a solid pro.

11. Chris Johnson, Oakland: Johnson took over for the cut DeAngelo Hall in the middle of the season and was much better than the high-priced Hall.

12. Brandon Carr, Kansas City: Like Flowers, Carr looked promising as a rookie cornerback last season. He has nice potential.

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I'll never turn down any praise of our team, but there is no way that Cromartie should be that high after his year last year. He should be at nine behind Flowers until he shows improvement over last year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I'm not surprised he has Champ ahead of Jammer, but I'd rather have Jammer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Four in the top seven :tup: not to bad... :yes:

5. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Champ 31 :tdown:

Dawkins 35 :tdown:

Its the over the hill gang... :lol:

I guess I just hate the Donks :icon_evil:

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't care who they rank ahead of our guy's, I just want them to lay some WR's out this year. If they ain't cheating they ain't trying. That's right, I don't care how they get the job done, just get it done.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    How is Brian Dawkins a Defensive back- isn't he a Free Safety

:lol:

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635

defensive back covers cornerbacks and safties

9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    This is the NFL folks, you're payed to beat the other guy. Take his *** out and don't worry about him anymore, we ain't talking high school football.

10. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Chump Bailey makes these lists on reputation only. His performance the past few years has been crap, yet he continues to be tought of very highly only because he USED to be good.

11. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Truth :tup:

12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    And this concerns you?????

13. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Ill second that. We torch the guy every time we play the donks.

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    he lost my high regards for him when gates ****ed up denvers secondary (and i mean ****ED up) i think two seasons ago?

15. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    No, it just irks me when ANYONE gets credit for something they don't do, in this case getting credit for being one of the best db's.

16. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Just look at the final game last year. Bailey was burned repeatedly, not only be our wideouts, but by Gates as well! I actually think that Philip deliberately targets Chump due to him *****ing about Rivers' smack talk:lol:

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I think you're right and the carnage will continue this coming season.:tup:

18. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I'll tell you one thing-- Jammer's the guy I'd least want to be hit by. :frightened: