1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ranking the offseasons

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TheLash, May 17, 2007.

1. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    didn't see this already posted.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6818358
    24. San Diego Chargers
    The Chargers were pretty quiet this off-season, outside of a complete overhaul of the coaching staff. Gone is Mary Schottenheimer, and in comes Norv Turner. Is that an upgrade? Eh, we'll see. Though he's heavily credited for the growth of Alex Smith last season, his head coaching career's been nothing short of mediocre. Player wise, San Diego didn't make any huge splashes in the free agent market, keeping things in-house and locking up players from last season's 14-2 squad. OG Kris Dielman, promising young WR Malcolm Floyd, and rising star linebackers Shaun Phillips and Carlos Polk were all re-signed. Michael Turner wasn't traded, and will have one more season as the change-of-pace back behind LaDainian Tomlinson. They picked up another offensive weapon in LSU's Craig "Buster" Davis via the draft as well. Donnie Edwards, however, a tackle machine for the past several seasons in San Diego, signed with Kansas City.
    Biggest gain: Craig Davis, WR
    Biggest loss: Donnie Edwards, LB

Are they in better shape than they were in January? Seems like it's pretty much the same squad — minus Edwards and that brain trust of a coaching staff. Rivers should learn a thing or two under Turner, but he was improving leaps and bounds under Cam Cameron. They'll be fine next season, but likely not a 14-2 team.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Why not a 14-2 team...

No evidence given on why not. Since it is the same team, overall, as last year he thinks they will do worst..

Why...

Because some teams picked up some risky people in free agency, which was horrible this year. Because some teams got some rookies that will take 2-3 years to really show anything, and 80% wont be as good as expected?

At least I want some evidence to show how this team will do worst and how other teams had a "Miracle" off season. Only about 2-3 actually might have improved to any real degree.

The Pats, Raiders, Browns. The Bears lost some people, along with KC. Denver has some replacements however remember they did lose some people and they no have no real backup QB. Also they still have a lot of rookies on their team.

Texans didn't improve, Titans didnt see much there, Benagles, Dolphins (other than hiring of Wade who so far hasn't done that much. To be honest I really don't see many teams, other than the three mentioned, where I am going ot go "yea that team improved a lot."

The Lions still have a crappy team, a mediocre defense, a running game that isn't top 15. A bad o line and O yea they picked up Calvin Johnson...

Still I take all low rankings as good news. Most teams they rank high do crappy, and the Chargers that were ranked low were suppose to do bad because the new untested QB. I am not going to say east coast biased, perhaps they just distrust the Chargers however every year we get a bad ranking and every year we do better than expected (in the last 5 or 6 years)

I think it would be comical for someone to post a ranking on top sportswriters and announcers.

We can have:

#24-Peter Schrager: Not a very good season. Wrong about half the time and goes along with the crowd. I would be surprised if he is even capable of coming up with his own ideas. Unable to admit he is wrong, last year the Chargers according to him weren't going to win the division, by the end he was all over their jock strap. Overall I would say he is going to be less accurate than last year since his favorite teams: The Pats, Colts, Giants will not be as good as last year. Hell you can pick your favorite teams all the time and be right half the time, then again you will be right only about half the time.

----

Rankings like that might go a long way.

3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Biggest loss? Donnie Edwards? "Are you some kinda' mo-ron?"

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Not to nit pick... but by my recollection he was good at the begining of the year, and good at the end of the year. Leaps and bounds?

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    the only thing this is ranking is what sort of an impact you had in the offseason

we're a great team, we don't need a big splash in the offseason

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The Patriots won the offseason !!! The Raiders and Redskins seem to be the annual winners of this award. Wonder if NE will fail to make the playoffs like Oakland and Washington .....

1. New England Patriots
    2. San Francisco 49ers
    3. Oakland Raiders
    4. Denver Broncos
    5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

15. Kansas City Chiefs

24. San Diego Chargers

7. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Well if the Patriots have a similar showing as the usual offseason champion (Redskins) have, I will be one happy Charger fan.

8. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I believe he's ranking the moves teams made to GET BETTER not to stay the same. Our team stayed the same and hired a sh*tty coach to boot. Were we a good team last year? Hell yeah! Is it realistic to go 14-2 again next year? No way! Not only do we play in possibly the most competitive division in the NFL but we're also playing New England, Baltimore, Indy and Chicago next year. We as fans have to be a little realistic sometimes. If the Chargers happen to pull out a 14-2 season then great! but I wouldn't tell anyone that I knew it was going to happen.

I'm sorry I know as a Charger fan I'm supposed to completely lean towards the Chargers on everything but I'm not that type of fan. I'm not going to be upset because the Chargers don't top the list in every sports poll.

I remember our fans being a lot more humble. That was obviously before our teams recent success. And that was refreshing especially when our boards would be visited by fans of other successfull teams who were jerks. Now we've become those types of fans.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    When ranking the offseason you should be given credit for retaining your own talent. Why not give us credit for signing two pro bowl caliber players?

I don't have a problem with not being ranked at the top, but 24th seems a little low. How many other teams signed two Pro Bowl caliber players this offseason? Why does it not count if they are your own players?

So, I guess from this writer's perspective, we would have been better off if we'd lost Dielman and Phillips but signed Adalius, Welker, Moss and Stallworth. That's ridiculous.

Recognizing how misguided some sportswriters are does not make you an arrogant prick.

10. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Meh. Being at the bottom of this absurdly subjective list means little turnover... Stability is a good thing. I'm ok with that.

11. TheLash

Ratings:
    +715
    I jest posted it. I didn't write it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Remember that year we signed David Boston and won the offseason? That was sweet. Where is that offseason trophy displayed at?

• Like Like x 1
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    above the throne in the employee bathroom at Charger park

14. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Carlos Polk is not a rising star

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    You got that right. He effing sucks.

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    We're shooting the messenger, eating our young, participating in the off-season, so jes own up to it!! :yes: :tup: :icon_rofl:

17. TheLash

Ratings:
    +715
    OK it was me!:icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  18. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

You say it. When someone counts the offseason moves
    you don't get a good position when the team stays together.
    Why discuss 14-2 and a 0-1 playoffstart, when 13-3 and a Superbowlring fits better.