1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ranking the QBs in the AFC

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Bill Williamson
    ESPN

We had a shakeup amongst AFC West quarterbacks this weekend. Oakland traded for new starter Jason Campbell and Denver drafted Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, who the Broncos hope becomes a starter soon.

Because of the action, it is time to rank the quarterbacks, in my opinion, in the division. I’m only ranking the players who I project to be the starting quarterback when the season starts.

1. Philip Rivers, San Diego: OK, it’s not even close. Rivers is a top-five NFL quarterback who is getting better. He is 28 and in the prime of his career. He has premier skills, a smart player and he is a terrific leader. He is the full package. He’s the best player in this division and the primary reason why San Diego is head-and-shoulders above the competition in the division.

2. Jason Campbell, Oakland: After Rivers, the quarterback class tightens quickly. I think Campbell is slightly better than Kyle Orton and Matt Cassel. It’s very close. All three of the quarterbacks are in the same range. But I give Campbell the edge over Orton and Cassel because he is good fit and his big arm fits what Oakland wants to do. I think Campbell is a player who could be entering his prime.

3. Kyle Orton, Denver: Orton had a solid year for the Broncos last season. But he seems like a player who has reached his ceiling. The Broncos clearly must feel that way since they drafted Tebow to be the quarterback of the future. Orton is a bridge player in Denver. He is not bad, and he played better last year than I thought. Teams can do worse than with Orton behind center.

4. Matt Cassel, Kansas City: Look, this isn’t a major indictment on Cassel. I could easily see him move up to No. 2 on this list next year. He is a decent player. But I think he needs to have a strong season in 2010 to show he is better than Orton. He’ll get the opportunity. He has a better supporting cast than he did last year and he’ll have better protection. Cassel can get some things done. Now, he has to show it.

This is now a fairly respectable quarterback division when you trade out JaMarcus Russell for Campbell.

2. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I quit reading after Phillip Rivers. :tup:

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Seriously? Jason Campbell is the 2nd best QB in the division and it's respectable?

edit: Scratch that. Campbell probably isn't the 2nd best in the division. The 2nd best QB in the AFC West is playing 2nd fiddle to the best on the same team.

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    :tup:

Volek >> Campbell, Orton, or Cassel.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Is it just me or is this whole article wishful thinking about at minimum making the division more competitive and, at worse, wanting to see anyone but the Chargers at the top

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The Raiders have come close to beating us the last couple years. If FatMarcus wasn't the worst QB ever, I think they may have pulled it off in week 1 last year.

The issue, and you can ask Raider fans about this, Tom Cabel is a painfully predictable playcaller. His football knowledge in general seems limited, and according to some of the guys that played for him he's down right ignorant.

7. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    THats pretty sad. Denver spent so much for 3 worthless QBS that are still at the bottom of the division in talent:icon_rofl:

8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Bill Williamson actually took time to Write an article about Captain Obvious. :lol: :icon_rofl: :lol:

What a joke of an article. I had to quit reading after seeing the list. :tup:

I could have written the article for ESPN and done it for Free. :lol:

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I fail to see how it is a joke. The Quarterback is one of the two players who will touch the ball each and every down. The Center is the other.

So to compare the QBs of a division, especially the division you have been assigned to cover is not only logical, historical, but expected.

Should he perhaps compare kickers to make the public happy?

• Like Like x 1
  10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I would not consider it a Joke if he compared all the QB's in the AFC for instance and placed who is the best out of them but to compare just the AFC West is a Joke and there is nothing to compare right now because all you need to end it on as the best right now in the AFC West is Philip Rivers.

If Dan Williamson compared all the QB's of the NFL to include the Just Drafted QB's and do the comparing from that then there would be an article to not be a joke.

No.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    OK I see. So because Rivers is the best QB hands down in the division we don't need to talk about the others?

I would suggest that given that there are injuries in this game, even to the best QB in the division that it is appropriate to discuss them all.

Further, while one QB may be hands down the best, you have no thought as to how the others stack up? Really, well we can agree to disagree on that I guess...

Do you understand what it is that ESPN has assigned Dan Williams to do? You are aware, are you not, that this reporter's job with ESPN is to cover the AFC WEST, and only the AFCW? Further, to blog about the AFCW, with periodic small articles? So in that light, does that change your opinion?

Is it nice to compare all QBs? Hell yes! Is it what this guy gets paid to do? Hell no.

12. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I am not going to argue but I do have an opinion about comparing QB's. The QB's of the AFC West as the Teams of Quarterbacks like Philip Rivers, Billy Volek and now Jonathan Crompton VS. the Broncos, Chiefs and Raiders QB teams then there is a comparison to write about instead of in my opinion just a single QB per each Team as the Season starter.

I do know it is Willianson's Job to write small articles about the AFC West. It does not change my opinion about the Article.

I agree it is nice to compare the QB's of just a small Division Like the AFC West but as my opinion I will be wrong about comparing an individual QB VS another Individual QB in the AFC West as not needing an article about it before the Season of the 2010-11 has ended and instead of the entire team of QB's per Team before that same season began. That is my opinion.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yes, because they rest are just that bad

14. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    btw, his name is Bill Williamson

not Dan Williams. He's a Defensive Tackle. He was just drafted by the Cardinals.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Its all good, you have your opinions I have mine. Every now and again I have to beet on that shiney shell of yours... :lol:

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If you say so. I doubt the team will take them as lightly as we do...

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Campbell has the potential to do very well for Oakland, I feel bad for the kid - he's learned like 5 different systems in 6 years or something. He's very football smart and has a big arm - dont' underestimate him.

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I think Orton is better than Campbell, but not by much.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    The team shouldn't take them lightly even if you were lined up as QB for the other team. That's just bad practice and if you take the other team lightly they could shock you while you're blowing them off.

But that doesn't negate the fact that any QB that any of our AFC W opponents can throw at us is marginal at best.

I actually agree that Jason Campbell is the best of the bunch of non-Chargers AFC-W QBs, but that's not saying much and Campbell isn't all that good.

20. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

[​IMG]

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We're going to split the series with Oakland this year. Mark it down. :icon_evil:

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I'll take it if we also win the Super Bowl. :yes:

23. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    If we do somehow lose to the Raiders (finally :tdown: ) it will be one in Oakland.

We're not losing to them in the Q.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Raiders fans and Chargers fans who are trying to be "realistic" have been saying the Chargers will finally lose a game to the Raiders for 3 or 4 years straight now and they continue to get swept.

One of these years they'll be right, you can't expect any streak to go on forever, but it's pretty meaningless to predict the same thing year in and year out. (Not saying Buck has been doing that, though)

25. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Eventually... the Raiders will win a game vs the Chargers again. I don't look forward to it, but I won't be devastated when it finally happens. Like Leo said, you just can't expect that kind of streak to go on forever :icon_shrug: It's not like Chargers never beat the Raiders when we were in the cellar, nor is it like losing 1 game to the Raiders negates the total ownage we've had over them in the past 6-7 years.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    My reason for saying it this year is two-fold ....

They'll have a QB who can actually make an offense tick.

They had an excellent draft.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Jason Campbell sucks. I don't get all the man love for him by the sports media and fans.

It's Kyle Orton all over again. A crummy QB who sucked with his former team who's suddenly being painted as under appreciated and good just because he lands on a crummy team who he's, never-the-less, an improvement on.

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :yes:

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Jason Campbell does not suck. What sucks for him is that he's had 4-5 different OC's while stuck under Danny-boy's thumb. Just because Shanahan wanted a different guy doesn't make Campbell bad. He's mobile, has a strong, accurate arm, & would have been more than enough under center last year for the Raiders to have put one & quite possibly 2 beatings on our asses last year.

The Raiders did more in the draft & FA to improve their team than we did. I'm not saying that it's enough to unseat us from the top of our division, but if you don't think they're headed in the right direction you're fooling yourself.

30. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This thread sucks.

• Like Like x 1