1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rapid Reaction: Chargers 41, Buccaneers 24

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

As collapses go, this one could turn out to be epic.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who once seemed destined to become the first NFC South back-to-back champions and a lock for the playoffs, might be done next week. Their return to the comforts of Raymond James Stadium was supposed to cushion the fall from two straight losses.

Instead, they lost to the Chargers and officially went into free fall. The defense was horrible, as it's been for the previous two weeks, and the return of injured quarterback Jeff Garcia didn't make much difference on offense.

You look at the Bucs and you suddenly see turmoil everywhere: Defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin is leaving, the defense in general suddenly looks very old and head coach Jon Gruden and Garcia are a loss away from ever being in the same room together again.

Garcia will be gone after the season and there's going to be a lot of housecleaning at other positions. You even have to start wondering about Gruden's future, if the Bucs miss the playoffs. He hasn't won a playoff game since the Bucs won the Super Bowl and four straight losses and not making the playoffs would be a huge disappointment for a team that was 9-3. Ownership once fired Tony Dungy after a season in which the Bucs made the playoffs.

Then again, all that could be moot. The Bucs host the Raiders next week.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=rapid reaction 16

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The San Diego Chargers are keeping the heat on the Denver Broncos.

In a game they had to win, the Chargers battered the host Buccaneers Sunday, 41-24. It was the Chargers' third straight victory and one of their more impressive wins of the season. San Diego is now 7-8.

The Chargers' road to the playoffs is now simple. If Denver (8-6) loses Sunday at home against Buffalo, it will set up a winner-takes-the-division game next Sunday in San Diego between the Broncos and San Diego.

The Chargers got new life in the division after their wild comeback win last week at Kansas City. The Chiefs led 21-3 at the start of the fourth quarter and they led 21-10 at the two minute warning.

The Chargers were clearly fired up in Tampa Bay as they dominated the Buccaneers for much of the afternoon. Now they wait to see if it matters.

rapid reaction 16, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, San Diego Chargers

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    San Diego 41, Tampa Bay 24
    What I Liked: In the spirit of the holiday season, I'm willing to cut Chargers QB Philip Rivers some slack for his -3 rushing yards ... but only because he threw for 287 yards and four TDs against the Bucs, which sets up the winner-take-all, ahem, "showdown" of Denver-San Diego in Week 17 -- with the victor claiming the AFC West.
    What I Loathed: Truth be told, I have no qualms of what transpired in Tampa. But if I were a Bucs fan, I'd be a little concerned that neither Cadillac Williams or Earnest Graham (currently on IR) has the right stuff to last at least 14 games EVERY season.
    What Made Me Laugh: If I were to inject truth serum into coach Jon Gruden's first coffee of the day (the man REPORTS to work at 3:55 a.m.), it would be then -- and only then -- that he'd say no team could ever reach a Super Bowl with Jeff Garcia (277 yards, 2 TDs vs. San Diego) at QB ... at least the almost-40 version. Until that happens, though, Gruden will continue to live in denial regarding Tampa Bay's QB mini-crisis.
    What I'm Going To Remember on Draft Day: That LaDainian Tomlinson has begun the downslide of a Hall of Fame career ... and that I should no longer move heaven and earth to draft or trade for him. However, and this is a BIG "however" ... I would be honored to take LT (110 total yards vs. Tampa Bay) late in Round 1 (say Pick 8 or 9) next August.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/fantasy/12/22/week.16.revelations/

4. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I just noticed how bad we shut down there running game :lol:

Jamal was a force as has been for the entire season. Our run D is incredibly underrated.

5. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    so we dont have to be scared of Pope then???? :icon_twisted: