1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rashad Jennings?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Two questions:

(1) Why wasn't Jennings considered instead of Gartrell Johnson?

(2) How did Jennings last until the 7th round? Were there drug or character issues?

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    IMHO, that's really one long question.

I don't know the answer, but there certainly to be a reason all 32 teams passed on this dude.

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm going to go with this. Jennings didn't shine at any pro day and I heard he only got scouted by a few teams, the Chargers were mentioned I believe. But in the end the scouts just didn't like what they saw.
    Instead they had their eye on Gartrell. I don't know why cause he never looked as good as all the youtube videos people have been posting. Somebody compared him to LeSean Mccoy, because of his elusive running attack that would "suddenly blow up in your face" - Somebody did not really watch CSU games.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I honestly feel that someday the 31 teams that passed on LeSean McCoy will regret it. People call him a scat back, but the guy was a horse at Pitt.

5. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Jennings has a lot of tools, but the reports are that he runs soft. I didn't see that at the senior bowl, but there are enough write ups from people that I believe saw him play.

All I can tell you is that I love the way Gartrell Johnson runs. He is a lot like Tim Hightower.

6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    That is about right. Hightower had to play into weight and position though. Johnson won't get the chance with Sproles and Hester back there.

7. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Yeah that's a good comparison. Hopefully he's as good also. Maybe Hightower isn't a superstar, or even a frontline starter, but like Hightower he could be a good 2-system back. They're both big and kinda slow, so a good change of pace back would work well with them.

But does that leave Hester at FB exclusively? Then how bout Tolbert?

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Hightower averages about 2.7ypc. Nothing Jacob Hester and Mike Tolbert couldn't have handled themselves.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I think Johnson will be a good change of pace back. I think he could get 5-9 carries a game in tough yards situation - something we've missed since Turner moved on. And with Hester yeah that's a solid jumbo set. Hester also has the flexibility to run and catch the ball, more so then Neal did.

I wonder about Jennings too, figured we'd pick him up, but Johnson's nothing to be ashamed about

10. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I wanted Jennings :icon_evil:

But Gartrell will do :tup: