1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ravens didn't look that tough

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Alpenbolt, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Watched the replay of the Ravens game. Their offense struggled, but like the Cardinals their pass protection was pretty amazing. No sacks allowed again. It think McNair has thrown like 170 passes without a sack.

If we end up playing these guys Mason on the short routes will be the thing we have to watch and somehow find a way to get proper pressure on McNair. He wasn't that good without much pressure, if we get some heat on him we can get some picks. Bills had chance to win that game but Losman made some dumb throws on his two picks, one at the 4 yard line of the Ravens. Ravens D was tough against the run but with the crisp passing game we had on Sunday we can move the ball on these guys.

I like our matchups and chances against the Ravens. NE is more of a worry for me.

2. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    If we end up playing the Ravens. If we can get our passing game going then it should then open up the Run

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    let's face it, we didn't look that impressive

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    We'll paste 'em. :yes: :bolt:

5. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Is it me or did it seem like both the chargers and other teams played more to the talent level of their opponents as the season wore on?

If we face the Ravens, I think we'll win by 9-12 points. I don't think the Ravens are as good as the media is making them out. Remember, this is the team that lost to denver in a miserable showing on prime time. This is the team that we were moving around pretty easily on the first three drives in baltimore, before marty's balls shriveled up and fell off.

Ray Lewis is more wind than substance now. Merriman is the new marshall in town and I think our defense will outperform them as well as our offense beating them on that side of the ball, too.

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't know, I thought we played pretty well. Obviously, the defense could have been better, but we were down three defensive ends.

Obviously, everyone's biggest concern was Rivers and Rivers played extremely well.

I'm not really scared of any team. The Ravens to me are the second-best team in the league, but I'm confident we can beat them.

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The team I was most worried about, the Bengals, isn't in the playoffs.

The Ravens ain't ****.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The ravens as usual are all about their defense. Their offense is a plodding kind of offense. Big back that slams it into the line with a some surprise long passes and some short get a first down passes.

The chargers ace in the whole is our offense. I'm guessing Cam will spread the ball around. Alot will depended upon by Rivers needless to say. If he can play like he can by throwing lazer pinpoint passes the ravens will have to back off the line and then we can start running it. I'm guessing the game will be won against their d-backfield and our recievers and Rivers which will open it up for ladanian.

The chargers defense should be able take care of the ravens offense. Its gonna be a heck of a game. But for some reason I'm sure we can win it.

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The ravens as usual are all about their defense. Their offense is a plodding kind of offense. Big back that slams it into the line with a some surprise long passes and some short get a first down passes.

The chargers ace in the whole is our offense. I'm guessing Cam will spread the ball around. Alot will depended upon by Rivers needless to say. If he can play like he can by throwing lazer pinpoint passes the ravens will have to back off the line and then we can start running it. I'm guessing the game will be won against their d-backfield and our recievers and Rivers.

The chargers defense should take care of the ravens offense. Its gonna be a heck of a game. But for some reason I'm sure the chargers:yes: :bolt: can win it.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    #1 D against #1 O = No clear winner
    #22 O against #7 D = Chargers big advantatge
    # 17 ST against #2 ST = Another Charger advantage.

HOMEFIELD! = Needless to say....Charger advantage. We'll win this game and it wont be as close as most people think.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Make no mistake people. the Ravens are not only as tough as their record indicates, but they are also as real as their statistics show. I've watched many of their games and they make a lot of those breaks for themselves.

Prime example was Losman's poor decision to throw the out in the 3rd quarter... Mcalister made him pay with a pick for 6. With the Ravens, your mistakes not only cost you... they cost you points. And their offense can score, too. They didn't play particularly well against Buffalo, but they got the job done. Just like we did when we played the Bills.

The Chargers will need their best game ever to beat the Ravens. And it will be a nail biter to the end.

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The Ravens have played about 5 games throughout the season where their offense couldn't even score a single TD, or scored their only one in the final two minutes.

They only scored 3 points in Denver. Lost.

They scored a TD and 3 FG versus the Bolts. Win (barely).

They kicked only FG in a 15 - 14 win over Cleveland. Win (barely).

They only scored 7 points in Cincy, in the final two minutes. Lost.

Their offense kicked only FG versus the Bills and their lone TD came on a defensive pick six. Win.

So, the Ravens are 3-2 when their offense scores no more than one TD.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We didn't but we were in control through the whole game.
    I think they didn't put a full out effort into the game but they'll put it ALL out in the playoffs!!!

The atmosphere of the fans was pretty laid back too because we completely expected this win.

14. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    The only reason the Chargers lost to the Ravens was because of MartyBall:icon_evil: but we know that its long dead

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I am in the "we can only beat ourselves" camp. I don't see any team that can just come into Dago and dominate us. Play us tough sure, but we will eventually wear them out. We have some big angry boy's on both sides of the ball and you can't stop them all. Line em up and let them play, only the winner will be left standing.:bolt2:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    As usual Nickelbolt is right. Ravens will likely be a very tough go.

However, if we can post points early, it could turn into a route if we can force them to have to throw the ball consistently.

17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think it's the other way around. The Ravens will need all the breaks to beat us. Teams that rely heavily on defensive touchdowns often do not prosper in the playoffs. Good teams don't tend to make those big mistakes as often as bad ones. I think it's one of the reasons that Marty's 13-3 KC teams never prospered in the playoffs. You just can't rely on good teams going -3 in Turnover ratio and setting you up on a short field. Marty's KC offenses were mediocre. They won because their defenses were very good and their defenses scored points. In the postseason, when turnovers and pick sixes are harder to come by, Marty's KC teams struggled. And I think that's why the Ravens will struggle. The only reason the Ravens won the SB in 2000 was because the Titans, led by Steve McNair, made a bunch of big mistakes that lead to defensive points for the Ravens. If not for that, the Ravens would have lost in the divisional round that year.

You cannot consistently rely on good teams shooting themselves in the foot in the playoffs. At some point, your offense has to make some plays, and I don't think the Ravens have enough offense to do that against our D.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Fully concur. That is why if you get up early on these guys you are in good shape. And also the reason they may never show up in San Diego this year.

But, alas, though we have been blessed with few turnovers this year, I would not be surprised if we had a few facing that pressure D. We put the ball on the ground three times in the first game but managed to fall on them. I think we run the risk of turnovers with folks that can bring the heat. I would factor in a few mistakes on our side and that is why I expect a pretty close brutal game.

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Right. I agree with you that you can't rely on good teams to shoot themselves in the foot. The Chargers have avoided the "big" turnover. But it only takes one in the playoffs. And many of those Ravens players have playoff and Superbowl experience. Combine that with their appetite for converting turnovers into points and you've got one great team. Just like the Chargers they too have been able to overcome the little mistakes and still pull out wins. It's just that their offense lags behind a little in terms of production. But the defense makes up for that lack of production just as it did back when Dilfer won the SB with them.

Like I said, the Chargers will need their best game ever to beat the Ravens. Zero turnovers will mean plenty of points to win.:bolt2: