1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ravens reach agreement with T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Sep 6, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Ravens reach agreement with T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 6, 2010 11:32 AM ET
    Add another possession receiver to the Ravens.

Baltimore surprisingly reached agreement with T.J. Houshmandzadeh on a one-year, $855,000 contract, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. The deal is so low because Houshmandzadeh is guaranteed $7 million this year; Seattle will still have to pay him $6.15 million to make up the difference.

Housh wasn't linked to Baltimore, if only because they seemed set at receiver. Both Anquan Boldin and Derrick Mason are move-the-chains possession threats, just like Houshmandzadeh. Now Houshmandzadeh can face off against his former team in Cincinnati twice during the year.

Now Joe Flacco adds another weapon to the mix to go with his three tight ends and Donte' Stallworth, who will miss half the season.

The Ravens will have to make a corresponding move; wideouts Marcus Smith or David Reed look like logical cuts.

Ravens reach agreement with T.J. Houshmandzadeh | ProFootballTalk.com

2. dizzle498

dizzle498 Bolts lover 4 life

Ratings:
    +10
    We couldn't have brought this guy in for $855k? Would have been a nice plug for VJ.

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    No he wouldn't. TJ is a career #2 and too slow. One of the reasons he got let go in SEA. He is an underneath possession WR who can not stretch the field.

4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    That is why I do not get this signing. The Ravens already have Bolden for this role. Mason is not the fastest either. Why have 3 possession guys?

5. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Mark Clayton is on the trade block

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 6, 2010 1:47 PM ET
    With T.J. Houshmandzadeh jumping aboard the Ravens ship, someone had to get thrown overboard. Mark Clayton will be that someone.

As first indicated by Ross Tucker of SIRIUS and confirmed by Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times, Clayton has been made available for a trade. Wilson writes that the team informed Clayton of their plans for him. If they can't deal him, Clayton is expected to be released.

A first-round pick in 2005, Clayton enjoyed a strong start to his career. He racked up 939 yards and five touchdowns in his second year, but injuries and inconsistency reversed his progress over the last three seasons.

Still, he was the closest thing to a reliable vertical threat that the Ravens had with Donte' Stallworth out until midseason. Clayton averaged over 15 yards-per-catch the last year years.

We're not sure who is going to run the deep routes now in Baltimore. It sounds strange, but 36-year-old Derrick Mason may make the most sense.

ProFootballTalk.com

6. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Ravens have a solid mix of Recievers now...I'll be watching out for them come playoffs time.

Chargers V Ravens for AFC Championship game...Hopefully!!

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Pass on Clayton.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We don't need to acquire any more receivers. Personally, if I were the Ravens I'd have claimed Jeremy Williams.

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Speakin of I was gonna ask has any team claimed him yet?

Intersting pickup for Ravens. I do think they are more dangerous. 3 possesion receivers is good for a dink and dunk run and shoot type O, which it looks like they will be doing. Mason as the speed guy.... Its a good thing they got a great cast of TE/Receivers that can do the underneath stuff. Either they have a secret speedster they will use on long bombs, or they wont try to make Flacco throw deep, and keep the ball inside 20 yds.

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The Ravens have been thoroughly focused on improving their offense and this is just another signing to do just that. That will very much be in the Playoff picture late in the season. Hope to see them lose play the Chargers in January? Maybe.

As for Clayton - pass. We got P. Crayton anyways.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I wonder if AJ knew SEA was going to cut Housh if he'd not traded for Crayton, and just signed Housh for 1yr.