1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ravens' Thomas will become unrestricted free agent

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    He could play MLB. But his real value is as a versatile edge defender, not something we need. At this stage of their careers, I'd rather have Phillips anyway.

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Dude is so versatile he could take Kiel's spot in the secondary. Just throw him into a 3-point stance any time you wanna switch to a 4-3 alignment. :icon_mrgreen:

One thing's for sure... I don't want him to land in Oakland. :no:

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Depends on the price tag.

5. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    It would be sweet, but we'd still have **** wr and safety.

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    The bottom line on NFL Network said that he got the franchise tag. :icon_huh:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    10 seconds ago they reported he did NOT recieve the tag.

8. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18

exactly, The jets and 49rs will pursure him HARD.

AJ already said dont expect any FAs this season becuse we build through the draft.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    he'll go for too much money

My bet; 49ers'll take him

10. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Hahaha @ the Chargers signing a big-name free agent. Hahahaah!

Seriously though...I'll be truly surprised if we sign anyone above a mid-tier free-agent this offseason. It's just not what you do if you're trying to maintain salary cap health.

11. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Thomas, HELL YEAH!!!!!!!! He would take over Donnas spot. But I don't think AJ will get him :icon_sad:

12. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    when you say mid tier do you mean like steve foley or david boston (at the time you were stoked just like everyone else, hindsights a killer) or lo neal? **** even mccree was a much better pickup than the excitement i showed the day the news broke. ill take some mid teir players like neal and foley any day!

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    David Boston was a "big-name" signing, a top-tier guy. Yes, I was stoked when we signed him, though in retrospect I should have been more leery given what was known about him.

When I say "mid-tier" I'm talking about guys like Foley, Goff, Godfrey, and McCree. These guys are solid contributors who didn't cost us top-tier money because they weren't the big-name guys when we got them. It's a smart way to do business--especially if you're real good at spotting hidden gems like AJ and our scouts.

All it takes is a couple David Boston type signings to screw up your salary cap for a long time--especially when the player doesn't work out for whatever reason.

14. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    For some reason I have my doubts we will do anyhting in FA except maybe another turd like Withrow.

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    My cousin just saw your sig and busted up laughing. :lol:

The wife says we are all sick. :icon_eek:

Brilliant. :icon_toast:

16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    we go thru this every year, we get excited about this FA or that FA (last year it was Hutch), and we forget that AJ does NOT sign big time free agents, and then we're pissing and moaning that AJ didn't do anything or that he just signed a "no name" guy (which then becomes a solid starter)

So don't expect any big FA signings

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.kffl.com/hotw

Jets | Thomas a free agency possibility
    Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:32:24 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets will look into signing Baltimore Ravens LB Adalius Thomas, who will become a free agent March 2.

18. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks, but I should be thanking you.:rockout:

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    It is more that he doesn't sign overpriced FAs. That Hutch contract was fuggin crazy.

20. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    almost every big name FA is overpriced, desperate teams overpay for them to make a splash (see redskins)

Im ok with AJ's strategy, build thru the draft, try to resign your good players to fair contracts, but don't overpay, because if you do so for one player you'll have to do so for the next and the next and soon you'll be in cap hell

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Exactly. The top free-agents are always getting paid based on their best season and then you have to add about a 10% to 20% premium due to competition for the player.

So the guy has to produce at a level 10% to 20% higher than his best season to justify his contract.

Teams just set themselves up for cap problems when they do this kind of crap--not to mention the big-name guys rarely perform for their new team the way they did for their old team. For every Drew Brees there are five David Bostons and Marcellus Wileys...

22. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    What is truly amazing is how some teams fall into this year after year such as the Skins. You would think at some point they would wise up.

23. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I think it's more that the fans fall for this, big FA signings sell season tickets which is probably what the owners want :icon_shrug:

24. RMANCIL

Ratings:
    +223

To a very large extent I agree but at some point one would think winning is in fact less expensive and better in selling tickets.

25. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    yeah, but harder to do

26. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    The Raiders won't sign them, only the Chargers have enough cap space to really sign some decent FA, however we wont.

There is no reason too. Why pay a guy who is aging and we don't really need 10 times more than we have to pay a rookie. FA prices are way too high. You can get a rookie, although unproven, and try him out and chances are he won't be that bad and have space for everything else.

Pay $10-$15 million for a guard is crazy! Good guards are not hard to find. Great guards are more difficult. However paying more for your guard than your QB or Running back is bad business.

27. RMANCIL

Ratings:
    +223
    You know I don't think so I think based on what I have seen it is easier to win by using the draft than it is to go with F.A. route.

If teams would simply trade back in the draft when you have a top 10 selection and you stink and simply amass a larger pool of players who can grow up together then your chances are much better .

The team chemistry can develop as well. The fact that your bring in guys and paying them more or valuing them over some of the guys already on board is also a major problem with the Skins F.A. game.

28. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    That's what happens when you have a GM who thinks he is playing fantasy football.

Snyder is all about the flash and no substance.

Gibbs was crazy to go back to Washington.