1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

RB Bennett may be a luxury the Bolts can afford

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    RB Bennett may be a luxury the Bolts can afford

By Kevin Acee
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    8:25 p.m. August 3, 2009

SAN DIEGO -- Michael Bennett can still run.

Whether he is running for the Chargers this season remains to be seen, but it seems likely that the team will keep their backfield insurance policy another year.

Chargers coach Norv Turner appreciates what Bennett brings. If LaDainian Tomlinson were to go down, backup Darren Sproles is not the typical every-down running back, and Gartrell Johnson is a rookie. Bennett, acquired on waivers last November, could be a luxury the Chargers can afford, depending on how the rest of the roster numbers shake out in the beginning of September.

That Bennett retains a surprising amount of his quickness is apparent in the first four days of training camp.

“Over the last four years I haven't had to carry a load, so my body is still young,” said Bennett, who will be 31 this month and is entering his ninth NFL season.

Inactive all seven regular-season games he was a Charger in 2008 and called on to run just four times in the playoffs, Bennett knows he would have made a bigger splash in Denver, which was the other NFL team to put a waiver claim in on him. But he's a Charger and wants to remain one.

“I probably could have played more (in Denver),” Bennett said. “But to come here and be on this team and be around this chemistry, you don't see that a lot.”

Bennett was a Pro Bowler in 2002 with the Minnesota Vikings. Injuries and different situations on the teams he has been on have limited him to 109 carries for 478 yards over the past four seasons.

2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    yay! I like bennett :yes: I hope we're able to keep him around.

3. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I like Bennett too but he's in a weird situation here in SD. He's built too much like LT to be a change-of-pace RB, He isn't big enough for goalline/ run out the clock duties (Gartrell/ Hester, or even Tolbert for that role), he isn't built to pass block or be a screen runner with Sproles here for 3rd down duty (plus LT is one of the best RBs to have on 3rd down), and he isn't part of the future plans or in the mix to even challenge for a starting role.

But in case of injury to LT, I believe he'd be perfect for the starting role, with Sproles, the Predator Johnson, and Hester remaining in their roles. He's always been talented, pretty much a Willie Parker clone before Fast Willie started playing. If everything worked out perfectly I would like to keep him, but I wouldn't want to keep a superfluous RB over a possible stud LB like Applewhite or Siler.

4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    He may get more touches with a different team, but SD will give him a chance to work in a good system with some cool guys. Plus, he just might get a shiny new ring for his troubles.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I hope we keep him

:tup: