1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

RB Charles Scott Pro Day....talks with Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Mar 16, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    http://sdg.scout.com/2/954602.html....Says he's talked with the Chagers twice now.

Charles Scott : 5'11, 232lbs, ran 4.53 at Pro Day. Avg Projected Round...5th

Might be an excellent compliment to Darren Sproles...or...Jahvid Best?

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Could be another late round gem. There will be a few of these. There's always a Michael Turner in the draft somewhere. Maybe this could be the guy?

3. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I like his mechanics a lot:tup:

4. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    dude looks pretty good, nice moves. looked a little slow to me but like LT21 said, could be that late round gem AJ is good at getting

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Obviously the resemblance is to Michael Turner. Not sure he's going to help us at all in the passing game, or running on the perimeter, but maybe he can bounce it outside like The Burner could.

6. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Holy crap he hits the hole hard. He might be a product of the O-line, but the kid looks solid.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He looks like just what we need.

8. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I want a running back who can turn a 10 yard loss into a 15 yard gain.

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Sssssssssssssssssssssssh.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's practically a lock. He's from LSU & said we didn't pay any particular attention to him.

Another LSU product in Bolts. :unsure:

11. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    God i hope this isnt AJs plan to fix our running game

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Me too, but you know his inclination towards smokescreens & LSU.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The plan is to basically ignore it. The running game just isn't an emphasis in this offense

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't believe we ignore it at all. I just don't believe that AJ is going to target a RB as soon as many fans would prefer.

While the passing game may be more of a focus now, we still need a running game to keep the opposing defense at least honest. Again, IMO - an improvement over last year's running game won't require a huge reach.

Having said that .... my opinion all along has been that, IF we acquire another 1st or 2nd round pick somehow, we'll likely target RB much higher than if we don't.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Or at least calling running plays even if they have no chance of working, like we did last year.

I do think an improvement in the running attack is needed, I just don't think any RB we draft is going to make that big of a difference until the play calling and blocking improves, which very well may happen. But it if doesn't, our running game will continue to be in the bottom 5 in the league.

16. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I like the kids style for sure. Any hammer would be a site for sore Charger fan eyes.

17. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Those were not exactly small holes he was running through in his highlight reel. He definately can get to the second level with a burst, but what would he do if there is a wall at the first level? 2 to 3 yards?...I'm tired of that.

18. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Whether it's Charles Scott or someone else, A.J. Smith will draft a 235+ pound running back who hits the hole hard, and can knock people back.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Guys basically a sledgehammer in the middle, something we've missed since Turner left

from ESPN

"Better inside runner than outside runner. Shows good instincts and doesn't waste any time hitting the hole. The type of back who gets stronger with more carries as the game progresses. Runs with adequate pad-level. Will break some arm tackles and shows some leg drive at the end of runs. However, he's not the kind of pile-moving runner that his big frame would indicate. Plus, his initial quickness is only decent and he doesn't show great burst through the line of scrimmage. He will pick up available yards but not much more."

Edit: Chargers also apparently spoke with Jon Dwyer at his pro day too

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If a scout spends the time to go to a Pro Day, it's pretty likely that he's at least going to at least talk to the kids there.

I read absolutely nothing into the fact that we talked to any of these guys. How often have we heard nothing about someone with regards to being drafted by the Chargers only to see him in our column come draft day? The visit may mean a little, but not too much else. When they start bringing them in for individual workouts, I pay more attention.

AJ likes to think of himself as a poker player & manipulator in the draft. Of that you can be fairly certain. Most of the rest is pure speculation.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We have missed that since we release Neal and transitioned into a single back set offense. With poor run blocking, and no bull dozer in front of the RB, our RB will continue to average less than 4 YPC

22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    wasn't he used in a rotation with two other RBs?

24. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Smokescreen?

25. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    If Charles Scott is in the mix on draft day then either of these will occur...

(1) We keep Darren Sproles and draft a NT and DE and/or RT/G in the first 3 rounds

(2) We trade Sproles to move up in round 1 and grab C J Spiller...then draft NT in the either or the next 2 rounds

26. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I Agree with this post...it makes me think more and more that if we are going to have one Running back, it needs to be a guy that can make people miss alot...C J Spiller would be the best name that comes to mind

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Or someone who can create their own hole in the line

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think Sproles has anything to do with Spiller, as I think Sproles will be traded and we still won't get Spiller. The team just doesn't utilize their RB's in a way that justifies a 1st round pick, especially when it will take multiple 1st round picks to move up high enough to get him even if we included Sproles in the deal. It would take 2 first rounders and Sproles to move up that high in the draft

29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Yes he an Williams split carries. LSU ended the season with a horrific rushing game. Scott is nothing special.

30. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Was that a product of the OL or the running game more?

And frankly Scott has never gotten higher then a fourth rounder in my book and most people's. To be honest I don't think he's better then LeGarette Blount. But he appears to be a good sledgehammer style back and could be a good later pick up.