1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

RB options

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Mar 1, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Jan 24, 2010
    By Matt Williamson
    Scouts Inc.
    Every Monday, Scouts Inc. takes a look at the major storylines to watch this offseason:

Whom should San Diego look at to replace LaDainian Tomlinson?

The Chargers need a feature running back in a huge way. Although his contract situation is a slight impediment, I fully expect Darren Sproles to return to San Diego. If his touches are limited and he isn't asked to continually attack the middle of a defense, Sproles should be a fine complementary back. The Chargers also have a relative unknown in Mike Tolbert, whose running style is the polar opposite of Sproles'. With minimal touches, Tolbert was actually quite effective in this terrible Chargers ground attack last season and deserves a role going forward.

[+] EnlargeMarilyn Indahl/Icon SMI
    Even though he's 30, RB Chester Taylor has the skills to thrive in San Diego's system.
    San Diego doesn't need to target smaller backs like C.J. Spiller or Jahvid Best. Best is more likely than Spiller to be available for the Chargers in Round 1. That leaves Jonathan Dwyer as a potential first-rounder. Dwyer is definitely worthy, but San Diego is clearly a contender and can't afford to wait around for Dwyer to acclimate to the NFL from a far different option offense at Georgia Tech. Much like college quarterbacks coming from a spread offense, Dwyer will have to relearn his position to some degree in Year 1.

Ryan Mathews is another option, but this seems high for a guy who struggles to make tacklers miss. Year after year we see tremendous examples of how you can get quality running backs outside Round 1. That would be the approach I would lean toward if I were making decisions in San Diego. Anthony Dixon and especially Toby Gerhart would be very attractive, but even more so would be veteran free agent Chester Taylor. Taylor is extremely skilled in the passing game, should adapt very quickly to this high-powered offense and despite his age (he is 30 years old) has very little wear and tear on his proverbial tires. Taylor is a great fit.
  2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Dec 24, 2009
    Good article. It gives a good explanation of why we might draft a DT or OT in round 1. I would still love to see Jahvid Best or Ryan Mathews on this team though. I don't think Toby Gerhart will be there for us in round two, and I can't see us drafting him in round 1. I'm more anxious for this year's draft than any other before it. I can't wait!