1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ready for the 2015 Draft Yet?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Matthews227, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Matthews227

Matthews227 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's what they are saying:

:abq1:

2. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +653
    "They" are morons!

3. NatroneBomb

NatroneBomb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow, whoever wrote that pick must really think the Chargers' front office is full of idiots. I can't really think of a position group on our team that needs less help than the running backs. Not to mention that the NFL is entering (maybe more like in the middle) of an era where RB's are essentially expendable.

If I had to guess who we're grabbing first in less than a year I'd probably have to put my money on Hronsis Grasu(sp?), the big Center from Oregon to step in and replace Hardwick. Either that or a big defensive lineman to try and shore up this run D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    Gotta go D line, O line then I'd say WR next. We need a young big and fast number 2 to help Keenan

5. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    Yeldon is a good player, and he has good hands too, but like people quite rightly say, this isn't an area of need worth spending a first round on.

Point to note too, if people get upset at Mathews for fumbling, TJ seems to have the same problem. LOL

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    I'd be fine with defense all around again. 3-4 DE, 3-4 NT, OLB, SS, CB...as many of the players we have are due to be free agents.

If we're going to touch on offense maybe LT if Dunlap can't stay healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    We may have to bypass CB though, at least for a year. Don't forget our offensive line isn't full of all pros so LT sounds right to me. Maybe even find a LG and we cam groom Watt to be a Center or just the RG. A big intimidating SS sounds good. I've been wishing we had one of those for years

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Mock drafts right before the draft are useless enough, how much stock do you think one has 9 months prior before either the current NFL or NCAA seasons begin? :roflmao:

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    I'm pretty sure we've been trying to get that SS for years.

10. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    Atari Bigby played well for us. I never knew why we let him go.

11. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Bigby was AWFUL... Are you serious? He completely ignored all responsibilities in coverage and continually missed tackles because he tried to go for a big hit. He also was consistently injured, which didn't help his cause. He was the best we had at the time, but he wasn't good.

12. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Give me PJ Williams paired with Verrett and I'll be good.

13. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    With 3 games left, Chargers still lacking a consistent pass rush. With Freeney a free agent, Ingram entering his final year or two with his deal, I still think we should go get an edge rusher. If you can consistently get the QB off his spot and play with that fear Brady did on SNF for most of the game, I think this defense could be consistently successful.

Alvin Dupree will be there in the mid-20's when we're picking I believe. His draft stock is creeping into the 1st round.

However, as we've seen from Kendall Reyes over these last 2 years, he clearly is not an every down DE like Liuget. He's a situational DE. I would not mind getting aggressive and trading up to grab a DE that is a game changer to pair with Liuget's disruptiveness.

If we are in the mid-20's, I think Eddie Goldman will be there and I believe he's better than Mario Edwards Jr.

Also, I do think we re-sign Brandon Flowers. He's had 2 games this year where he's allowed 100 or more yards to his man in 11 games played. 10 PBUs and 3 INTs. It's been awhile since we've had a consistent shutdown corner in SD.

I don't mind getting aggressive and trading up for Landon Collins either. Depending on what we have to give up though. Pairing him with Weddle would make my day. However, I do think we can find a solid safety in the 2-3 rounds.

On the offensive side of the ball, it's clear we need help re-establishing this OL. The problem is the interior OL. Chad Rinehart has shat the bed, pretty disappointing after the year he had last year. However, we need to re-sign King Dunlap. He continues to be a solid LT, and at RT I'm sticking to my guns in DJ Fluker. I think we need to upgrade LG and RG for sure and I don't see a LG or RG worthy taking in the 1st. Plenty of options there in the 2-3 rounds.

Wouldn't mind adding another weapon to this offense. With Woodhead coming back, and hopefully Mathews re-signed and drafting a RB like Kenny Hilliard in the 5th-6th round we could become a run first team with a stealth play action game. Hilliard's season was cut short, but I expect him to climb up draft boards during workouts, combines, etc. Love how big he is and thick lower half makes him hard to bring down, but with a very deep RB class he could fall to the 5th-6th round.

WR I believe we could strengthen with re-signing Eddie Royal and also adding another player either via draft, like a Tyler Lockett (who gave Verrett fits in college), or dip into a deep WR free agent class. Obviously we've had a very good receiving corps that would be better if the OL gave Rivers about 2 seconds more. But, I feel like we're missing that playmaker. That guy who gets the ball in his hands and makes something happen.

14. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    I love Collins' game, my favorite player in this draft. Love his energy, he's always around the ball, and just generally seems to make big plays. He's got a vicious streak in him too, love to put a hit on somebody.

That being said, I don't know if it'd be wise to trade up and get him, we've got other needs to fill and am not sure if it'd be wise to give up multiple picks to get Landon, especially when we seem to give up our 4th to move up in the second every year LOL.

15. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Before thinking about the draft, what do you think the Chargers will do with non-performers (e.g., Butler comes to mind), and the free agents? For example, there are three OC free agents (Hardwick, Orhnberger, Legursky), one OC on the Practice Squad (Baca) and Chris Watt. Even if you assume Hardwick retires, who do you resign or release? Once all the free agents shake out then I think we have a better idea for draft speculation.

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    For sure. But if one thing is clear, I think we draft at a minimum two OL. Of course, depending on who we re-sign and what not, but I think we beef up the interior line. I could see Kouandjio from Alabama being taken in the 2nd/3rd round if he checks out medically, Telesco loves these character guys and SEC players, and plugging him in on the right side with old college teammate Fluker, is very possible and could help his transition to the NFL.

LG will be the wildcard. Number of routes they can go there. As for C, I think Hardwick surely retires, Watt is the mainstay, Robinson will be tender/re-signed and Ohrenberger might be a camp body but his body has been breaking down as well the past 2 years. I liked Baca coming out of college, he could very well challenge for Ohrenberger's position since he has some experience at both C and OG.

17. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    Sign Dunlap, Ingram and Flowers.

Draft in the first DT Danny Shelton, OLB Leonard Floyd or Trade up for OT cedric or DE Randy Gregory. In general im fine with BPA with all the picks.

18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Ingram isn't a free agent next year I believe.

I wouldn't draft another NT. I haven't watched Shelton much, I remember a bit from him last year, but he's a very stout body, 0 tech type of player. Lissemore was finally healthy and had a very good game against the Patriots. And getting Carrethers back this week will certainly help, kid was dominant when he played in that limited role. Our NT's only see about 30-40% of the defensive snaps I believe. No point going NT in the 1st, with 2 viable options and playing under 50% of defensive snaps.

I think if you want to improve the DL, go get a stud DE that can be a disruptive force with Corey Liuget. Because Kendall Reyes isn't cutting it anymore.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  19. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    You're right about Carrethers, he could turn into a good NT for us. Not a Jamal will you but good stable NT play in a position where inconsistency is the norm. I can't see how Reyes isn't cut at the end of the year. He just isn't preforming at a starting level. I want TT and Chargers to go hard on Defense this off-season. As much as Oline is in dire need unless the Top 2 OT drop to us at 20-32 range, I'd go with OLB. Someone good will be there. RB/WR can be addressed in the 2nd, I've got DGB as the TOP WR in the draft but Cooper will be the only one taken in 1st round.

20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    The previous post I meant Ingram ISN'T a free agent next year. I should proof read my posts :cautious:

But, again it's tough to say "he isn't Jamal Williams", Jamal was a pro bowl at NT. Guy was a beast. Is Carrethers a pro bowler? Tough to say, we've only seen him in a handful of games and this is his rookie season. But, he's been dominant while he's gotten his snaps, I'll tell you that much.

Not big on DGB in this offense. And I don't think we need OTs as long as we retain Dunlap. I'm fine with Dunlap and Fluker on the edge, I'd beef up the interior with road graders and pass protectors.

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,078
    Shelton's not a 0-Tech player. He's a Cover-2 1-tech who is better put playing 3-Tech in most instances. He's Tommy Kelly, who was also miscast as a 3-4 NT at one point and pretty miserably failed when tried there. This is a really... odd class for 0-Tech's. Thing is, after the investment in Carrethers I can't see the FO jumping to just push him into a purely depth role (even if we do heavily rotate our DL) barely a year removed from drafting him unless a Dontari Poe type prospect (of which this draft class, at the moment - we'll see if certain underclassmen declare, though it's unlikely, has none) is available. More likely, they'll look for a complementary player who can, likely, also put in some shifts at DT in 4-downed lineman sets and 5-Tech in sets with 3.

I do agree with the second bit, which is why I'm quite in support of a value pick in Rd. 2 of say an Arik Armstead (if he falls), Carl Davis (similarly), Chucky Hunter in the 3rd (folks are going to think he's too short, but his first step for a 300-pounder will give combo-blockers fits), or even Eddie Goldman at the back end of the 1st (like Davis, he's a guy that can man the 5-, 1-, 3-, and occasionally 0-tech - in pass-rushing situations).

As to Ingram, the biggest boon he brings is that he can be moved around so much - in a way, it's somewhat helped nullify a little of the impact of Donald Butler turning into a steaming pile a crap. Pagano loves sending him on interior-gap blitzes or stunting him across the backs of the DL and in against the interior linemen because of his point-of-attack strength. So an additional long-term edge rusher - likely a true speed-to-power rusher to provide an alternative to Attaochu - is certainly an option if one presents itself.

Pagano appears to be grasping that the most successful teams in the league are moving away from one specific look in terms of shape with their scheme - you've got to be able to effectively show 3-4, 4-3, 3-2-5, and even 2-5-3 looks in order to really keep opposing teams on their toes, unless you've got one unit comprised en mass of very-good-or-better caliber talent (i.e. secondary, front 4, etc.). I'm a big fan of both Nate Orchard and Eli Harold, neither are immediate impact guys in terms of speed-to-power, but have the tools to get there within a year of drafting while putting in spot-duty. As Duffman pointed out in another thread Bud Dupree is probably the best speed-to-power guy we could hope reaches us in this class (Gregory is never getting to us and Shane Ray is overrated in this particular aspect).

Another Swiss Army type guy who is one of my "draft binkies" for this class because he just offers so much potential in so many different areas (though God I wish we could give him someone other than Joe Barry to develop him) is Zach Hodges. The kid needs to add bulk (he'll likely weigh in at 240-245 at the combine, but has the frame to go to 260 easy) and refine his handwork in block-shedding, but he's extremely smart, athletic like the Dickens, and a non-stop motor. Like I said, he needs to fill out (he looks like a shorter version of Aldon Smith when he came out of Mizzou right now), but his first step is electric. Guy reminds me a lot of Jamie Collins who I was similarly very high on two years ago and who just whipped our damn tails last Sunday night.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    So.. since it's becamse so clear these past two games that we need a WR that can win 1 on 1's, who should we take? Ty Montgomery or Stefon Diggs?

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,078
    Montgomery over Diggs all day, every day. Don't trust Diggs' hands. Vince Mayle is another guy who is definitely intriguing as someone who can be had outside of the 1st round. Also, since reviewing more tape on Jaelen Strong, I'm substantially more down on him than I was before. He just doesn't know how to get separation with anything but vertical speed and I question whether he has the physical tools (lateral agility, foot-coordination, COD-skills) to excel in the technical methods of separation. Throw on that he drops far more "gimme" catches than he should and I just don't like the value for the likely price-point; I've got (depending on underclassmen declares) 8-9 guys ahead of him, possibly more.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Diggs has so much potential with the rock in his hands. But Montgomery man, kid is a student of the game. He's a tremendous athlete like Diggs, both have to polish their games. But, I feel Montgomery is the more "Telesco Pick" than Diggs. Kid knows how to play on the outside, in the slot, in the backfield, etc. Threat as a returner too.

What's your WR board look like? I'm also intrigued by Josh Harper.

• Like Like x 1
  25. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    I'd love Montgomery and all the talk is he fits this intermediate passing offense of McCoy's perfectly. Could he be our better Royal?

26. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    Also what do you guys think about Dante Fowler Jr or Shawn Oakaman in the first for the boltz? I like Fower more and saw his game against FSU. He was all around the place. Oakman might have the bigger ceiling though.

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,078
    As of right now, I'm still doing some tinkering with my WR board and have some clusters that are interchangeable till I see performances in post-season games, combine, etc. but I'm working roughly with:

1) Amari Cooper
    1b) Kevin White
    3) Devante Parker
    4) Devin Funchess (he's a WR, not a TE)
    5) D'haquille Williams
    6) Rashad Greene
    7) Vince Mayle
    8) Ty Montgomery
    9) Tyler Lockett
    10) Nelson Agholor
    11) Sammie Coates
    12) Devin Smith
    13) Jaelen Strong
    14) Stefon Diggs
    15) Breshad Perriman
    16) Antwaan Goodley (being generous here, but the last couple games of the season when he finally looked healthy he looked like his old lethal self)
    17) Kenny Bell
    18) Justin Hardy
    19) Josh Harper
    20) Dorial Green-Beckham*

* Physical talent wise DGB is mid-1st talent, he's got a 10-cent attitude and brain though by all accounts. Unless coaches really get sold in the interview process by him, I look at him similarly to how I viewed Colt Lyerla this year... wouldn't touch him till Day 3 and even then I'd weigh it against value at other need positions. I just don't have a ton of confidence to see out a full rookie contract without doing something stupid to keep himself off the field.

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,078
    I highly doubt Fowler makes it to our pick. He's going Top 15-20 which will be more settled after the combine - his versatility and ability to project to both the 3-4, 4-3 under, and base 4-3 as an OLB is going to be a huge selling point to go with his production and athleticism.

I get the feeling Oakman is going to be beyond out reach too, but I'd take him in a second. I think it's naive to compare anyone to JJ Watt, but I have the same gut instinct about Oakman I did about Watt when he was a prospect (I had Watt as a borderline Top-5 prospect in that class, in spite of the other interior DL that were in it). Though I do think if we drafted Oakman, we'd likely do (and do well to do) what San Francisco is doing/has done with Tank Carradine and allow him to continue to grow into playing 5-Tech as opposed to 9-Tech/OLB.

• Like Like x 1
  29. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Not saying it's worth much, but McShay's first 2015 mock has the Chargers picking up Eddie Goldman at #18.

30. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    Nice. You don't share sentiments about Oakman that his height makes him vulnerable or some reason? Also how do the Chiefs have a higher draft pick and also a higher playoff seeding?