1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Reason for hope next season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Jan 2, 2011.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Ryan Mathews. I don't know where he has been all year but talk about a breakout performance!! Where has this level of play been all year from him? This makes me excited to see what he does next year when he'll be healthy and stay healthy

2. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    There is no hope for next year with Turner and Smith. We are barely in second place this year and if we would have lost today we would have been third in the AFC West due to tie breakers.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    There's a reason he hasn't been good all season. NORV gets scared when the pressure is on. There was no pressure this week. So he fed #24. I hope we can do that next year.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    And really most of it was Mathews making something out of nothing.

Other than the toss on 4th down (where Mathews did all the work) it was dive after dive after dive after dive...

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    we won 3 more games than the Lions

yeah, I'm hopeful

7. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Hey! So as long as your better then the Lions. Your doing something right. Go Norv and AJ!!

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    It did help he was running against one of the worst run Defenses in all of football, but yeah, very encouraging performance for No. 24 today. Just has to be more patient, hold on to the rock and utilize his blockers better next season. He showed tremendous potential though. Him and Tolbert are Thunder and Lightning. :bolt:

9. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    If we're talking pure running skills (and ignoring fumbles and injuries... Which are hard to ignore) I don't know what games the rest of you have been watching. Those dives are one yard gains turned into four yard gains. And the speed, balance and power this guy runs with have been impressive.

Any knocks against him should be his durability and ball handling.

• Like Like x 2
  10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Ball handling can be fixed. Durability is a matter of luck.

He sprained that ankle when he was pushed backwards over a pile in week 2, high ankle sprains can last a LONG time, and be reagrivated. Personally I'm not worried about his durability, thats for some of the more thick headed fans around here to bitch about.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Don't forget Tolbert had to die for RM to see the field with any consistency.

12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    REALLY? Does the fact the the dood never played every game in one COLLEGE season weigh into the conversation???

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Okay dood....he missed only 1 game last year.

4 in 2008, but only 1 in 2007.

So sure, if you want to whine about it we can say he never made it through a college season.

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    really? how come everything I read on this board is he was injury prone in college??

ps. don't call me dood :mad:

pss. and WTF!!!??? according to ESPN he played in 9, 5, and 10 games in his college career

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I got mine from ESPN too. Game logs.

So one of us is wrong.

But I'm 100% sure he only missed 1 game last year. He was on my radar from day 1.

16. ArkansasBoltFan

ArkansasBoltFan Norv Gotta Go

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be more impressed with Matthews when he can consistently put up numbers like these, and against teams better than Denver. It is refreshing though to see numbers like that at all though.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Don't forget that he is a pussy and is always hurt. I am pretty sure that even in college he has never made it through a full season without missing time with injuries

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Its the first time all year he's gotten more than 16 carries. When he has gotten a workload its only because we're up 3TDs in garbage time, and the defense are stacking the line as we try to kill clock.

In the other cases....we're down 14 and Norv gives up on the run game.

We need to be feeding this kid the ball next year.

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Well, when you are the ENTIRE offense at Fresno state, the chances of becoming injured sky rocket. Really, he was THE offense there.

What he has to learn is to NOT JUMP INTO THE PILE, which is how he got his foot caught and then bent back over, then the injury.

20. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    ITS SO TRUE!!!!

21. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Gee, thanks.

22. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Anyway enough bitching n whining .. we have to see if we get V.J signed.. and everyone stays healthy... ill be got damned if we miss the playoffs two years in a row we better start off winning **** the late season push... KC offensive coordinator is leaving so thats good.. no ******* way in hell we get swept by the Gaiders 2 yrs in a row.. **** aint happening we going 19-0.. 2012 SB Champs

23. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    It's Norv he'll find a way to miss the playoffs again. Tougher schedule next year as well.

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I wasn't talking about you, unless you lump yourself into that group?

I'm just incredibly annoyed by people calling him injury prone 1 year into his carrer, when the play that caused the initial high ankle sprain was flukish to begin with.

25. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Mathews isn't injury prone, but I think he missed 2 or 3 games the last year and still lead the FBS in rushing. You'd have to check.

Tody, he looked positively electric. I was thinking, "Tomlinson would be proud." Rivers/Mathews should give us all reason to hope. Norv/Nate should give us all reason to worry. And you never know just who's going to feel the wrath of AJ Smith next year...

26. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    Always positives, and always hope when you're 0-0 before the season kicks off. We've gone 13-3 under Norv before so maybe next season is a rebound year. Hope so.

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The ball on the carpet is a major concern over and above all else.