1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons NOT to be worried

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Sep 14, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Because it's cool to be a chicken little today, I'll post this as an alternative viewpoint

1) The Chiefs didn't beat us, we beat ourselves - QBs who throw for under 75yds, RB as your major offensive weapon held for under 100 yds (and one big run) and the emotion of a new stadium are not things you can repeat on a consistent basis to win

2) Dombrowski didn't get rivers killed. - Not the best pass rush he'll face but for all the Tamba Hali talk, he was kept quiet all game long

3) The rain was clearly a factor - that's disturbing but playing on the west coast for the majority of games and a few in domes (STL, Houston) will clearly help that. Now the issue becomes problematic if this continues to bother us in December at Cinncinati and Denver. It hasn't in years past so I'm assuming this was a one time screw up.

4) Defense looked better - Chiefs got one third down conversion but beyond that were held throughout the game with three and outs. Either they scored in three plays or they punted.

5) Rivers still looks good - minus the weather (see #3) Rivers went out there and led his team almost all the way back. I agree I don't know why we didn't use more Tolbert/Mathews in the red zone but we drove two LONG drives late in the game to get in position.

6) Better looking run game. Mathews averaged 3.9yds/carry, MUCH better then LT and Tolbert looked like a second coming of Natrone Means

Chargers have things to fix, to improve on, but I don't see a reason to run around screaming or jump off the bandwagon. Actually if your off the bandwagon, you don't get back on when we make a run later in the year and are back in the playoffs. I'm taking your spot even if i have to lay across the bench to block you on the bandwagon.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I have a contention with #1. the Chiefs did beat us. Do not lessen what they acomplished to lessen the pain. Their special teams beat ours hands down. The TD run was well blocked and executed. They pulled the ball out of Matthews hands. They made the most out of what they could, and they did it with their offense sucking eggs hard.

The rest I agree with, there were contributing factors but the Chiefs won the game.

3. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I'll add, that they did win the game, and I won't take that away from them.

But, (you knew there would be one)

Good luck recreating that scenario the rest of the year, KC.

Yardage-wise, we are #4 in the NFL, offensively and defensively. Yes, we lost. And we deserved to lose.

But we did ALOT of things right. ALOT.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Xactly! Well said.

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    And besides, who plays perfect football in September anyway?

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    1/2 the league is 0-1.

I threw my "F*** EVERYONE SINCE WE LOST" hissy fit last night and now I'm over it.

I am EXTREMELY sick of the slow starts, but history has shown we finish strong. I'll start panicing next month.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Werd

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The ST yes, we got beaten on. That's one facet where we got crushed. But we also had lots of chances and opportunities to come back that we pissed away. That's where I'm noting that I think we lost vs they won. Markos does make a very good point though

9. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I must admit that after reading Conc's article I felt much better after yesterdays performance.

Even thou its first game of the season, I am a little concerned that our team was not able to dominate a much weaker team in the Chiefs...even at their home.

Our special teams are the weakest in the league this year...we can't allow THAT to decide our season this year.

10. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Hey don't forget, the AFC champion Colts didn't look
    so great either. The Texans beat them the first time in
    like forever. Week 1 always has strange outcomes. Powerhouse GreenBay had it's share of problems,
    and Cinci's D was terrible. I could go on and on. As the old saying goes "On any given Sunday".
    Its week one, lets not pack up our tents and go home just yet.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I thought the running game was good and I was satisfied with what I saw from both lines. Mathews seems to always be falling forward for 4 or 5 yards, which is refreshing. Rivers lost his cool a little bit and that concerned me some. Leaders need to look like they are in control even if they aren't always.

Our special teams certainly didn't have their best night, but the rain contributed a lot to that. KC has some pretty special players on their squad and we need to give them credit. The defensive push in the first few series got me really pumped. I assume KC made adjustments which slowed us down, but Cassel seemed to be running for his life quite a bit.

I agree with some others that Sproles didn't quite look normal, but I chalked that up to missing the pre-season and having some rust on him. Mathews fumble was what it was. He's a rookie making his NFL debut in the pouring rain in front of a sell-out crowd in one of the most intimidating stadiums in the league. I will cut him some slack.

I am stunned by all the "OMG if only we had VJ and MM!" crap flying around the interwebs. In my opinion, having those two on the field would not have made much difference at all. I believe Floyd is a big-play receiver just like VJ and there are several others that can get the job done. I didn't see anything from Dombo last night that makes me nervous.

Bottom line; they played poorly against a highly motivated team with some very skilled young players and got beat.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Very well said!

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm not really worried, I'm just frustrated and pissed off.

What the hell is Norv thinking passing 4 times at the end of the game when Mike Tolbert proved he knocks bitches out? Mathews anyone? Did we draft this kid to stand on the sideline in the 4th quarter?

Sproles is worthless by the way. I'm sure he'll have 1 or 2 good games and everyone will forgive, but the guy is making the money we should be paying to McNeil and/or Vjack.

14. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    The D looked pretty good overall and the offense will have more good days than bad...... it was special teams that killed us. No question about that. Hardwick would do well to get that internal clock ticking in his head. Look at the play clock when you bend over and make sure that is in the back of your mind..... It's amazing how PR is calling for the ball and he's just sitting on it until the clock runs out. WTF?

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Yes we lost and the world will not come to an end, but I sure hope Norv burns the page in the playbook that calls for sproles to get a draw inside the 10....

16. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I will add that I thought with the exception of 1 play....That Antonio Garay looked pretty good. First play of the game he got penetration and leveled Cassell as he threw. There were a few other times where he blew up the center moving into the backfield causing disruption.