1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons we SHOULDN'T worry about Mathews

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Sep 19, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Ok, so he hasn't exactly gotten off to the best start, but he has been looking good and he definitely will improve. Give him a break, he's a rookie. Rookies make mistakes and learn from them, but from my standpoint Mathews hasn't made very many mistakes.

1. The first fumble against Kansas wasn't totally Mathews' fault. The defender had gotten his hand in there and stripped the ball, it was a great play on his part. I don't think even LT in his prime would've held on to that one.

2. In the first game, he had some nice gains and averaged 3.9 yards per carry (in sloppy conditions with a hyper KC defense). He totalled 75 rushing yards and if he had been given the ball more, he could've easily passed the 100 yard mark.

3. The second fumble against the Jags wasn't even a fumble. It was a bad call by the refs and the defender took the ball out of his hands after he was on the ground. In that game, he had 26 yards on 5 carries (about 5.2 ypc) and he had 2 receptions for 29 yards. He definitely makes plays when he touches the ball. The only bad part was his foot got caught and he got flipped backwards over it, leading to it being sprained. The only reason he didn't get put back in was because there was no need to risk his injury.

4. He is new to the NFL. Some rookies don't always get off to fast starts but later on become great players. LT, for example, had 3 fumbles in his first 2 games, 2 more than Mathews (I say 2 more because the second one wasn't a fumble).

Guys, he will be a great player for our team for a long time to come. Don't pass judgements too early. Let's wait and see until he gets rolling...

Go Bolts!!

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    What I am worried about is this board. Since when is it censored to a G rating?? Seriously I cant even say da mn? wtf this shi sux and no announcement about this new change? I guess there will be bannishment for working around the censorship filter.. Shi_ that is ***. ***** *** **** **** **** **** puta **** sorry jus trying to figure out what can and cant be said anymore...

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Wah. I can't cuss. :cry:

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    It is weak sauce.

5. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Completely agree. Am I at a forum for grown football fans, or at a church?

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Because Church is the only place that cares about cursing. :lol:

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Not worried about Mathews at all. Kid was on his way to a 100yd game before he got hurt.

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Not to try to derail a thread, we do have zero reasons to worry bout Matthews.

But cmon leo what constitues cursing? Used to be when I was young TV would censor any 4 letter word, but not B itch, d amn, as s, or H ell. Now tell me how vulgar are those minute words?? I can understand the B one, but seriously not even allowed to say D A M N?? or H ell? That is some weak suace and really disapoints me. Not like I have ever been trying as hard as some to fit in a 4 letter word in my time here as others have. Now I guess I should have got it out more often. ****

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Motherfuckercocksquat

Worked for me.....

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    To be honest, I don't care about cursing at all. I'm ex-Navy, you think I give a **** if anybody curses? :lol:

I just don't think the ability to curse on a message board is so important of an issue that it warrants bitching about it in a thread that has nothing to do with the subject.

edit: You can say "b***" if you change it to present tense, go figure. :lol:

11. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    LT had quite a few fumbles in his first 2 years, but hardly none after that. No need to worry about Mathews, besides we have Tolbert.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Not too worried about RM. He's shown he's going to be REAL good once he get's going and like some of you said, he was doing well before the so called fumble against the Jags (it wasn't). Tolbert did great too so just imagine when these 2 get it going at the same time. It's going to be the dynamic duo out there at RB then add in the little guy on screens, etc. Me likey! :yes:

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No you are not at a forum for grown football fans only. The forum is open to all, including some kids who come here quite often.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Please take your complaints to the forum feedback section. They do not belong in this thread. Thank you.

15. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    1. Mathews is doing a very good job. I am ecstatic with his performance so far and I am sure it will only get better as the season goes on and he gets more experience.
    2. Profanity is a sign of a weak mind. Kudos to the mods for reinstating the filters.

16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    what if we were worried about Mathews cussing?

17. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Does that mean we could not even quote the great Vince Lombardi?

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Dang, I must be an idiot then. :lol: I'm trying to cut down my cussing for my kids sake, but when you use f--k in every other sentence all your life it's tough to break the habit! My wife is always getting on my case for having such a filthy mouth. I've cut down on it a LOT but still sneak in a f-bomb once in a while esp. after that Monday Night loss to the Chefs! :censored:

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I have no problem with our boy...

Rk Player Team Pos Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM
    1 Ryan Mathews SD RB 24 12.0 101 4.2 50.5 0 15 3 12.5 0 0 1
    2 Jahvid Best DET RB 31 15.5 98 3.2 49.0 4 33 10 32.3 1 0 0
    3 Toby Gerhart MIN RB 4 4.0 10 2.5 10.0 0 6 2 50.0 0 0 0
    4 Dimitri Nance GB RB 2 2.0 6 3.0 6.0 0 4 0 0.0 0 0 0
    5 C.J. Spiller BUF RB 8 4.0 9 1.1 4.5 0 6 0 0.0 0 0 0
    6 Chris Gronkowski DAL RB 1 0.5 8 8.0 4.0 0 8 0 0.0 0 0 0
    7 Tim Tebow DEN QB 2 2.0 2 1.0 2.0 0 1 0 0.0 0 0 0
    8 Dexter McCluster KC WR 2 1.0 3 1.5 1.5 0 3 0 0.0 0 0 0
    9 Jimmy Clausen CAR QB 1 0.5 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

20. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Yes, I guess I should have listed each and every place that cares about cursing rather than just using one example.

21. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Well golly gee gosh darn!

22. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Yeah, yeah, that's what people who don't cuss like to say to make themselves feel superior. They are just words, sounds used to convey a meaning. I feel sorry for people who are so tightly wound or sensitive that they can't possibly be exposed to certain words.
    "ECry Manning is a whiny little brat" doesn't have the same punch as "Ecry Manning is a whiny little b*tch." And for the record, "b*tch" reads the same as the word does without the little asterisk, everyone decodes it immediately in their mind, so what does the asterisk actually accomplish other than keeping the sensitive types somehow feeling better because it was an asterisk instead of an i. Golly gee gosh darn retarded.

23. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I guess Lombardi had a weak mind.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Kids suck.

Ryan Mathews doesn't.

Wordfilters are for faggots

25. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    1. Not worried.

2. Vagina

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    sure you can, only every other word

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I didnt post in feedback, becuase I wanted member feedback. So I posted in a thread that had activity. And I got the feedback I expected. I am glad and knew I wasnt alone in thinking that internet cencorship was pointless. Your 4 year old I am willing to bet has already learned a 4 letter word in their short lifetime. I dont even care to rant on this as it has already been pretty well said.

Why cant the parents/people who care about foul language cencorship have an option on the page to turn it on or off. You could make a password to keep your children from ever having to see a foul word ON this site anyway.

On a side note, what will ever happen to the adult section threads....

In short Child Please to mass censorship. What is this North Korea??

Still dont see any reason to worry about Matthews. GO BOLTS!!!

EDIT: I forgot what you aparently didnt read in my post that I would have thought that the board would have been informed of this change rather than thrown upon them.

Im cool with it realy, jus dont agree that all words should be censored. Like D@mn or H3ll.

28. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    h e l l & d a m n are pretty benign is this day and age to be sure

29. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    There is a reason for the filters and they go for yes some words that in todays language are Benign like Wrbanwal has said but there are the words that need to be censored due to the negative impact they will imply. One word is very powerful one and very negative for a White person to say and that word is the N word and that word definitely needs censoring due to the very negative content it brings. Even the F word as well needs censoring at times due to its content it instills.

So if you all want every one to be allowed to say the N word, I will need to be released from these forums because of that word being allowed to be said is and Definitely a Huge No in my book.

Now to get back on topic about Mathews please.

30. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    ok, but one question, is it all or nothing? If so then I'm in favor of to much than to little. Some things are not appropriate no matter what the context.