1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding Offensive and Defensive Lines for next year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bigkdb, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    How would you rebuild our offensive line? Defensive line? These are the most glaring problems with the team but I think with a little tweaking we could have both of them great next year.
    OFFENSE LINE
    1. We need to resign King Dunlap. Hopefully he signs for a meager deal, nothing too big maybe 6-8 mill a year.
    2. We need to turn DJ Fluker into a right guard. I'm done with his pass blocking against elite pass rushers. He's got slow feet. I think he would be a Probowl guard where he wouldn't have to use his foot speed as often.
    3. We need to play the kid Watt at Center and groom him to be the starter next year. We can have Orhnberger as a good backup in case we get nuked like we did this year.
    4.Draft the best possible LG. We need a nasty big strong road grater. We need him to add toughness and physicality to that line.
    5. Just overall development of the line which will come with time and I have no doubt coach D can do it.

DEFENSIVE LINE
    1. We need to resign Luiget.It is imperative that we do or we won't be able to stop anybody or get any production from the defensive front, which means more ****** years from Donald Butler and our ILBs.
    2. Depending on if we fire Pagano and get Rex (I know there's a shot it won't happen), we need to get another defensive end. Like the ones we've missed out on the past few year like Tyson Jackson or Cameron Jordan. Reyes is supposed to be a passrusher type of 3-4 end but all he has been is a scrub on either run plays or pass plays.
    3. FOR GOD SAKES FIND A BIG NASTY DEFENSIVE TACKLE. We've been searching for one since Jamal Williams left and this **** is annoying seeing as how everybody else can find big, tall, fat, strong DTs that can give guards and centers trouble. **** last night the Broncos had 3.....But we need to find that DT whether through free agency or the draft or even undrafted.Carrethers and Geathers can be backups but I don't like Lissemore, he's not nasty or that strong. NO MORE BLOWING OUR DEFENSIVE LINE BACK.
    I hope to see these problems solved (At least one) next year going into the season. I have faith in Telesco and McCoy to pick the right personnel. What do you guys think about my breakdown? What would you do?

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    Agree on all points regarding the OL, on the DL I don't know if a huge NT is needed, just get a bunch of 300lb DE/DT types and shuffle them around, plus Carrethers and Geathers are there to develope

3. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    So resign Dunlap and draft a LT? Are you saying move Dunlap to RT cause I don't think that works. I'd keep Dunlap draft a RT and move Fluker inside to guard as you said, and yeah Watt to center...following year draft a LG and NT...probably can go out and find some pass rushers in FA as Freeney is not a 16 game player.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I think he said draft a LG not a LT, BTW, something else I would consider is if there´s a better C prospect than G, then leave Watt at G and draft a C

5. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    Idk if Watt is nasty enough or strong enough to play a guard that we need but either way we need to get interior talent

6. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    I wouldn't mind that either. We need players though and that NT spot being bad puts a lot of players in bad spots. We can't do anything without solid play from that tackle and it's time for us to stop being cheap lol and find a legitimate NT

7. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Heard it said many times, if you're 3/4 and don't have a dominant NT, you're in for a long season. I know we run a hybrid, but how much better would we be with Jamal v-2 clogging running lanes, applying pressure up the middle, and commanding a double team?

8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +941
    King Dunlap should be re-signed. He's 29, with a history of concussions. I'd be careful with the years and guaranteed money going his way.

Chad Rinehart needs to step it up. I've seen him get blown away a few times this year which is really discouraging after the season he had last year. I'd draft a back up here, just because you don't want an aging OL. With Dunlap and Rinehart in their later 20's to early 30's.

Chris Watt moves to C.

DJ Fluker moves to RG.

Draft a RT. I like Corey Robinson in the 3rd round. Austin Shepherd in the later rounds. I like Bobby Hart from FSU in the later rounds as well as an OG. I would also like to sign Chris Hairston from Buffalo as a swing-tackle/starter that has worked with Joe D.

I like the DL at the moment. Think it will be crucial to re-sign Liuget. Reyes can walk in 2016, I'm done with his inconsistency and being washed out in the run game. I like Geathers coming back, Tjong-a-Tjoe (looked good in pre-season) and Palepoi have been real nice, underrated FA signings. Lissemore as well and Carrethers has looked real good. Even Ricardo Matthews has been effective.

If we have money to spend in free agency, there are a hole lot of options on the DL too. Suh would be really intriguing with Liuget on the same DL.

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    BPA. Since we're going to be picking 32. Every year a blue collar player drops, and we should take advantage. Man I hope MG3 or Gurley drop to us. Unlikely though.

10. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    That sounds too good to be true lol. Haven't seen that with our defense since Antonio Garay was decent

11. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    I don't know about prolonging the inevitable of adding top talent to the line. I forgot where Chad Rhinehart came from but I'm pretty sure he wasn't a top draft pick. I like Ricardo Mathews but I don't like finding guys who play one year and don't play the same the next, example would be cam thomas, johnnie troutman etc. These guys came from nothing and could just as easily go back to being scrubs. To me the first two picks need to be linemen regardless of what happens this year

12. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    Picking 32 huh lol

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Well that Jamal type of NT better be athletic or he won't be used more than a handful of times seeing as the spread offense as well...spread across the league.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    Yeah he really needs to be. You know who's pretty good but in a 4-3, the rookie Donald for St Louis. Athletic as hell....I need to start checking out some DTs in college

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +941
    King Dunlap has been pretty solid all season long. It's been the interior line that has been dog **** and DJ Fluker. Better to move Fluker inside, bring in a Chris Hairston but also take an OL with one of the first 3 picks. We'll need a RT, so I think no need to reach in the 1st, we can hit on that in the 2nd or 3rd.

16. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    Absolutely. The only linemen worth 1st round picks are LTs LGs or a really really good center

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +941
    And DJ Fluker... Who has really good last year for the most part and looked like a 1st round pick, but this season has completely fell off.

18. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,725
    Maybe it's just the sophomore jinx...

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +941
    I'd certainly hope so.. but what he's struggling with now, he did last year and also in college. It's just being exposed more and his strength (run blocking) has taken a step back as well. Which is certainly discouraging. I'm not making excuses for the guy, but I feel like at the end of this season, we will hear he was playing through an injury.

20. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I know this will sound shocking to some, but with Fluker and his ankle problem, we'd be better off right now if Clary could return to his old RT position, and Fluker moved inside to RG. That would protect Fluker in his hobbled state from having to move "in space", and Clary wouldn't be any slower against the speed rush. At least we'd be able to run to the right side.

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +941
    I'd still take a one-legged Fluker over Clary..

Unfortunately for Chargers fans.. I don't Clary comes back this year.

22. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That doesn't sound the least bit objective to me. Fluker's technique has been poor this year... combined with his injury, a healthy (I know a big if) Clary would be an upgrade.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +941
    I actually didn't read the post to this thread but..
    It will be a blend of drafting and signings, obviously. I think we'll draft more along the OL, the DL is in good shape, players just have to perform. I think we'll make a big signing there this off-season.

Good luck. Dunlap will look for a good deal. He's not signing another 2 year/$3.7m deal. Probably looking for a deal that pays between $5-7.5m on average a year.

Why? We just signed Chad Rinehart to a 3 year deal this past off-season. We need a RG/RT. I think we should move Fluker inside as well, and draft a RT. That I will be willing to to spend a 2nd-3rd round pick on. Plus, if Rinehart is underperforming, Troutman can play LG. When he filled in last year for Rinehart he looked like a very capable starter at LG in the NFL. At RG, he's a totally different player. I'd spend a late round pick at OG.

Lol at this whole paragraph..

We don't need a big nasty DT. Lissemore, Carrethers, Geathers are all capable of getting the job done. Liuget and Reyes are supposed to be the guys getting the job done and penetrating, while Lissemore occupies blockers.

I think signing either Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley, Pat Sims, Kenrick Ellis, or Damon Harrison with Corey Liuget, you'll have a disruptive front 3. Liuget has to be a little more consistent for me.

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +941
    I'm kidding. The point is.. if Clary is healthy, I'd maybe consider it. Clary was average at RG last year; was much better there than at RT. So I don't know if a change at the end of the season will be ideal. Especially with that hip, he certainly won't be fluid enough to play RT, thus making him even slower that he already is.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I think it's a sophomore slump. He played so well last year I'm not sure how else you could explain him taking a step back across the board. I'm not ready to throw him to guard just yet but if there's a good RT available I'd give it serious consideration. Watt should be a C; he has the smarts and instincts to be first rate, he has enough strength and tenacity that he could do very well. Guard, i keep wondering if Watts (not Watt) could be a nice option as he really impressed me as I saw him.

Maybe next year we could see something like Dunlap-Mann-Watt-Fluker-?

DL we need to actually make a concerted effort. I like what we have in terms of depth; Palepoi and Carrethuers look to be great depth as does Matthews. Liuget is a stud but he needs help (and alot of it). Reyes shouldn't be a starter in any way neither should Lissenmore (though his versatility would be fantastic). The Chargers haven't invested as much as they should've in the DL, not that there haven't been bigger issues.

Honestly the need list is piling up; Starting DE/NT. Starting LG maybe RT. That doesn't even include depth at WR/OLB/CB (and a starter might be needed if Flowers leaves).

26. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    I think our best DT this year would be Geathers even though he's injured. He didn't get washed out much when he played and he's a mutant. Lissemore more often than not gets pushed back while Reyes gets destroyed. I like depth with those guys at DT but not starters, disruptive starters. Rinehart signed a 2 year 6 mill deal with 2 mill guaranteed. That's not a contract worth not getting more talent at his position, nor is his play. Even though I love Suh and Fairley they both don't fit our system. I'd be more looking for Buffalo to let Marcel Darius go so we can sign him. Perfect DT for us and check this out, he has 7 sacks so far this year

27. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    If we can't resign Flowers then we may just have to suffer through a year of just Verrett being good back there. We have to address the issues up front first on either side of the ball

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Wright and Flowers are FAs. verrett and Flowers could both start in the backfield but you need two CBs

29. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +941
    I don't really buy into the sophomore slump thing for Fluker. He's just lunging at guys with speed and getting beat easily. He had the same problem last year and in college. He's always struggled with speed rushers. When he faced Western Kentucky his last year at Alabama, it was the opening game of CFB as well, he faced Quanterus Smith (Yeah, the guy Denver has :mad:) and gave up 4 sacks against him.

And the Chargers should invest in Ndamukong Suh. He's probably looking for a Haloti Ngata deal, 4 year/$48m contract, and I'd give it to him. He could play DE with Corey Liuget and man oh man would we have a dominant front 3 with Lissemore/Geathers/Carrethers.

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +941
    And Marcus Gilchrist.

It will be interesting what we do. Gilchrist shouldn't demand a huge contract, neither should Wright. Flowers might be looking for a Brent Grimes type of deal, 4 years/$32m, and I'd give it to him too.

• Agree Agree x 1