1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Receivers fine sharing the wealth

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Chargers.com
    Posted Aug 6, 2009

With so many talented playmakers, patience is a must for Chargers’ receivers, but with their grasp of the big picture, they don’t mind if they sometimes have to wait their turn.

Chargers tight end Antonio Gates[​IMG] knows while he has the talent, his days of catching 90 balls a season are likely on hold.

Wide receiver Chris Chambers[​IMG] is well aware that his career high of 82 catches probably won’t be approached this season, and while Vincent Jackson[​IMG]’s yards per catch average was the highest among receivers with more than 50 receptions last year, he understands that the team’s situation will make it difficult for him to be among the league leaders in receptions.

And that’s more than fine with each of them.

“We all want to win,” Gates said. “It’s special because we all understand that the ball has to get spread around. We also understand all of us could go out and have a big game. When you have the kind of ability we have at wide receiver, at tight end and at running back, you need to have a focus and it’s just a testament to the character of the guys on this team that we have that.”

In 2008, Gates led the team with 60 receptions and Jackson had 59, while Chambers found the end zone five times on 33 catches. Running backs LaDainian Tomlinson[​IMG] and Darren Sproles[​IMG] are dangerous weapons out of the backfield, and Malcom Floyd[​IMG], Legedu Naanee[​IMG] and Buster Davis[​IMG] also figure to be heavily involved in the passing game.

Last season, the Chargers had six players with at least 25 receptions and nine different players caught at least one touchdown pass. Five Chargers caught four or more touchdown passes, a statistic matched by no other team in the NFL.

Those numbers show that opponents can’t just key on one player because of the Chargers’ depth in the passing game, and that’s something quarterback Philip Rivers[​IMG] loves.

“In this offense and with this group of guys we have, it’s hard to pinpoint a go-to guy,” Rivers said. “I kind of like to think it goes from week to week. Vincent could have eight catches one game and Gates the next. LT could lead in receptions one week, Sproles, Chambers, Malcom, Legedu…I could go on and on. You never know who it’s going to be and I think the key is to have a group as unselfish as we have.”

Said Head Coach Norv Turner, “We have a lot of guys who can contribute. We want to run the ball, we want to spread the ball around. There are certain guys that we know for us to be successful, they have to be included on an every day basis and that’s what we’re trying to get done.”

Before coming to San Diego in 2007, Chambers led the Dolphins in receiving yards for five-consecutive seasons. He certainly didn’t mind the days when the balls came his way more frequently, but he never experienced the playoffs in Miami and is now more than willing to sacrifice receptions if it means postseason play.

“Winning substitutes for everything,” Chambers said. “With Gates, LT, Sproles, Vincent and so many playmakers, you can’t be selfish. We know that we can help each other be successful.”

Last season, Jackson’s 1,098 yards made him the first Chargers wide receiver since 2001 to record a 1,000 yard season. Of the 22 players who reached 1,000 yards last season, Jackson did so with the fewest number of catches (59). While he’d most likely get more opportunities if it weren’t for the quality of players around him, he has no gripes about the way the ball is distributed.

“We’ve all bought into what we’re trying to do as an offense and as a team,” Jackson said. “We’re happy for any of our teammates when they have success. That’s why I think our receivers are the best run blockers in the league.”

Gates couldn’t help but turn to the hardwood when he described the mental make up of the Chargers’ playmakers.

“I like to think our offense is like the Celtics when Paul Pierce was there and Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett came in,” Gates said. “Individually they sacrificed something for the ultimate goal and they won a championship. Collectively we’re stronger than one individual and like the Celtics did, we understand that.”

Each of the Chargers’ receivers said that patience is a must when placed in their situation, but a mature view of the big picture makes it easier for each to wait his turn and capitalize when it comes.

“You can’t take away everybody,” Chambers said. “You double Gates or you double Vincent, I should be able to get a lot of balls and vise versa. I think that’s how things are going to go. We’ll be a better offense because of it, and hopefully that means we’ll win a lot of games.”

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This offense is going to drive defenses nuts, because it will impossible to get a reliable read on tendencies. With Rivers having the experience to see the whole field now, he won't overlook guys who get open and someone will get open on almost every play. Then there are the backs. This will be one fun season. Stacking the box against LT or Hester or Sproles will be suicide.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I like the sound of this, but I wouldn't count on buster being in the mix very much.

Pencil Gary Banks into that slot.

4. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    All I can say is, "C'mon, O-Line!"

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Cut David Boston

He hasn't done much for us these days

• Like Like x 1
  6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    They are looking better this year. They're all healthy and Forney will be an improvement over Goff. Clary appears to be in extremely good shape, based on the photos. Any more news on Vasquez?

• Like Like x 1