1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Red zone offense will return with LT...and other thoughts..

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Surprised at some of the negativity I'm seeing across Chargers boards....We're 2-1.....with one CLOSE loss coming against a team that came within a hair of the Superbowl last year....I'll take this record any day over the 0-2 starts of the past 2 years.

I'm personally not all that concerned with the Red Zone offense that seems to have so many irate....We were very good the last couple of years in the red zone....and if you think about it from a defensive coordinators standpoint, this team looks a lot different when maybe the most prolific RB TD scorer in the history of the game is in the backfield. LT has to be gameplanned for.....and that takes away from gameplanning for our receivers or Gates. Our OLine is a problem in the running game as it has been....but a healthy LT will at least make the rushing attack respectable. His presence either directly or indirectly improves our chances quite a bit IMO at putting the ball into the end zone.

Without LT, we are still generating offense...but at some point, the lack of a running game is going to catch up with us...I'm optimistic that when LT does come back healthy, we will have some opportunities to gash teams that are overly intent on stopping our big yardage passing attack.

On to the game...Sure, the Fins lost Pennington and that had an effect on the game...but they get no sympathy from me with all of the injuries we've had to deal with....League wide, teams are dealing with a lot of injury problems. We've been undermanned the past two weeks and held our own against two physical teams.

I was extremely worried about the Wildcat coming into this game...They used it to perfection against us last year...WITH big Jamal in the middle....extending drives...converting key 3rd downs, etc......this year we were able to slow it down enough so that we could give the offense a chance to win. They had to move away from it even when they were within one score.....I thought having Boone and Cesaire available to rotate in on the line was a big help.

My biggest concern right now is the pass rush. That's an area we need to figure out how to improve....Obviously our personnell is again not doing the job....so I'm still waiting to see what we have in the bag for creative blitzing.

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    "Red zone offense will return with LT" :icon_rofl:

Sorry it is not our Rb's, it is our O-line. LT will not be that effective.

3. GBERP73

GBERP73 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    huh......LT is not the old LT anymore. He needs that OL to improve their blocking.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    LT has scored double digit TD's the last 8 years....including last year when he was injured. He is not the LT from last year, but he is certainly the biggest weapon we have inside the 5 yard line. When he is there, it opens up options for Rivers.

5. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    It's been our OLine for 3 years...and he's always gotten it done in the scoring department. "Not that effective" will be an improvement over what we've seen in the red zone the past two games....and he will have a huge effect in either scoring himself...or freeing up someone else to do damage.

6. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    In what little we have seen of LT so far this season, he has had to struggle for every yard he has gotten. When he plays a full game he gets a lot of short gain or no gain runs early and breaks a couple of big runs late...not so much since his injuries last season. Even at 100% health if the big boys up front aren't opening holes it will be a long day for #21. I believe the run blocking will get better but will take a few weeks.

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Simply put, if we get better o-line run blocking, we will improve in the redzone esp. with a healthy LT. For now though, Norv should mix in Bennett, Hester and Tolbert along with Sproles. Switch it up a little man!

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I think its more the o-line has to open some holes. Which they're not. LT would help.

But norv isn't even trying to run the ball in the redzone. Other than sending sproles into the middle of the line a few times. Boggles the mind what norv is doing in the redzone now. Find a slobber nocker and go off tackle either left or right. Worst case sceniero is teams will then expect the run and we can try a quick short pass.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    It's the OL and the mentality of the team
    I said it before, the red zone is all about a team's physical and mental toughness. Something we don't have.
    Double that with a big problem in the OL in terms of run blocking anywhere on the field, then we've got problems in that area.

The team has to find a way to get tougher and run block better

Oh and for GODS SAKE stop using Sproles so often for 1st and 2nd down runs

10. LinksterAC

LinksterAC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    That's crap. He averaged 4.2 yards per carry and scored a TD. That's better than Sproles did in that game, or any game since. We miss him. Even with bad O-Lines, the guy has a nose for the end zone. Too many of us have taken him for granted.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I believe it would improve if we just stopped running up the middle and started to hit the corners with Sproles.

12. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Just to clarify my point....Our rushing offense may continue to have some struggles even with LT in there.....but I'm failing to see how several of you seem to think he is of no value when we are in short yardage situations trying to get into the endzone. Has he not proven to be a beast every single year of his career at getting into paydirt? One of the primary things that has made him great over his career is his nose for the endzone....He simply smells blood and is hard to deny......obviously we've had a problem when we get inside the 20...hell....the 10 or 5 yard line...at taking that last step to punch it in on the ground or even through the air.

Regarding running Sproles to the outside....That's how defenses are lining up to defend against Sproles...Just daring him to try to run up the gut....which they know his chances for success are minimal. Unlike LT, he can't drive the pile or vault over the top when he needs to....That limits the options....Defensive coordinators can simply set up to defend the perimeter against runs outside or screens...while making sure our big receivers are blanketed. IMO, when LT is in there, defenses will stack the middle to try to keep him out (which doesn't always happen)...and leaves a greater potential for plays outside of the tackles.

13. LinksterAC

LinksterAC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    LT is a stud in the red zone. Absolute animal. Even last year with the injury. I can't wait to get him back. He'd be a game changer against Pittsburgh next week.

14. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Exactly....I think those of us panicking over our current ineptitude at getting into the endzone should just wait and see what kind of impact a healthy LT has....Without question, defenses will shift gameplanning to stop him when we creep up inside the 10 and 5.....Rivers will get some good looks as a result that he is not currently getting.....If LT doesn't get the job done himself.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Like most of last year.

16. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    He sure helped Rivers....who all of a sudden can't get his team into the endzone inside the 20....while he threw for 34 TDs....most of them inside the 20 last year. He also scored double digit TDs again.

right now we have a grand total of 4 TDs inside the red zone through three games in 14 or so opportunities and coutnless failed plays.....One of them was a TD by LT...a 15 yard great pass to VJ.....and Sproles darting up the middle and catching the Raiders D offguard...and Rivers running through a big hole for 5 yards .The rest of our scoring has been via the long-pass...which we need to continue to do anyway....or FG's.

We had a bad, banged up OLine last year, but we still converted a very high percentage of TDs....LT's presence was a major reason for this.