1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Redskins sign Godfrey as backup at linebacker

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Washington Redskins continued the overhaul of their linebacker corps Tuesday, signing unrestricted free agent Randall Godfrey and releasing former starter Lemar Marshall, the team's leader in total tackles over the past two years.
    Godfrey, 34 and a veteran of 11 seasons, is joining his fifth different franchise. He was released by San Diego, where he played the past three seasons, earlier this spring. Details of what is believed to be a one-year contract were not immediately available.
    It is believed that Godfrey, made expendable by the Chargers because they had a young linebacker they wanted to infuse into the rotation, will be a backup for the Redskins.
    The Redskins have a new middle linebacker this season in veteran free agent acquisition London Fletcher, and second-year pro Rocky McIntosh has been elevated to the starter's spot at weakside linebacker. The starting strongside linebacker, former Pro Bowl performer Marcus Washington, will miss two weeks with an elbow injury and may be used more as a situational pass rusher in 2007.
    Marshall, 30, started all but one game at middle linebacker in 2006 and finished second on the team in tackles. He led the Redskins in tackles in 2005 as their starter at weakside linebacker. His release comes at least as a mild surprise.
    A five-year veteran who signed with Washington as a free agent in 2001, Marshall played in 75 games for the Redskins and had 343 tackles. The former Michigan State standout was scheduled to have a base salary of $1 million in 2007.
    The much-traveled Godfrey began his career with the Dallas Cowboys as a second-round pick in the 1996 draft. In stints with Dallas (1996-99), Tennessee (2000-2002), Seattle (2003) and San Diego (2004-2006), the former Georgia star has 822 tackles, 17 sacks, six interceptions, 31 passes defensed, 17 forced fumbles and nine fumbles recovered.
    Godfrey was said to be considering retirement before the Redskins contacted him.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2984529

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Thanks for the years as a Charger, Randall. However, it was time to move on, and the Redskins can definitely use your services. :yes:

We Charger fans will always have this to remember you by:

[​IMG]

:icon_eek:

:tup: :flag:

3. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I'll never forget that hit on Porter :tup:

Porter got jacked up !!!

4. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79

I can watch this all day.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

That is what I expect out of our defense, hard nose kick your *** hit's. :bolt: :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  6. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Dobbins has already shown some of that filling in for Wilhelm. He made some nice tackles at the LoS versus the Rams.

7. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    That .gif is a great physics lesson.

"Kids, watch the right side of the screen. You'll see a blue and gold blur come in right here. It will collide with Jerry Porter here and you'll notice that the blur goes away and you can recognize Randall Godfrey. Meanwhile, you'll see the that the figure of Jerry Porter is now blurry.

It's called transfer of kinetic energy, kids."

:abq2:

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

When they strap em up for real I hope the hit's just keep on coming. Beating your opponent physically is just as important as on the scoreboard.:bolt: :icon_toast:

9. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Randall "Earhole" Godfrey.

We'll miss you.

Oldie Out

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Thats got to be one of the best hits in Chargers history :bolt: :yes: :tup:

11. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I remember Raiders fans crying saying it was a dirty play.

:icon_rofl: :bolt:

12. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    :lol:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  13. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Yeah, their "storied" franchise wouldn't know about that sort of thing at all, would they? :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  14. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Congrats to Godfrey....I hope he finds success with them. I dont mind seeing Cooper in Godfrey's place. Cooper has played VERY well so far this season, and Godfrey was getting up there in years. I didnt want to sit around and guess anymore whether or not Godfrey would come back and play (or retire as a Cowboy, like he said he wanted to do).

15. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    I haven't seen enough of Cooper and Wilhelm to be sure, but I wish we still had Godfrey. Do you guys really think we didn't need him even as a back-up?

16. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I would have liked to have had him, but AJ rescinded his offer to Godfrey after drafting Waters.

17. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10

Need him? No.

Could we have used his experience within the scheme and in the league to help this team in it's push for the Lombardi? Of course.

Godfrey has been injured quite a bit and is no longer a chicken of the spring. Add that to his Favre-ish "will I or wont I" the last two offseasons, and I understand why he is a Redskin now. I sure enjoyed him while he was here! Never forget those veterans that came to the team in 04 (Oben, Goff, Foley, Godfrey, KMac) that helped to solidify this roster and make the transition from worst to first. That wast a flukey coincidence.....that is veteran leadership.

18. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    If only cuz it's against the damn faiders:yes: