1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ref calls

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Heir Coryell, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Heir Coryell

Heir Coryell BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    This has been bothering me all year and it happened again in the super bowl. I think the NFL needs to do something about the inconsistency of pass interference calls. Everybody is blowing off that non-call at the end of the super bowl ....except if you're a Niners fan and then you're getting labeled a whiner. If I was a Niner fan, I'd be irate. I'm hearing things like 'let them play', 'you can't call a penalty in that spot', 'you can't review the entire game for non-calls', etc.....I am so sick of phantom calls that make or break drives and then everybody just dismisses it as part of the game. Pick any game you want this year and there has been a huge questionable call regarding pass interference....it's ridiculous. I'm tired of every receiver making that flag motion when they miss a ball. I want the game decided by the players not the refs....it's really killing my enjoyment of these games. Am I alone in this?
    After concussions - officiating to me this is the biggest problem going with the NFL. How about the non-call on the Weddle clip on the 4th and 29 Raven play ...anybody else can't watch that without screaming "How do you miss that?" Think that non-call changed the Ravens season?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    The fact that an entire ref crew can agree to "keep their flags in their pockets" throughout a Superbowl game is proof positive (as if anyone needed it) that refs have the power to influence the outcome of any game with non-calls, phantom calls, or by calling ticky-tacky fouls away from the play.
    But I don't see how anything can be done about it.

3. Heir Coryell

Heir Coryell BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Is it crazy to think the NFL could make teams play strictly man-t0-man defense to lessen the chances for head to head collisions and just let receivers and corners be allowed to fight down the field again? You have to figure it's just a matter of time before they do something drastic re: player safety with all the heat they're getting. They do it at the Pro Bowl....okay, bad example.

4. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +494
    It's Obama's fault.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,405
    The biggest issue I have with the refs, is when they aren't consistent. If something is called in the 1st quarter, then it should be called at the end as well. The fact is, the refs weren't calling PI or holding for the entire game. Surely, both teams would've noticed that fact.

The Niners (and their fans) can complain all they like, but they got away with the same kind of contact (and worse) earlier in the game and didn't get flagged...... so why should the Ravens get flagged at the end? Both players made contact, and it wasn't even clear that was a catchable ball. Why should the refs bail them out? A non-call was appropriate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Across-the-board consistency would be great. Even inconsistency would be OK if refs were inconsistent with both teams, which as we know isn't always the case.

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    I'm with Blue on this one and I'm usually the first to rip the zebras a new butthole each week over the crap they call/don't call.

This crew was consistent in their "non-calls" all game long, they literally just let these two teams duke it out. Hell they didn't even a eject a guy after he shoved a ref! (I believe it was a 49er too)

All in all, it was an even playing field, albeit a much more loosely regulated one than we're used to.

So yes, 9er fans and their coach need to stop whining about it and move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Heir Coryell

Heir Coryell BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I disagree with the whole idea of rules are rules sometimes and other times they aren't, whether it's from game to game or from play to play. Ask Takeo Spikes how he feels about that Raven player not getting tossed for shoving a ref. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - I guess I'm in the minority about how it affects the viewing enjoyment.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    If the rule book was strictly enforced exactly how it is written, for one we'd need about 4 more (and that's a low-ball figure) officials in order to catch everything, and there would likely be a flag on nearly EVERY play. Fact is, for all the flack (and deservedly so in some cases) the league gets for slanting the rules terribly in favor of passing offenses and against pass-defenses, they (the league) would much rather have a game decided on a non-call than a controversial made-call (see the Fail Mary between Seattle/Green Bay earlier in the season).

I'm in the boat that as long as there is consistency in terms of both the teams (not) getting calls equally from the zebras then I consider that to be a good crew. Speaking as someone who has refereed competitive sports in the past, it's naive to expect them to get every call. That particular non-call at the end of the Super Bowl was a good non-call because the best outcome (despite what some Niners fans would have you believe) San Francisco could have gotten out of it, if all arguable fouls were called, would have been a redo of the down from the exact same LOS as the "hold" by the Ravens DB would have been offset by the "illegal hands to the face" of the receiver on said DB (the same hand he used to push off). Calls were missed to the advantage of BOTH teams - for example, San Francisco's 2nd second half TD was set up by a Ted Ginn return during which three different blocks in the back occurred to spring the returner - one of which was directly in front of a sideline official.

As for "viewing enjoyment", exactly how enjoyable would it be to have 90% (again a generous low-ball figure) of plays called back for a holding or hands to the face penalty? Or for the refs to have to stop play to confer among 8 or 9 of them in total to make sure they got a call on a single play correct?

Honestly, you know what would aid my "viewing enjoyment"? For players to stop acting like Southern European (and South American) soccer players and complaining to officials for calls after every little ticky-tack incidence of (phantom) contact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    All I expect of the refs is a FAIR game - meaning that they hold both teams to the same standards. That's what we got on Super Bowl Sunday.

The Takeo Spikes ejection was a load of crap, made by an officiating crew who wanted to send a message. While I get the intent, especially considering the bad blood between the franchises, it was still a ******* move. Making a BAD call or officiating one team with one set of rules and the other team with another is much different than letting two teams battle it out without much interference.

11. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Bet Jammer would be called for PI on that play. Interesting thought the season really blew up in that NO game which was when the regular refs returned to the games. We had no Ref issues until Saints game. I'm just saying F those bastages.