1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

regular season games to be played outside the US

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Oct 24, 2006.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    from foxsports.com

if the cowboys played the steelers in Mexico City that would be bigger than the superbowl with the masive following those two teams have down there

2. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I think this is crap. I'd feel cheated if they took one of our home games and shipped it off. This is not a tour. This is not icecapades or some crap like that. The NFL is really pissing on the fans now.:angry:

3. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    which fans? :icon_shrug: do you know how many fans there are in Mexico City alone (a city with 20+ million people)? the NFL is a business, and it wants to become (and is becoming) global, lossing 1 home game every 16 years is nothing compared to the benefits of this.

I don't think you care about hundreds of thousands of fans that can't travel to the US to se a game and this would be their only shot at seeing their favorite team live in their lifes :icon_shrug: :tdown:

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I like the idea!

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The only way this would work and be fair to both teams participating is if the game outside the US counts as one of the eight away games for each team.

I.E. Cardinals vs. 49ers in regular season in Mexico City, would count as a divisional away game for both teams. So they still have their 8 home games, and 7 away games played inside the U.S.

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    No, I don't care. They'd never send soccer games to the US just to sell more merchandise. There's a reason why teams are based in a city. Because it's that city's team! Your logic is flawed. "Well, there are a lot of people in this city so they should get to see NFL games moved there just to make them happy."

Nonsense.

Like I said, this isn't some rotational touring company designed to make people on the other side of the world live their life long dream of having the nfl come to their doorstep.:icon_finger:

The globalization of the NFL is a horrific idea.

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    The real market the NFL is eyeing is China. If they can get even 5% market penetration in that country, that's something on the order of 75 million new fans! :icon_eek:

8. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Wonder what that does for the counterfeit jersey industry.:lol:

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    There will be Chinese people wandering the street vendors saying "Hey! I made this shirt!"

:lol:

10. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    ok, I'm not going to discuss this with you any further, it appears that you are a jerk who doesn't care about anything or anybody outside your country, but your :icon_finger: smiley is being directed to my fellow countryman and specially members of my family who attended preseason games and last years game (and are huge cowboys fans) so :icon_finger: right back at you

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    lmao, oh please, don't get so upset. I take the finger from your "countrymen" on a daily basis so ease up on the high and mighty attitude. :icon_tease:

The NFL is a US product. They are not on tour. They are not a band. They are not a show. You can come and watch and I encourage it. But the idea that the NFL needs to play games in foreign countries is the most ludicris idea I've ever heard. It actually dilutes the integrity of the game. The Dallas Cowboys aren't going to mean much if at some point down the road, they're playing half their games in luxemburg just because they have fans there and the NFL wants to make them happy. The Chargers aren't going to have to worry about a stadium when the NFL decides to ship them over to France. It's not an international sport and it shouldn't be shipped out. I know you don't like it, but that's the way it is. It's not about feeling good or whatever. It's about football games should be played where they belong and teams should be playing where they belong.

Dude, sorry if I pissed you off. No hard feelings bro.:tup:

12. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    actually, that IS the way is going to be, I agree with no having it be a traveling circus, but ONE game a year (out of 256) is no big deal, and the Chargers (and every other team) will only lose one home game every 16 years

As far as my contrymen giving you the :icon_finger: there is "resentment" (sometimes hate) between USA and Mexico going both ways I don't endorse or agree with any of it, I have met great people in USA and real a-holes in Mexico so go figure :icon_huh: I guess it's the person, not the nationality

but no worries, we're cool :icon_toast:

13. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Easy to say when you're not losing anything:icon_shrug:

14. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    don't exactly know what you mean :icon_shrug: I'm sure the owners voted in favor of this or it would not have happend (and if they voted in favor it means they'll make money out of it) as for the fans in San Diego, yeah, they'll lose one game every 16 years but other fans will be able to see their favorite team (which you don't care about but I do)

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What are you losing? Nothing. You think it will be your teams home game, but it could be an away game. You lose nothing. There will be more atmosphere around the game, it will be prime time. Its a win win in my eyes.

16. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    ok, you're right. You win. So in return I would like the following to be considered.

1. 2 games a year of Englands "football" to be played in the US. My favorite team is Manchester United. I deserve to see them play because I am a fan and they owe me.

2. 2 games a year of Japans baseball to be played in the US. I would like to see the next Ichiro play. But they have a lot of games, so maybe this should be changed to 1/16th of 4 teams season to be played in the US.

3. 2 matches of each of the 3 major tennis tournaments to be played in the US. Don't they care that I won't be able to see a Wimbledon match in my life? I want to see Sharapova wearing those sexy white skirts in person.

4. 2 F1 races to be held in the US each year. I never got to see Shumacher race in person and now it is too late. He has a lot of fans in the US.

5. 2 games of Brazils "football" games to be played in the US each year. There are a lot of fans here too.

6. 2 Australian rules "football" games to be played in the US. It's growing in popularity and the fans deserve to see the game in person. You can't expect people to go all the way to Australia to see this game. You have to experience it live.

7. 2 games of Rugby to be played in the US. I think it's English, but I'm not sure. This would be a prime opportunity to expand their fan base though. And hey, the fans deserve it.

8. 2 games of Chinese dodgeball to be played in the US. I saw them on an episode of South park a couple years back and became a fan. There's no way I can make it to China, so they should come here.

Ok, so maybe I'm being a little overboard about this, but do you see my point?

17. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Prime Time???

It's going to be on at like 4:00 in the morning.:icon_huh:

18. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    well you certainly put a lot of thought into it, bottom line is the NFL is doing this not because they care about the fans in other countries but because they believe it will make them money, I (as a fan) like the idea that other fans that normally can't see those games in USA will be able to see them live, at least once in their lifes (we'll keep disagreeing with this)

By your tone it doesn't look like your upset at losing a home game as much as you are upset at losing something else to "those damn foreigners" (local radio show reference)

19. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I actually touched on this in the "other" forum, there is a 9 hour difference between say Berlin and San Diego, a 6pm game ther would be a 9 am game here and 12pm in the east coast, not primetime for the networks but fine to us, if they played say in Japan, I would stay up late to watch the game (if it where the Chargers). I'm sure the NFL has thought of this

Mexico City is central time

20. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    See that is the thing. I feel like the rest of the world hates us already, why are we giving up something which is uniquely our sport? I always always always hear that "american football" is only popular in america and we are idiots because we don't play real football like the rest of the world does and it's so much more popular in the rest of the world etc. It's like losing national identity or something. I fear it will become the International Football League and we'll lose something that is almost fundamental to our culture or some such anthropological thing like that:unsure:

Losing a home game would be horrible. Like it was stated earlier, they would have to make it an away game for both teams, which is still going to piss off a lot of fans. Especially if it's a rivalry game. There is no way ever that places like Green Bay or Pitts or (sadly) KC would tolerate that. There would be riots.

21. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I think people "hate" you because they don't actually know you as individuals, I think they actually hate your goverment and its actions around the world (which are debatable) I think you can hate what a lot of goverments do around the world but not necesarily hate the people of those countries

Anyways...I don't think they can make those games two away games for both teams, let's see, if one game a year is played like this, that would mean that 2 teams would play 8 home games and 7 normal away games wouldn't that unbalance the schedule?

22. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    I think they should play an entire second league in those foreign countries. That way we'd have two seasons! They could play year around and we'd never have to watch other lesser sports! :tup:

They could call the Chargers the San Diego Chargers from Argentina (or wherever). Think how fast these players would be setting new records!

23. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    What team would ever agree to give up home field advantage? Then you're asking them to play only 7 home games, 8 road games and a road game in another country. Now that would be unbalanced:no:

But don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind playing our road game against denver someplace else. Just don't think the Donks are gonna go for it:icon_rofl:

24. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    Isn't that what NFL Europe is?

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Never will it be aired at that time. The networks pay WAY too much in advertising for that. Start thinking about this a little more logically.

26. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    No, that's a bunch of scrubs, I'm saying use the same teams - players, coaches, etc. Like a rerun. Guess they won't go for it though.

Kidding aside-
    I think exodus hit on the real problem. In a league where each game is so important, it'll give teams in your division an unfair advantage if they are all playing at home 8 times while you play at home only7 times. I'll bet you they'll never take a home game away from the Cowboys or the NY teams. If they play in some other country, it won't be one of their home games.

27. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    But if it's not aired live, the score will be known before it's shown on tV and the ratings will lag.

We have a few Charger fans in other countries that get up in the middle of the night to watch them, but how many would do that?

28. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I am perfectly logical. With the internet and 24 hour sports and news coverage, plus satalite tv and all manner of things, they have to show it live. There might be a replay, but that's not going to do much good when everyone knows what happens hours and hours ahead of time.:icon_shrug:

Haven't you ever stayed up till 3:00 in the morning to watch a tennis match? I have:yawn:

:yes:

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No I would never stay up to watch a tennis match, the games will be prime time. No other choice. These are not preseason, these are for real regular season games. It is a good thing. Go with it.

30. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    What are you talking about? You think they're going to have people go to a stadium at 5 in the morning then??? Maybe there'll be a [/i]replay[/i] at primetime, but by then, everyone in the world will already know the outcome.

And by your very statement, "...these are for real regular season games." you make a very good case for not sending them to another country:icon_shrug: