1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Remaining Divisional Schedules - predictions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 65TossPowerTrap, Oct 22, 2010.

1. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Let's do a little schedule breakdown of our four divisional teams here:

The division leading Chiefs stand at 3-2. Here is their remaining schedule:

Jacksonville @ Arrowhead
    Buffalo @ Arrowhead
    @ Oakland
    @ Denver
    Arizona @ Arrowhead
    @ Seattle
    Denver @ Arrowhead
    @ San Diego
    @ St. Louis
    Tennessee @ Arrowhead
    Oakland @ Arrowhead

Let's look at San Diego's remaining schedule. They sit at 2-4:

New England @ The Q
    Tennessee @ The Q
    @ Houston
    Bye
    Denver @ The Q
    @ Indy
    Oakland @ The Q
    Kansas City @ The Q
    San Fran @ The Q
    @ Cinci
    @ Denver

Here is a look at 2-4 Denver's remaining schedule:

Oakland @ Invesco
    @ San Fran
    Bye
    Kansas City @ Invesco
    @ San Diego
    St Louis @ Invesco
    @ Kansas City
    @ Arizona
    @ Oakland
    Houston @ Invesco
    San Diego @ Invesco

And finally, here is the 2-4 Oakland Raiders' remaining schedule:

@ Denver
    Seattle @ Oakland
    Chiefs @ Oakland
    Bye
    @ Pittsburgh
    Miami @ Oakland
    @ San Diego
    @ Jacksonville
    Denver @ Oakland
    Indy @ Oakland
    @ Kansas City

----------------------------------------

Predictions:

KC:

Seems to have the easiest road.

Even if the Chiefs split with Denver and Oakland, lose to San Diego and lose to either Seattle away or Tennessee at home, they are still 10-6. Worst case that I see for this team is a sweep by Denver, split with Oakland, loss to San Diego, loss to Seattle and Tennessee, making them 8-8. I don't think that worst-case scenario is particularly likely, but it could happen. That would leave the door open for even a mediocre 9-7 team to take the division.

SD:

Now, I think even in a best case scenario for SD, you have to estimate NE and Indy as losses based on performances to this point. I also think a loss to Houston is likely. That's 7 losses right there. A split with Denver would make them 8-8 on the year. Anything can happen, and the return of V-JAx makes slow starting San Diego even more of a late threat, but they have dug themselves a pretty deep hole, and will need help to get out.

Denver:

Like Kansas City, Denver is a threat to win the division primarily because of a weak remaining schedule. Unlike Kansas City, they already have 4 losses. They will have to come on strong to have a chance. They could do it if they manage to lose only once to San Diego and Kansas City and drop the Houston game, while winning out the rest of the way finishing at 9-7 and getting some help from the rest of the division. I can't see them losing less than 3 more, and I feel a sweep from any divisional foe will do them in.

Oakland:

Let's just be realistic here. It would take a miracle for the already 2-4 Raiders to make the playoffs. Even if they didn't have a host of fundamental organizational problems, they have probably the toughest remaining schedule in the division. At Pittsburgh has to be a loss, and hosting Indy and Miami won't be easy either. This is all in addition to tough divisional games they still have to play, and let's be honest, Oakland will drop at LEAST one or two games they should win. I don't see how they finish with a winning record, let alone threaten for the division.

That's my look at the division to this point. Of course everything could change fast, but right now, this is how I see it.

How do you see it?

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Pretty good assessment. 9-7 just might win the AFC Worst. :lol:

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    You could have just summarized Oakland's record with two words: Kyle Boller

4. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    I can do you two better:

Al Davis

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    The division leading Chiefs stand at 3-2. Here is their remaining schedule:

Jacksonville @ Arrowhead W
    Buffalo @ Arrowhead W
    @ Oakland L
    @ Denver L
    Arizona @ Arrowhead W
    @ Seattle W (although on the fence with this one, same with AZ)
    Denver @ Arrowhead W
    @ San Diego L
    @ St. Louis W
    Tennessee @ Arrowhead L
    Oakland @ Arrowhead W

Guess I predict a ten win season for the chiefs. That's the magic number we need to obtain.

6. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    It amuses me that you accuse me of being a troll and a homer, yet when confronted by the realities of the schedule, you predict the exact same record I have since week two lol.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I think the Chiefs winning 10 games is laughable. Sooner or later teams are going to figure out the puzzel, then the adversity, injuries, and lack of talent and DEPTH will hit them like a ton of bricks and its going to come down to Matt Cassel making plays.......which won't happen.

I expect them to beat Jacksonville this week due to the fact that their 4th string QB Todd Bouman is starting, and they have an awful secondary capable of making Cassel look competent. But if Garrard was playing I might take JAX.

8. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    I never said your predictions were unrealistic, just your arrogance was unrighteous and unwarranted given the fact your team has done nothing to back it up as of late. Seeing your cake schedule for the first time, yeah I'd say you have a shot at ten wins. Only because I can't see the Seahawks pull out another miraculous special teams triumph, and I have no idea which Arizona team is going to show up. The one who beat the Saints handily or the ones who had their asses handily handed to them by the Chargers.

Those two games are not gimme W's in my prediction and could go either way. So 8-8 is very likely.

9. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    The what was arrogant? All I ever said was, given the schedule and the division, the Chiefs are the odds on favorite at this point. I never said the chargers COULDN'T pull something out, only that it was a longer shot.

TBH, you and Matty have been FAR more arrogant than I ever have.

10. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    Just like the Chargers were going to easily fix those special teams problems after week one, right? Until they DO it, you can only go on what IS, not what you HOPE will be.

You seem to think Matt Cassel has to be Peyton Manning to succeed (oh wait...you also said Peyton is declining and Phyllis Rivers is much better than him). The truth is, he doesn't need to be either. All he has to do is take care of the ball (something Phyllis has been unable to do so far), and OCCASIONALLY make a play. He has shown that he is capable of doing both.

The blueprint to success in the NFL does not exclusively feature a 4000+ yard passing QB who slings it around indiscriminately. don't get me wrong, neither I, nor most Chiefs fans are sold on Matt Cassel as the future of our franchise, but he has shown that he can be an efficient game manager - which, with our defense and special teams, should be enough for a playoff run.

As for your lack of depth argument, the Chiefs have had solid on the field contributions from 52 members of its 53 man roster. Only Brody Croyle has not seen playing time. They are playing very well as a true TEAM. They currently lack depth only at receiver and O-line, but truthfully, that is the same for many teams. In the age of parity, no one has the depth that dynastic teams used to maintain.

11. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Your initial arrogance coupled with your timely posts immediately following a few crushing losses we pulled out of our hat was where YOU started off on the wrong foot, anything you have been thrown after that is your own doing. Like I've said before, neither Matilack or myself jump all over opposing fans for no reason. I don't know about him but I think quite highly of a handful of regs in here who support their teams.

You came in and represented yourself in the same exact fashion (without going completely overboard) as many Bronco fans in the past. Notice you don't see any Bronco fan posting here. It was deja vu all over again aside from the fact that you have sidestepped the complete errors of their ways.

You also seemed to act as if you know more about this team than members here do, like you have all the answers plus the crystal ball. That may not be the complete case, but that's how many of your posts have come off.

This is a virtual home for Charger fans, so I get the idea that you don't have to leave and it's your computer yada yada yads, but regardless who is right or wrong during our "discussions" what type of person goes into someone else home, talks shyt to long time members, and sticks around a while? So say what you want about the content of my texts toward you, YOU are the visitor, and haven't been such an adult one. I'm sure you have enough sense to agree with that statement.

Now if you'd like to start fresh I am all for it. Football is a great game and part of that is it's fan base. I don't expect you to kiss someone's azz, but at the same time be as gracious guest as the admins here have been host.

12. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    You must have serious anger management problems and a serious inferiority complex if you take any comments I have made here so seriously. You claim my comments are arrogant, and yet, every "timely" post you mention has been in response to one of either your or Matty's TRULY arrogant posts where you continue to make excuses (blaming the weather/STs/refs) for every loss while at the same time claiming your team is SOOOOOOO much better than the teams you keep LOSING to. You also keep using the fact that you and Matty are so pleasant to fans of other teams, and yet...they are not here...AND you two are pretty much the only people who have seemed to react so belligerently towards me. I would think by now, you'd understand that that type of behavior will NEVER deter me from commenting :)

Keep it up though. It is truly entertaining.

13. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Way to continue being an adult. Stick to what you know i suppose.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Bias aside you have 3 wins against teams who are all struggling, a combined 4-12. Its too early to start declaring the chiefs a 10 win team after 3 strait years of 4 wins or less.

15. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Very true. But they really do have a favorable schedule. This week they look to match last seasons win output.

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This thread had potential.

17. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    But the op just couldn't prevent his true colors from showing.

18. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    Ever notice that every thread seems to go downhill the moment YOU post in it?

There are plenty of other threads for you to troll.

19. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    No point in making predictions, anything can happen in the NFL. NOBODY thought the Chargers would play AWFUL against the RAMS and lose, but they did. Nobody thought the Chargers would be sitting at 2-4, but they are, despite their stats. For all we know the Panthers might run the table,:lol:

20. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    Well, of course nothing is set in stone, but we have seen enough this year to make some somewhat educated predictions. Sure, there are a lot of variables that can change every week, but at this point in the season, I think we can be pretty sure that the Panthers or Browns or Bills aren't going to make a superbowl run lol.

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    neither will the Chargers, Chiefs or Broncos. But hope for a playoff appearance is still an option.

22. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Panthers, Bills, Bucs, Chiefs, Browns, Seahawks, Lions. All bad teams over the past several seasons, with little, or no improvement.

23. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    LOL If you think the Chiefs haven't improved you're delusional. We're by no means world beaters yet, but we don't at all resemble those listless, directionless Herm Edwards teams or last years first year of a full franchise (from OWNER down) rebuild.

24. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I SAID little or no improvement. The key word was "little". If I have to clarify my wording for you.... BILLS no improvement, BUCS little improvement, BROWNS no improvement, SEAHAWKS little improvement (HC) LIONS little improvement, Chiefs little improvement.

25. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    New England @ The Q WIN
    Tennessee @ The Q WIN
    @ Houston LOSS
    Bye
    Denver @ The Q LOSS
    @ Indy LOSS
    Oakland @ The Q WIN
    Kansas City @ The Q WIN
    San Fran @ The Q WIN
    @ Cinci LOSS
    @ Denver WIN

I predict a 9-7 finish With Indy breaking their losing streak to us also! lol

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  27. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Since starting 3-0 and KC fans putting them in the SB this year :lol: KC has went 2-4 since September.

Just sayin' :chiefssuck::icon_shrug:

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Chargers - @Indy is the only really tough game we have left. But all of a sudden SF is starting to wake up, and @Cincy in December scares me because of weather, either would be a crippling loss.

Raiders - This schedule is murder. @Pit, @SD, Indy, Mia, @KC, @Jacksonville (not in order)...I could see them losing every one of these games. Still a young team learning how to win, I don't believe in Jason Campbell, and I don't believe in that secondary if Asomugha can't get back.

Chiefs - The puzzle has been figured out as I promised it would eventually. I see losses @SD, @STL, vs TEN and probably @SEA who is a better team at home.

Broncos - I don't know what to think about this team. Are they the team that got blasted by Oakland 59-14, or the team that beat KC 49-29 (not that close)? Only tough games they have left are the two against the Chargers, thankfully they've already lost 6 games and could well be out of it.

29. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    My thought on Denver is they had a bye week to rest up, game plan and get psyched up to rise up and beat KC at home. Playing a nearly healthy Chargers team in San Diego that is starting to work the kinks out should burst their bubble Monday night.

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    McDaniels runs that New England offense, we nearly always do a good job against that quick passing scheme. Last year we beat them 32-3 in Denver, and even in our loss to NE this year we kept them under 200 total yards and its a game we win if not for the fluky fumbles.

We SHOULD beat Denver. But I hate Norv Turner off any kind of break, weather its the offseason, a bye, halftime, or even a frickin timeout. Norv is one of the worst at getting his team prepared, and I fear what could happen if we leave them in it.