1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Remind me again what Norv's value to this team is?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 25, 2011.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Anyone?

It sure as hell can't be offense, cuz this is 3 weeks in a row we've really struggled against BAD DEFENSIVE TEAMS.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Right now it seems it's more a matter of poor execution -- turnovers and short yardage ineptitude are killing us.

3. firebagfan

firebagfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    we are not a good football team period.

• Like Like x 2
  4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We don't seem to have any red zone plays either, we do fine between the 20's, but once we get into range its time to **** the bed!

5. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I'd say he definately has a negative value

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm being serious though.

1st down: Run up the middle.
    2nd down: Screen to RB, or failed 9 route.
    3rd down: Desperate throw to the sticks under heavy pressure....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

What is so damn brilliant about that formula? And I guaranteed 99% of our drives start out with some combination of those 3 plays.

And god forbid I start breaking down our redzone playcalling over the last 3 weeks, WHAT UTTER DOG ****!

7. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Team chemistry?

8. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    That's one of Norv's halmarks. He can't coach execution. The exact reason the Chargers get off to slow starts most every season. Their not prepared. It's also why they finish strong. The team figures it out for themselves as they move through the season.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Heh... you do wonder when a teams like New England can always find scheme to move the ball and score.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Uh...whats that word....umm.....continuity?:tup: :poop:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I'm going to try and not go all Norv4Life on you guys but seriously this team is now the epitome of the head coach. you take the team's character from that of its head coach - it is lazy, it doesn't have a killer instinct, it is lackadasical, it is stale, it cares little for doing things right because there appears to be no ownership of mistakes, and above all else it is passive and content to let things happen to them rather then go out and make things happen.

I'm sorry but this also applies with Manusky - no blitzing, little pressure, no fire, no aggression no nothing. The Chargers get punched and held repeatedly during the game, no response from the O or D. The defense gets three major BS penalties on three third downs and they do nothing. If it wasn't for Eric Weddle's interception, we would have blown a game where we held the other team initally to 40 yds total offense and no 1st downs in the first half against the worst team in the NFL

This is absurd, and the worst part is that Norv and Manusky can claim this is a W, they won, and that's why they should still be gainfully employed by the Chargers. Its wins like this that Norv has built his time in SD on and are the only reason I think he still has a job

• Like Like x 4
  12. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    How do explain them suddenly forgetting in the post season?

13. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I completely agree with you Ant. What did AJ hire Norv for? If it was for his technical ability...drawing up offensive schemes and what have you...where is the final product? There doesn't seem to be any! And Norv can hardly fall back on his motivational ability to rev up the troops and get them through the tough times can he? Also, people have mentioned what a great foil he is for Phillip Rivers, but he doesn't seem to have Rivers prepared to go out and play this year. I am willing to conceed that this maybe due to the NFl lockout situation early in the year.

14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I completely agree with you Ant. What did AJ hire Norv for? If it was for his technical ability...drawing up offensive schemes and what have you...where is the final product? There doesn't seem to be any! And Norv can hardly fall back on his motivational ability to rev up the troops and get them through the tough times can he? Also, people have mentioned what a great foil he is for Phillip Rivers, but he doesn't seem to have Rivers prepared to go out and play this year. I am willing to conceed that this maybe due to the NFl lockout situation early in the year.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    absolutely this

perfect post Ant

• Like Like x 1
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    You wanna see ridiculous - even Kevin Acee wasn't buying the crap from the Chargers coaches and leaders. That they are what they are, that they aren't far from being really good, that they're not there yet.

Bullshit

I saw an offense that had Rivers, McMichael, Floyd and others waiving their arms confused, throwing their hands up in frustration and otherwise with their hands on their hips. That's a sign of pure confusion and of players not understanding what's going on. And this isn't the damn Cleveland Browns with new players everywhere and a new scheme - these are veteran players across the board who seem to be scratching their heads wondering WTF is going on. For all the talk of genius what we see right now is a QB who has either plauteaued (not permanently but for now) or is experience a down year in a system where people don't see to know what they're doing and is poorly executed. Ironically the only thing that seems to be working correctly is the running game, but even then we run so damn often on first down that teams key in to it like crazy.

I'm tired of seeing this, I really am. Short of a super bowl, blow the coaching staff out. We can't keep seeing this crap!

17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    There is absolutely NO FLOW whatsoever to the offense. They NEVER seem to get into a groove. If something works a couple times, we NEVER see it again. At one point in the 2nd half we were just POUNDING the Chiefs into submission then suddenly Mathews is removed from the game and never heard from again. WTF?!?1

I am so ******* fed up with Norv and his do barely enough to not get fired for another week approach. I'm beginning to want to see a full on mutiny too.

18. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Just a thought... it IS still September and like the past we may still be coming into stride. Let's wait until crunch time before we say anything negative? We did what we were supposed to do which was beat the beatable team today and that's really all that matters. We definitely have room for improvement but it's only week 3 now and the pieces are slowly starting to come together.

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Jesus...is every Chargers forum in slit-your-wrist-melt-down-mode? :roflmao:

Ant, I didn't see what you saw: a "confused" offense as you seem to claim. Rivers threw two BAD picks. The worst picks I have EVER seen him throw. KC had a chance to convert both of those into points and FAILED on both. KC's missed FG after the first turnover seems to be the difference maker.

On defense, Cason got TORCHED what seemed like ALL day. He didn't turn around on Bowe TD. Didn't turn around on the Breston reception down to our one and appeared to be chasing after Pope on the TD.

I'm not panicking.

When it comes to the Chargers, this is the mantra:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Norv’s playcalling & sideline demeanor can be very suspect at times, but I’m not blaming him entirely for the sluggish start, especially considering that we’re 2-1 after 3 games, and the fact that Philip Rivers is in some kind of mysterious funk that is making it utterly impossible to beat good teams, and very difficult to beat bad ones.

We should not have needed a late interception from Eric Weddle to “preserve” a 3 point victory over a decimated team with a bad quarterback, who we just seemed incapable of putting away no matter how many chances they gave us to!

On a positive note, that bizarre streak of 32 consecutive games (including preseason & the playoffs) of none of
    our opponents ever missing a field goal against us, is now over…. :tup:

21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    My overriding thought after last night's debacle was this. We have a group of very average to poor coaches. The playcalling on O in general was abysmal, from running on 1st down every time to sticking with the QB sneak when KC were so ready for it. I dunno but I can't help thinking Philip should take/be allowed to change calls when necessary. It seems to me he runs Norv's call almost no matter what.

As for Manusky. I reckon behind the tough guy image we've got a guy who isn't that smart. I can't believe this guy is a DC, I reckon he is a spoofer (terminology over here for somebody with no idea but talks shite trying to cover that fact).

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    What a bunch of pussies.

And I don't mean the team.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    We saw two of the worst head coaches in the NFL. Norv will finally be fired at the end of this season, I'm sick of looking at his regurgitated vagina neck.

• Like Like x 2
  24. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Hey chicken littles, we're 2-1, a win is a win so get over how ugly it was. We still have all of October, Norvember and December to play ball. We WILL get better, just keep calm and enjoy the fact that we're not 0-3 like we would be in previous years.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yeah, this right here is what the majority of this forum has been saying for the past 5 seasons and every year the result has been worse under N:confused:rv. It's time to drop the "there's always next week" mentality this shitbag of a head coach has instilled in the fan base and DEMAND results NOW instead of hoping for them to arrive at a later date. Where did that leave us last year, hmmm?

Despite the win and 2-1 record this team looks sloppy, unfocused, and dumb.

26. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Fixed it for you. :)

• Like Like x 2
  27. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    He's Norv did anyone expect any different?

28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Did you forget to log in as your multi Norv4Life?

Seriously, when did soo many posters become a broken record?

29. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    2-1 is 2-1. We said we needed to stop getting off to slow starts, not that it needed to be pretty. There's room for improvement, but 2-1 is still 2-1.

• Like Like x 1