1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Remind me why an 18 game schedule is so bad?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Sep 1, 2011.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Can someone with a straight face tell me they'd have preferred one or two regular season games over the last two preseason games? Seriously?

Either way thank god it's over

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    It gives guys like Tolzien one more chance to prove they deserve to be on an NFL roster. There are also things you can work on in a game that you can't in practice, like blitz pickup. Sure they may try to simulate it in practice, but nobody is trying to turn the corner at full speed in shorts.

I think the NFL should have 2 bye weeks as it is, 18 games season just sounds EXAUHSTING. You'd get more injuries, and more meaningless games at the end of year, it'd be watered down like the MLB schedule.

3. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm 100% for 18 reg games & only 2 useless pre's.

Why would any season ticket holder want to pay for 4 meaninless games at full price vs only being forced to pay for 2 meaninless games?

Even if u buy to resale you will get much more $ if you choose to sell your tickets vs preseason tickets that people give away free in the parking lot each year pre's.

4. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Agree with this.

That is an exaggeration of the first water.

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I am all for keeping the 16 game schedule, and dropping 2 preseason games. I paid full ticket value plus $25.00 to watch that crap last night!

6. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    The 18 game season... (2 preseason)... works up here in the CFL. Nobody is going to tell me that it won't work in the NFL as well. All of the apocalyptic injury and watered down claims are a load of bollocks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Would we have as many undrafted free agents if it weren't for 4 weeks of preseason? ... I think it is worth it for evaluation. I don't think they should charge full price for a game that mostly features 2nd and 3rd stringers. Not to mention those that won't be on the team next week.

8. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Well they do. To buy an entire season ticket package, I have to buy both preseason games. And they charge full ticket value on those preseason game tickets. And I get to pay full value to watch a bunch of perople who will be cut from the team.

9. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Yes .. i know .. I'm just saying they shouldn't.

But, I think there is some value to these preseason games when it comes to evaluating rookies and those that are on the bubble to make the team. I think you'd see people go to the games if they charged less for the game.

It's funny, I was catching up on the DVRd game last night and they had an interview with one of the Spanos kids talking about how the Chargers and the NFL have a commited partership with Youth Football and Pop Warner. I was thinking that was odd considering most teams were practicing until 7:30 or so that evening so most people missed the 1st part of the game. The 1st preseason game started at 5pm and most people missed that as well. Of course there was really no way to make either game..

#imjustsaying

10. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Didn't they already try this in the past? .. '93 I think.

11. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I with adding another bye week. Players get rest, everyone makes more money because the season is extended by a week, and fans get to watch more football. If someone can think of a reason to not have another bye week, or why the NFL decided against it after 1993, I'd like to hear it.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It would actually be on meaningless game instead of 2 since season ticket holders don't buy away game tickets.

Glad you once again show how much of a genius you are

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Probably all the same stuff people were saying when they went from 14 to 16 games.

14. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    I'm of the opinion that 4 pre season games is too much. What they can do (and like we did in Dallas) is have some scrimmages against the opponent instead of a real preseason game. That's one way to eliminate a couple of pre-season games. 18 and 2 works just as good as 16 and 4, if not better.

15. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    I'm on the fence regarding 2 v. 4 preseason games ..

I just wonder if we would have found and kept .. Gates, Dielman, Cooper (whatever you think of him, he was still a starter), Cesaire, Tolbert, Floyd, Nwagbuo, Tucker, Applewhite, Osgood, or Gregory .. Would have had enough time to evaluate them in game performance?

16. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Hell no to 2 more regular season games. I hate the preseason just as much as anyone else, but we do not need 2 additional games to potential cause injury and water down an already good product. Again, I don't like the preseason, but I understand why we need it to evaluate talent...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    With a regular (non-lockout) off-season there would be plenty of opportunities to evaluate the talent, by giving the rookies and free agents a lot of snaps in the pre-season games. Combine that with one or two scrimmages like what we did with Dallas this year and the coaches and players get what they need...and I only pay for one "amateur night" each season.

If they did go to 18 games I would be OK with adding a couple of roster spots... but because the CBA is set for the next 10 years, this probably isn't happening.

18. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Dielman has consistently said that he is not sure he would have made the team if it wasn't for the 4th preseason game.

19. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    How about a 30 game schedule with no bye weeks?

• Like Like x 1
  20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I think that is the misconception that fanst dont want the change because of paying for preseason and are for 2less pregames.

Im cool with the 16 game because of history and records. Its bad enuff players got 2 more games per season to top former greats. Now you wanna give em 4?? We might as well make sure to change our opinion of how many INTs a QB can get away with throwing in route to breaking a TD record.

Eh I know records/individual accolades dont come before the scheme and winning the game that you are in. RBs... they already are screwed now that the majority of.... all of the NFL is now RB by commitee. No more Featureback to steal every snap and rush for every TD. Season stats can be inflated, but when you go into career then comes in the dilluting down of the value of every Sack or TD. 2k yds rushing by one back.... you can expect this to be the standard for average RBs with 18 games. If a player cant get over 1600yds, then they clearly suck or they have a stupid coach calling the wrong plays. And when 5 players rush for 2k each in the same season??? Sounds cool, but sure does devalue how much harder it was for past players.

18 gay schedule. Cut the cost of Pseasongames not the game itself.

21. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Ray is on to something here! Should we expand the roster to about 150 players? :)

• Like Like x 2
  22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Yea imo I dont think season ticket renewers should have to pay for the pseason games as a perk. Also that day ticket buyers should be spending 50% value to what the Reg season would cost, because all we are doin is being NFL addicts going to these games in the first place. Why are we being punished for loving the product they have to sell, even when its just like tuning into an infomercial with these games.

If they could go to 18 they damn well better not just add lets say 5 to the 53, they better up the active roster another 2-3. It is nice its up to 46 now.... but like you said the CBA is a done deal, there prob is a clause to opt to 18 somehow as butthurt to get it done as The Douche has been.

23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Unfortunatly I know how RtdG would get that done. We would jus have 16 teams 120 player rosters.

24. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    That seems to be the right number on the surface .. :abq1:

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    My complaint about the preseason is two fold:
    1. It usually is obscenely boring because its Scrubby McScrub from Scrub State vs S. Scruberman from University of Scrub for half to 2/3ds to (like yesterday) the entire game
    2. As a season ticket holder I pay full price for a game that i don't get my money's worth on. If the ticket prices were cheaper, along with parking, food, etc then I could make a case about it being worth it. But paying 80$ per game (same as regular season) in addition to $25 for parking and the absolute robbery if i want a bottle of water or a hot dog, makes it absolutely absurd. Especially if I see the Scrub battle for the majority of the game. How is that worth my money or my time when I could watch it at home

26. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Either way cut 2 preseason games. Fans are being forced to pay full price for games they mostly do not want to go to.

27. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Hey!! Lay off the University of Scrub! :p

28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    but some of us are tired of watching the entire Scrub alumni association try out for the special teams unit.

29. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    Special Teams = very important.

Watching 45 people try out for 2-3 Special Teams spot = boring. :)

30. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I'd rather see a 17 game regular season, and only 3 preseason games! I know the NFL keeps it at an even number, so that every team conceivably gets the same number of home & away games, but we still have a couple teams going to London every year & I believe the Bills play some games in Canada. Games are often rescheduled to accommodate the World Series or other events, or relocated due to natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina in 1995, when the Saints/Giants game was moved to New York & the Giants got 9 home games…the rest of their divisional foes protested, and oddly enough the Giants won the NFC East that year.

It could work if every team played a game at a neutral site each season, which would be a good opportunity for the NFL to schedule games in cities that don’t currently have a team – it would generate tons of interest and give folks in places like Portland the opportunity to attend NFL games without traveling somewhere, and all those games would probably sell out!

Another benefit would be only 3 preseason games, they are important opportunities to evaluate new players in game time situations, and as mentioned before, that is often the only way an undrafted free agent makes a team over someone who was selected in the later rounds, and I’d hate to imagine how the Bolts would’ve done the past 5 years or so without all the players that reddenedbeard mentioned. http://bolttalk.com/goto/post?id=672674#post-672674

We appear to have a few UFA gems in camp this year as well, like Brian Walters, Scott Tolzien & Darryl Gamble.

• Like Like x 1