1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing Cro

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Mar 10, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    IMO, we probably will not draft a CB with our first round pick. So... which good CBs will be available in the second and third rounds for us?

2. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    We are starting to look like the Detroit Lions, but instead of drafting Wideouts we're drafting DB's every year.

I say we try Cason out before we draft someone. I'd rather get a RB in the first round than can help Rivers out.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    We have to give Cason the year to see what he's made of. We can't draft another cornerback this year very high up otherwise we've effectively wasted two draft picks (2007 & this year's). For better or for worse, Cason is going to be hte Starting Cornerback.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think Cason will be alright across from Jammer. He played damn well at AZ & is a savvy guy, just didn't fit where RR needed him last year.

Let's also not forget that we have Oliver & Hughes in the wings & that Gregory was drafted as a CB, IIRC. Not saying that we won't look at another DB at some point in the draft, but losing Cromartie doesn't move the need up but so far in my book.

5. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I don't think we use a top two pick on a CB. Nor do I think we should.

I think this will be a patented mid-round reach by AJ for a CB diamond in the rough. Not necessarily a bad thing, some of those reaches have turned to gold, but I do think that will happen. Just to keep us on our toes, maybe it will be a track star the UK that he just couldn't risk losing to another team. :lol:

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Antonio Cromartie played for Florida State and so did Myron Rolle. Look for Rolle to be in a Bolts uniform next year

7. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    HAHAHA not this again!:icon_rofl:

8. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    We have pretty good depth at the moment at CB!

I for one would be happy to see how that pans out for us. Maybe we could at further depth later in the rounds...not the first 3 rounds though..

9. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    AJ will stun you all by drafting a corner in the first, an inside linebacker in the second, then a backup quarterback, and then a conversion project player on offense, then another inside linebacker, and so on.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I like the ILB in the 2nd if his name is Brandon Spikes. :tup:

11. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Based upon what I have seen in college footage, Cason is a stud--he is NOT an INT-whore, but he possesses great tackling skills and elite coverage skills...and unlike Cro, is a true football player who actually enjoys taking a leadership role on defense. I saw him in Arizona and he actually took pride in being the marquee player of that defense, leading by example by playing big in crucial moments.

I think he just needs two things to succeed: playing time to show his abilities and confidence that his skills can translate at an NFL level.

As far as the 2010 draft:
    --I have a gut feeling that Cody will be our R1 pick. Especially with our willingness to gamble with Sproles and reluctance to re-sign Jamal at an aggressive price.
    --In a deep RB class, there should be a good pick left in R2 with our name on him, and it could be Mathews or Dwyer...or maybe even Hardesty/Gerhart in R3. However, I speculate on a power back to complement Sproles over picking another speed guy like Spiller or Best.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This is one area I am totally not concerned. Cason will do fine. Cromartie will not be missed.

13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Funny thing is I would love to see Myron Rolle in a Bolts uniform next year. He is a ridiculously smart player who doesn't commit many mistakes in the secondary.

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Me too! :tup:

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    With Cody dropping weight and keeping his strength, I have changed my mind about not drafting him early. We could draft a couple backs before the 5th round as far as I'm concerned.

16. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Cody's potential is sky-high--much like an NBA big man. After all, you cannot teach size, and his pedigree is as a winner in the college ranks...and the Pats, possibly our main competition for a NT, have Wilfork locked up.

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Cromartie =

[​IMG]

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    to me. This is the big question. I'm sure cason will take over cro's spot. But we will probably need a 3rd good cb.

19. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    QFT, and the Jets released 2 perfectly-good CBs who could likely each be had at a reasonable price in a month or so.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Look for myron rolle to run away from the ball carrier like antonio cromarty did. THey must teach some weird kind of new age, non physical tackling at fsu :icon_rofl: