1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Report Card Vs. Chiefs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,847
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67068&type=StrategyAndPersonnel

PASSING OFFENSE: C -- Philip Rivers had a rocky start, fumbling away one ball and throwing an interception. But the pass-protection was shaky, especially early on, when the crowd seemed to get under Rivers' skin. Rivers rallied in the second half and his work was among the reasons they came back to tie the game. And don't overlook LaDainian Tomlinson tossing his fifth career touchdown pass. But too many mistakes early put the Chargers in a 14-0 hole and it proved to be a hill too big to climb.

RUSHING OFFENSE: B -- Improvement here, but the Chargers still don't have the we're-going-to-run-then-ball down your throat mentality it once did. Tomlinson averaged 4.4 yards per carry but he only carried it 15 times -- instead he had more yards (72) in the pass game. Tomlinson has now gone five straight games without getting 100 yards. The Chargers, as a team, fell 3 yards short in getting to the century mark. Overall, the run blocking was average.

PASS DEFENSE: C
    -- If the Chiefs' Trent Green drops 232 passing yards on you, that's one thing. But it was Damon Huard doing the damage and in particular the Chargers couldn't cover Tony Gonzalez -- he had six catches for 138 yards. The pass rush took the week off, with the Chargers only getting to Huard twice. Quentin Jammer got burnt for one touchdown. The tackling here was bad.

RUSH DEFENSE: D --The Chargers never did look confident squaring up on Larry Johnson, and he went for 132 rushing yards. The tackling on the runs was terrible, and that will be addressed in this week's practice. The Chargers were missing run-stuffer Igor Olshansky and it showed. Johnson has now gone for 100 yards in his last two games against the Chargers; only two other rushers have done it once since 2004.

SPECIAL TEAMS: B -- The coverage units were solid in keeping Dante Hall under wraps; he was slowed, too, by a sore hip. Nate Kaeding kicked two field goals, but he'll remember the 47-yarder he missed --- especially with the Chargers losing by three. Michael Turner had a 24-yard kick return; Antonio Cromartie had a long of 19. Eric Parker delivered a great third-quarter spark with his 50-yard punt return.

COACHING: C -- The Chargers looked unprepared early on, when the Chiefs blitzed more than they expected. The defense had trouble tackling all day, and it ended up costing them the game -- then there was Tony Gonzalez seemingly running free whenever the Chiefs needed a key catch. It wasn't that the team was flat, it just seemed they were playing catch-up to what the Chiefs were doing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    I think this article gives us a better coaching grade than I would have. Allow me to elaborate.

The first fumble, where LT dropped the ball. It looked to this viewer that the defenders shoulders touch out of bounds before his knees touched in bound. Therefore possession was NOT obtained prior to the defensive player being out of bounds. Our coach should have had the sack to throw the red hanky on this play. Appearances lead to the conclusion that our coach NEVER CONSIDERED challenging the play.

Again later in the game McCardell had a touchdown. He was reaching the ball into the endzone, on top of the defensive player. The defensive player then roled him over allowing KMAC to be called down on the one yard line AFTER THE BALL HAD BROKEN THE PLANE OF THE GOAL. That my friends is a touchdown, one that KMAC should have been rewarded with for his hard work. Again, no red flag from the coach. There is now a rule in the NFL that coaches may challenge a certain number of plays a game. This is called 'Instant Replay'. Perhaps San Diego fans should find a way to make their head coach aware that the red hanky in his pocket is indeed for this purpose, and not for wiping his nose.

Yet again the D allowed the final drive of the game to go in for 6. This is bothersome to this fan because this is becoming a signature of this team. We have lost too many games on the last drive. Why? I am glad you asked. Because Wadeball goes conservative in the final minutes of the game. No blitzes, no extra rush up front. Wade leaves it to the front three to beat the other teams front 4-6. Do the math folks, that is not good odds. When we are in this position, other QBs look great, Montanaesque if you will, leading their team on a go ahead scoring drive in the final seconds of the game, leaving our team with the need of a spectacular return to win or tie with a few ticks of the clock left.

To me this is inexcusable. To lose the same way in tight games to me is indication of a flaw in the coaching strategy. One I would expect the coaches themselves to see if this fan can. Why has Marty and Wade not been able to adjust their game to allow the Chargers to win the close games? I don’t know but it is causing me to have serious concerns about the coaching make up of the team. Outside of our LB and WR coaches, I find myself often questioning how well the Coaches has their players prepared for a game, or the game plan. I am sure this is just fan frustration coming out, but you have to wonder at the repeating issues we are seeing. Late game losses, the inability to get the running game going, etc...

I would give the coaching staff a D. The outstanding play of the LB and WR corps raise the grade considerably.

That is my opinion, do you have one?!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I ran out of opinions. :icon_shrug:

4. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66

I would rather have played aggressive on defense and given up a big play that to play prevent and lose by a field goal. at least with an aggressive defense there was the chance of a turnover or sack or AT LEAST A STOP!!!!!

watching the chiefs move the ball down the field was painful and embarassing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Agreed. Wadeball needs to get rabid in the 4th.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    this is one of those games I'm glad I missed

7. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Overall, a very good post, Mr. Conc !!!

There is no way our Running Offense deserves a "B". The bulk of LT's postive runs that raised his average in this game were in the 2nd half. It seems the Bolts got little or no push on the OL for most of the game.

Huh? The LB's continually gave up extra yards after contact on LJ all game. The LB's were short on their drops in pass coverage all game, leaving the middle zones wide open for KC's RB and Gonzo to exploit even into the last minute of the game. The tackling was horrible by the LB's and DB's all game, including the first play of KC's drive when LJ ran through the arms of 3 Bolt defenders (just ONE of them getting him down in-bounds would have required KC to burn a TO and might have resulted in overtime).

The WR's had many plays where they didn't come back for the ball and the play resulted in a sack. I believe it was the 2nd down on SD's last drive where the announcer labeled the play a "coverage sack" but from the replay overhead, you could clearly see that NONE of the WR's came back to help PR and get open when the pocket was collapsing. That same play - on replay - showed OL standing around instead of continuing and finishing blocks.

It's the "little things" .... just too many of them not done.

• Like Like x 5
  8. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    This is driving me crazy! I saw that 0-8 in games decided by 4 points or less stat and I wanted to puke. Why are we giving up all these last minute yards? Stop that stupid prevent crap. It's killing us! O, and what did KC do against us when we needed to drive? They threw the house at us and sacked Rivers twice!!!

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I give the team an "F" in passion and intensity. The reason the Chargers lost this game is because they came out lollygaggin' and handjobbin' each other. Instead of focusing from the first snap, they chose to believe their own hype. Bottom line is these guys need to show that they care about each other by DOING THEIR JOBS.

Like the DBs playin' grab *** with receivers who are blocking them. Cro, in particular, is drawing my ire lately. Too many times this kid lets receivers get to his body and take him out of a play. He acts like he's Deion Sanders or something. Come on Cro'... time to light someone up and chin slap 'em with that man meat you're packin'.
    You wanted my opinion... you got it. :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Cro is doing his job. He is not avoiding contact.

11. CCG

CCG Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +160
    I give Philip a D for the first quarter but an A for the rest of the game. The guy is obviously a winner and doesn't know anything about quitting or giving up. You could see how he was working the sidelines trying to get everyone pumped up and going. I think everyone will see as he carries us until the D gets squared away.

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Marty is 1-3 versus Herm since 2004. :unsure:

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I think Herm sends whores & coke to Marty's room the night before they play. A la Lawrence Taylor. :tup:

Instead of being tired from humpin' and snortin'... Marty is pooped from trying to remove said whores from his room all night. :tdown:

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    I dont know, maybe Marty was so deballed when leaving KC that he can no long play there and win?:icon_shrug:

Perhaps he has been Shammy-sized.

15. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I agree with you on your review. Wade Phillips is killing us with that last minute conservative defense. How many times do these coaches have to lose before they admit that their tactics don't work? It's utterly amazing how someone can be so stuborn and stupid. We should have been sending a wave of blitzing linemen in on the QB and give him a nano second to get the ball off. That would pretty much limit him to short, dinky passes which could be covered quickly. We gave him too much time to throw deeper passes.

Our coaching staff is our weakest link. But only at certain critical times. Sometimes, they look great, but then it only takes one bonehead call to ruin a whole game. I hope we don't have to sit through any more of these last second collapses by the defense. The players can only do what they're told to do.... blame that 33 second drive on Wade and Marty.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847

This is the final sign of Armegedon! The end days are upon us! Run for the hills! RUN!!!!!!!!

17. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I agree with some of the coaching mistakes. Another thing that has started to consistently bother me is some of our clock-management decisions. I'll be specific.

In situations where we get the ball with time getting short, we always seem to give the opposing team the ball back with too much time left on the clock. It wasn't just last week--this is something that has happened several times. I'll give an example. This was our last drive in the 4th quarter:

Code:
    1-10-SD47	(1:15) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass incomplete to E.Parker.
    PENALTY on SD-S.Olivea, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SD 47 - No Play.
    1-20-SD37	(1:10) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass to L.Tomlinson pushed ob at SD 45 for 8 yards (G.Wesley).
    2-12-SD45	(1:03) (Shotgun) P.Rivers sacked at SD 44 for -1 yards (J.Allen).
    3-13-SD44	(:52) (Shotgun) P.Rivers sacked at SD 43 for -1 yards (T.Hali).
    With the ball in our possession in the closing minute s and still with our timeouts remaining, why didn't we run the clock down to around 45 to 50 seconds before going into hurry-up mode? When you have 3 time outs, 45 seconds is all you need to move the ball into scoring position. Hell, the Chiefs moved it 50+ yards in 33 seconds with three timeouts, and their drive started at the 10. We were at our own 37 and playing like we have no time left and no timeouts. If we do that we might have been unsuccessful but instead of the Chiefs starting their last drive with 33 seconds to win the game, we might have given them 20 seconds thereby forcing overtime.

My point is that we should try to find the line between aggressively trying to score and considering what will happen when the opposing team gets their hands on the ball again.

We did the same at the end of the first half. We got the ball down to the Chiefs 30 on a first down and PR spiked the ball to stop the clock with 1:42 left! A minute forty-two! Now, I realize we had no time outs remaining, but we also were in all-pass mode, and incomplete passes stop the clock. And if we let the clock run down to about 1:15 and just run a play, we preserve the down and still have plenty of time to drive. But we lost the down and when we couldn't get yards on the next two plays we had to settle for the field goal try. Then, we gave KC the ball back with over a minute remaining in the half, and Herm mysteriously decided to just run the clock down! But they had plenty of time to try to drive if they wanted to!

Another example of us preserving too much of the clock was at the end of the first half against the Niners. We were driving to score the TD. We got to the Niners 25 with about 1:55 remaining and PR ran a hurry up on the next play! We could have run 25 more seconds off the clock. We got down to the Niners 2 yard line with 1:04 left in the half. Fortunately, it took us three tries to get into the end-zone, otherwise we realistically may have kicked the ball back to the Niners with around :50 left in the half and they might have had time to do something with it.

Our offense needs to understand that if you have timeouts, 30 seconds is FOREVER in the NFL. You can run 6 plays in 30 seconds. If you have no timeouts, 1:30 is still FOREVER in the NFL, because the clock stops with every incompletion and you only need 10 seconds to spike it. We need to not leave our opponents with scoring opportunities. If we have the ball in the opposition's red zone and multiple timeouts, we shouldn't run another play until there's less than 30 seconds on the clock. If we have the ball inside the opponent's 50, we need to get the game under 50 seconds. And even if we have no timeouts, it is not a bad idea to get the clock down to the 1 minute area before running your hurry-up offense. If nothing else, you make sure you're the last one to touch the ball with real time on the clock.

18. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Arrowhead is tough...but that doesnt mean we can turn the ball over 3 times in the first half. It isnt the coaching staffs fault, its the players...LT doesnt fumble, freak accident...it happens. i give the running team a B because of LT's recieving yards and touchdown on 4th and one. I hat the crappy last chance prevent defense that Wadeball is ruining us with. Jesus can someone put a stop to this and blitz. This is a horrible coaching strategy...

For Nate to have scored all the first half points, i rate the special teams an A+. He did however miss on FG from about 42 yrds out, that hurt, but it still isnt his fault we lost. Also doesnt hurt to mention that the defensive side of our special teams shut out Dante Hall all day long with him never returning the ball past the 25...and once they stopped him on the 10 yrd line.

LB's, come on...can we learn how to stop a big RB...i mean really, enough with the non-wrap up style tackles and the trying to strip the ball out of players hands...its not working...just tackle them...D+

CB's and Safties...Just getting burnt all day by the inside slant and the quick 5-7 yrd passes...what hurts the most of that game was the yards after the catch...Those WR's and especially Gonzalez were running downfield after the catches as if the chargers secondary was the Detroit Lions practice squad. It was sad. C-

Passing...Rivers showed composure and maturity..he is an excellent playcaller and a great motivator for our team. He is a great QB and his second half comback was amazing. A-

thats my opinion...but it doesnt hold any water