1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Report: Chargers, Dwight Freeney near deal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, May 18, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,378
    No worries, we still got the King. ;)

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    17s

D.J. Fluker will take abt $2m in cap space, so figure it's abt $4m Chargers have to go forward. Enough to fill some holes, maybe not LT.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    One thing I really like about this is, No matter how you look at it, Freeney is far and away the best edge rusher we have on this roster. This will be a true test for our O line and will give us a much better/needed perspective on what our situation will be

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    The Chargers could save $1.5 million against the salary cap by releasing Eddie Royal.
    Royal and Robert Meachem were signed to multi-year contracts last spring, and both were colossal busts in 2012. Royal seemed to always be battling a hamstring injury, and he finished the season with just 23 grabs for 234 yards and one touchdown in ten games played. The Chargers now have depth at the position, and the team could use some money to go get a free agent left tackle like Max Starks.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    I'm sure people laughed about the Colts competing anytime in the next two years

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I'm not so sure, it sounds to me given the comments McCoy made about Rivers completing maybe 70% of his passes this year that Royal is a FAR better fit for this offense than he was for Norvel's. Royal is a YAC guy, not a run down field and out leap the CB type guy, I could see him getting a lot of bubble screens, slants, drags etc...

I would expect McClain to be on the chopping block too, we save $1.4M by cutting him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    To be honest, a lot of people don't expect us to do anything, we were 7-9 last season with our terrible O line and poor 3rd down defense.

We go significantly better on offense and on defense. As long as no more major injuries occur and if Freeney goes into beast mode who's to say we can't sneak into the playoffs.

Freeney (even at this stage in his career) is by far the best rusher we've had since Merriman in his prime. Liuget, Butler, and Reyes play the same or improved off of last year, along with a healthy Mathews and Woodhead, better run game, quicker throws from Rivers, a full season of DX, a better secondary. I'm sure my optimistic radar is going off the charts right now but I think great things can happen.

Most importantly the players seem to all have bought in to what is happening, a lot different from last year where (call it what you want) but I honestly believe there was a lot of complacency in that locker room. Even though a lot of them didn't really want to admit it you can hear it from their interviews.

And if the AFC looks like how it did the past couple seasons its an open race for every team.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    I just wish it were Clary, GAAAAWD I hate that guy. (I'm sure some johnny do gooder is going to come in and give me a ton of flak) But I seriously cannot stand Clary as a player.

And I can't stand how everyone in that locker room roots for him to be good. It's like cheering for the crippled kid in the race, sure its a feel good story but I guarantee he won't be getting any endorsements from Nike anytime soon.

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    He's always had "guard feet", if he doesn't win the RG job out right I'd be surprised if we don't cut him anyway.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    You are also assuming that either of them even wanted to come back.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    I guess, I must be a "do gooder" then. ;)

I don't see how you can "hate" a guy who gives his all for the team. You might not like what he brings as a player, but to hate a guy simply for his limited athleticism is over the top IMHO.

I reserve "hate" for those players who screw the team over...... guys who don't give their best effort (or worse, no effort at all).

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Oh crap! I didn't realize he'd recently had a concussion!! :roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    I guess it's a lot better than

Dwight Freeney @ Dwightfreeney

Very excited to be part of the San Diego Chargers organization... lookin' forward to a mediocre season @rebuilding @ Chargers # Boltup

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Bubble screens. Gotta Luv Em.

18. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    The Sanders experiment was a longshot and everyone knew it. Sanders was a great player when healthy, but he was rarely ever healthy. He played in only 49 games of a potential 128 during an 8 year career. He might be the most injured player in NFL history, at least of those that lasted in the league that long. In the two years before he joined SD, Sanders played in a grand total of 3 games.

Freeney has missed a total of 13 games to injury in an 11 year career. He's been very durable. Sanders missed more than 13 games to injury in his one season in SD.

Freeney is older than Sanders was, but he does not have nearly the injury history of Sanders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    I don't know too many teams in the league that wouldn't be acting out of desperation if they lost their best pass rusher in OTAs.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Well, English's Job just got easier. I was kind of pulling for the weight to wake him up. OISDD!

21. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I think being a rotation player was his best bet anyway. Coming in for Jarret Johnson on 3rd downs this year, don't mind it at all, though he'll have competetion I believe in Tourek Williams and Thomas Keiser and a few UDFA's.

22. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I like this signing a lot, we might of over paid, but thats what happens when you have an immediate need. If they believed King Dunlap wasn't the answer at LOT or wasn't capable enough of playing LOT, I think they would of made the Max Starks signing before this one.

Dwight Freeney is another guy the opponent has to prepare for week in and week out. Love it. And if we can keep him til 2014, with Melvin Ingram coming back, big things could happen. I don't care how old the guy is, the talent will be there and the experience as well. I think this defense has a lot of potential.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Well, if our "best pass rusher" had all of 1 sack, we may've panicked a little late. :D

24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Yes...my original post specified "in their most recent seasons" and when someone
    appeared to have not noticed that, I followed up with a 2nd time:

"No, I'm not comparing their overall injury history...
    which is why I focused on most recent (and relevant, incidentally) season..."

Sanders and Freeney have had very, very different injury histories...my concern
    was that Freeney has had recent issues...and that, combined with age, worry me.

25. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    I think the Chargers could be a serious contenders in 2014. With Freeney and a healthy Ingram; you combined that with Butler/Te'o and our already amazing dline that includes Reyes/Liuget, we'll have one of the best front 7's in the NFL(we kinda already do) if not THE best in the entire league. I have real faith in that Te'o will be a big play maker for us.

The only problem for 2013 is we have this amazing front 7 combined with one of the worst secondaries. Thats why I'm really hoping we can solve this LT problem some other way than the draft, and draft a top rated CB to bolster the secondary even more. If we can have a very solid draft in 2014, we could be serious contenders in 2014. I believe will do have a real good chance to make the wild card round this year; better chance than last year.

I fully admit a lot of this depends on how our first 3 draft picks from this year pan out. If the three of them have decent to very promising rookie seasons, you can expect real good things going into 2014.

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Their most recent seasons? Seriously, that does not make your post any more accurate. Freeney has missed two games to injury the last three seasons. In the three seasons before we signed Sanders, he missed 39 of a possible 48 games to injury. The only thing the two situations have in common is that they are both veteran players coming from the Colts. Other than that, you're way off base.

I understand the concern about signing a veteran player past the prime of his career. There's always the risk that his play will suddenly drop off a cliff. But Freeney's injury history is not something that should concern you. He played through a high ankle sprain last year, but he has been an incredibly durable player during his career.

27. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,860
    I'm not "glass half full" so much as I'm just "wait and see".

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but I really don't see any similarities in the two signings other than that they were both former Colts.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,860
    Unless you're trying to ask why clothing is always acting out of desperation I find it hard to attribute such an adverb (always) to the actions of a regime in their first year on the job.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Surely, you're not that slow on the uptake. ;)

It was a reference to the lousy luck the Chargers have had with injuries...... or hadn't you noticed?

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,860
    Then there's this.

Many sports fans constantly fall into the trap of thinking that just because a player signed for X to play for one team that it means he would have been willing to sign for X for their favorite team had their GM only offered it.