1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Report: Chargers owner suffering from Dementia

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Alex Spanos Article

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Best wishes Alex.

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    This could get interesting

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ditto. :icon_sad:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Very sad story, prayers to the entire Spanos family

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    may he live out his life pain free, may he live out the rest of his life being strong. Alex there are a lot of people praying for you that your final days on gods earth be filled with joy and happiness!

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    No bueno :( thoughts and prayers to the Spanos family.

8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    My grandma is about that age and going through the same thing. I took her out to dinner a few months back and it just sucked. She kept asking me the same questions, and I had to keep pretending to answer them for the first time. A ****** way for a great lady to end her days.

I haven't always been thrilled with Alex Spanos, but I don't wish this on him, or anybody else.

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    ditto.
    I got to meet him in an elevator at the murph when I was doing something there back in 92. was very gracious.

10. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Bolts owner suffers from dementia

STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) -- Billionaire developer and San Diego Chargers owner Alex Spanos has announced in a letter that he suffers from dementia.

The 85-year-old Stockton resident was in the owner's box for the Chargers' division-clinching win over the Denver Broncos on Sunday, but family members wanted to tell the public that his infrequent appearances lately have been because of his declining health.

Spanos wrote in a letter published in the San Diego Union Tribune that his memory is fading, but that physically he feels strong.

Spanos was one of the largest contributors to the 2004 campaign of George W. Bush, who then appointed him to the Kennedy Center Board. Spanos bought an interest in the Chargers in 1980 and acquired the team outright in 1984.

11. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133

This is just awful news. It's hard to say but Mr. Spanos is starting his downward spiral. Thanks for keeping the team in SD and believing in the people and fans of the Chargers. Also thanks for all the community service you provided.

Keep fighting and I really wish to God that you get to see your team win that title.
    :bolt::bolt: