1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Report: Chargers will sign Tra Thomas

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jun 9, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Report: Chargers will sign Tra Thomas

Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2010 1:48 PM ET
    With the prospect of a holdout by starting left tackle Marcus McNeill looking more likely with every passing day, the Chargers are reportedly ready to cover their (and Philip Rivers's) rear ends.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the team will sign veteran offensive tackle Tra Thomas on Wednesday. Thomas, who will turn 36 in November, spent last season with the Jaguars, where he started three games while mostly serving as a backup for rookies Eben Britton and Eugene Monroe. The Jaguars released him in February.

It was Thomas's only season in Jacksonville, who he joined after spending 11 seasons with the Eagles. Thomas started 165 of the 166 games he played while with Philadelphia, making three Pro Bowls in the process.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/09/report-chargers-will-sign-tra-thomas/

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,409
    McNeil's holdout could be a blessing in disguise as long as they eventually get him signed.

Get McNeil signed after signing Tra and suddenly we have good depth. (assuming Father Time hasn't taken too much of a toll on Tra yet)

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This is not good.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    AJ fires a shot across Big Mac's bow

:icon_banana:

5. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    In AJ we trust...however, if he decides not to offer a new contract and the players hold out for 4-5 games and we don't make it to the playoffs...I will NOT be blaming the players!!

After all...they deserve new contracts...plain and simple!

Its your A$S AJ!!!:yes:

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    what about that dude the Jets released?

Faneca?

7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I think the club is just being prudent.

NOBODY knows what the landscape of the league will be like after the CBA gets ironed out. Why lock yourself into a set of circumstances now if you don't have to?

8. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    f'n norv...

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I don't think we want to go into the season and godforbid the playoffs with Tra Thomas at LT

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok... Why? A veteran Left Tackle who last season while not the best he has been was no slouch either? What is the problem?

Do you want to go with a rookie?

VJ and McNeil are looking at a lot of money. The CBA screwed them, ok, I get that but the Chargers did not. They want long term contracts, holding out is not the way to get them from the Chargers or AJ...

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Because he's been playing for 11 years, has shown a noticeable decrease in his foot speed and his strength over the last two years. He's definitely getting into the "old and creaky" stage as a tackle. I think he's a better option then Dombrowski there currently but Thomas is a large drop off from McNeil's ability.

12. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    I say the chargers should look at this logically...

Who is more important to the Offence? Jackson or McNeil?

I say its Mcneill in a heartbeat! Plus he has been nothing but a pro in his time here and he is a great lockerroom presence...bite the bullet and pay him!

Jackson is slightly different in that his position although important, is not as vital to the Chargers overall...also he has been less than a model proffessional with small misdemenours. Because of these I can understand not wanted to committ a large contract in uncertain times. Let him sit and think about his DUI's.

In Short...SIGN MCNEILL...LET JACKSON SIT

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's staring to look a lot like 2012 from my perspective.:tdown:

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Clearly this is a CYA move. And once again SD front office finds a gem that has been already dubbed done by onlookers b/c Philly released him and he got 3 games time in JAX as a backup.

Good move, but it does piss me off that this is the opposite of what I wanted to hear come June 15th about M Mac. :/

Frickin sign up Mac and i dont care what happens to VJ. Im a LEGS guy anyway.

15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Actualy as long as VJ doesnt go to NE or DEN im pretty good with watching his career outside of SD or in.

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Looks like jackson and mcneil have told the chargers they will hold out. Got this off the union tribune website.

These two can't be that smart. Giving up 3 million + dollars for possibly not making any money for a year or two.

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Seems to me that the Chargers could have sweetened this years offer and gotten them both into camp. Both sides need to give some here. These players are painting themselves into a corner and VJ will be in a world of hurt without a contract this year and a lockout next. If I were his agent, I might have negotiated a contingent contract with CFL.

18. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    This is just a warning shot to McNeil.

19. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    The Chargers Front office are always telling us that they are doing whatever is in the best interests of THE TEAM!

Please explain how fueling a situation where we have two key players sitting out waiting for contracts is in the best interests of the team???

This whole situation is over money, and at the end of the day the Chargers need to think about what a superbowl is worth to them. Cos we aint making it to the superbowl with both these players out for an extended period!

So come on AJ...what is a superbowl really worth to you and the other Charger execs?

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I really think both players are getting shafted by their agents. This makes no sense for them to hold out.

3+ million dollars thier pizzing away this year. Geez. MOrons. And like you said. I'm guessing there will be a lockout/strike next year which means they don't get paid another year. How dumb can you be.

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    To be fair we don't know what they're asking for. Hell, Pierre Thomas apparently wants Steven Jackson type money.

Vjack and McNeil could be asking for a ransom in the hopes that the salary cap won't return.

22. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    ...and while I personally believe that its unfair of them to ask for unreasonable amount of money, what does it say about the Chargers Org that they would rather fight for the extra savings and risk missing the playoffs as a result!

I just hope that both partys will sort something out soon as!!!

I pray that the Chargers Org are working like mad to reach some common ground and not just sitting back playing hardball...

..the signing of Tra Thomas doesn't bode well for that!!

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,409
    When did Norv get promoted to GM?

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,409
    Assuming they are, indeed, asking for an unreasonable amount of money it just says the Chargers org doesn't want to pay an unreasonable amount of money. :icon_shrug:

It's not like they can say no to their demands and force them to sign something reasonable instead.

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551

With the salary cap VJack is worth probably around 6-8 mil a year (including bonuses), without a cap he'll ask for more because the Chargers are allowed to spend more. What you don't want is to end up paying a guy like Vjack $10+mil a year, and then have the cap come back next year and have to send him packing anyway.

Its probably the same reason Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Darrelle Revis don't have long term deals yet.

26. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    The Chargers signed the CBA.......:yes:

27. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    And 3.5 million for one year isn't acceptable? Oh, those poor athletes.....

I, for one, am glad that there is at least ONE GM in this league that has some stones. Because of the Snyders of the league, these guys think they're really worth more than 3 mil a year? That's why the league needs to put some clamps on these dumb *** owners who blow everything up by signing one mid-level free agent to some ridiculous contract.

Let them go. Trade them. Get their greedy, disruptive butts outta here. We're pushing for a super bowl and these guys are whining over $3 million? Get people in here that want to win first and foremost.

28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Sounds alot like the signing of Roman Oben a few yrs back. Who knows Tra might have something left. We┬┤ll certainly need something, no way can I contemplate Big Dom at LT, no offence to him neither he will be a good player but not right now.

29. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :tup:

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Its not if other players producing like VJack are making 2 and 3 times that. Jackson has been making a pittance by NFL standards for his production the last 2 years, and if I were him I'd want to cash in while I was healthy. Look at Leon Washington the guy was a MONSTER last year, he wanted (and deserved) a new deal, then he broke his leg....now he's worth jack ****. If VJack gets hurt badly this year it could cost him tens of millions of dollars.

McNeil, if all he wants 7 or 8 mil a year there is no reason he shouldn't be in camp right now, AJ can't believe he's going to get him for less than that. But I have a feeling he's going to try to exploit the 1yr cap layoff too.