1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Report: Cromartie could soon be a Lion

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Report: Cromartie could soon be a Lion

Posted by Mike Florio on February 28, 2010 4:09 PM ET
    Cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who has fallen out of favor in San Diego due to a stew of reasons that likely includes an alarming lack of tackling effort during the AFC playoffs, has been on the trading block for a while.

And he apparently will soon be off the block -- because he apparently will soon be traded.

According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Cromartie "could be" a Lion in the near future. There are no details regarding the compensation that Chargers would receive.

Trades officially can be made as of the first day of the league year, which this year is March 5. But teams can loosely agree to terms before March 5, with the deal consummated at some point after the clock strikes 12.

As Acee points out, regardless of whether Cromartie becomes a Lion, Cromartie "has almost certainly" played his last game with San Diego.

Meanwhile, feel free to start making the Wizard of Oz references. Bonus points are available if you can tie them together with the whole Travis Henry thing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    maybe we get their overall #2 pick?

3. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    are you kidding? I think we'll get their 2nd round pick

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers, Lions discussing trade to send Cromartie to Detroit

By Jason La Canfora | NFL.com

The Detroit Lions have been in discussions with the Chargers about acquiring CB Antonio Cromartie in a trade, according to a league source.

The Chargers have been shopping Cromartie, who starred for them a few seasons back but has fallen out of favor. There was little interest around the league, but the Lions are intrigued and have been in contact with the Chargers.

The former Pro Bowl cornerback told SIRIUS NFL Radio hosts Bryan McGovern and Jim Miller on Monday that he wasn't thrilled with the way that the Chargers play defense and it could be time for a change.

"It may be time to move on," Cromartie said. "I have complained to the coaches about certain stuff, about the way we play, and they know that. But if it's time to part ways and that's in the Lord's will, then that's what's got to happen. But I would love to continue to finish out either my contract or my career in San Diego."

Cromartie, a first-round draft pick by the Chargers in 2006, posted an NFL-high 10 interceptions in 2007, but he has just five since.

If traded, Cromartie would join running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who was released Monday, in leaving San Diego. The Chargers also plan to let Darren Sproles test free agency.

"I think they're going to make moves this year, especially for guys that are going to be expecting big contracts and things like that coming up," Cromartie said. "If that's what they want to do, especially with the trade rumors that I'm hearing, that's part of the business, that's how it goes. If I'm there next year, I'm going to play to the best of my ability. If I'm not, I got to play somewhere else and help that organization out the best way I can."

No trades can become official until the start of the league year, March 5.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816a717c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

5. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    The cowardly lion. Scared of contact

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'll take it! :yes:

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Too bad Matt Millen isn't still there, then I'd think it'd be possible.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    I don't think they give up their #2, that would be a gift.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We will only get their 2nd round pick, if we give them ours and Cro

10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Their 3rd is almost a 2nd.

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Could their RB Kevin Smith be involved in this? :icon_shrug:

12. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    That won't happen.

But I don't think their second rounder will happen at all. I wouldn't want to trade Cromartie just to move up in the draft.

Considering how high their picks are, their 3rd rounder would practically be a second and I would be fine with that. We would then have 3 picks in the top 66 spots.

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    i'm praying for a 2nd rounder. But we probably won't get that.

I"m having to guess loosing cro we'll then draft cb kyle wilson. Thats why i'm praying for the early 2nd rounder so we can then get rb matthews who I think is probably the guy were looking at now. But you never know. Just got to keep our fingers crossed.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    The Lions 2nd rounder would be right in the ballpark of what I believe he's worth. A 3rd rounder is just too low for a guy whose proven he can play at this level and still has upside, and if we asked for it you better believe we'd get offers from all 31 other teams.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There is no way in hell we get anything in the 2nd, especially not early in the 2nd. You can think he has that value all you want, no one in the NFL does.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Sure, a 25yr old CB with a ten INT season and a Pro Bowl under his belt would never sniff 2nd round value because he's a bad tackler...:lol:

Want to put boltcash on it?:icon_shrug: I'm down for a friendly bet. All B-cash + positive rep if we get a 2nd or a 3rd plus a player.

17. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    No thanks....

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Not because he is a bad tackler, but because he doesn't even try to tackle, he quits on plays and gets burnt more often than not. Plus he only has one year remaining on his contract, which reduces his value, and with a possible lock out next year, odds are no team is going to want to pay him a ton to resign then sit out all year next year

19. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Cro for a 3rd rounder is all we could really get. We are not the only ones who watch his poor play. Other teams do also when they scout us.

I'll take a 3rd rounder for him.

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    There are ways to work a contract around a lockout. You undervalue the importance of a good cover corner, not every team will care about his tackling...the Lions are a great fit.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    But he isn't a good cover corner, unless you consider allowing your guy to catch the ball, then letting the safety come over to make the tackle, as a good cover corner.

22. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    The FA and possible trade list for good corners this year is not very big. Teams may be willing to part with bigger packages to get what they want and over pay.

My guess is we trade Cromartie for a RB and focus on NT/CB in the first 2 rounds and pick up a RB later since AJ has had success drafting RB's in later rounds....

23. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Wait? That's not what a good cover corner is? Wow cro had me fooled all these years.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He looked like a good one 3 years ago, but looked horrible in 08 and 09.

25. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Cro is a good downfield cover corner and a average short field cover corner....

His knock is tackling.

I am really worried about our CB situation this year. I just have not seen enough good from Cason when he has been in to think he is the answer.

Now surely I understand that he hasn't had a chance to really play, and that not being able to get in a good flow would be part of it as well.

However, when they bring him in while in nickle situations teams tend to go right after him and succeed more times than not. I still believe he can be a good corner I just need to see him show a bit of improvement this year.

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    wow - First LT because the coach said he would entertain all options, now Cro.

And not a word from this side of the country

:icon_huh:

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    HUH?

28. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
  29. szarmes