1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Report: LB Bart Scott won't be back with Jets

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by allendas, Jan 1, 2012.

1. allendas

allendas Bolts 2013!!!

Ratings:
    +6
    A source close to the situation told Rod Boone of Newsday that linebacker Bart Scott has likely played his final game for the Jets on Sunday.
    Scott took a pay cut in training camp and hasn't been on the field as much this season as he was in his first two years with the Jets, giving way to Josh Mauga in certain situations. Scott was the first free agent Rex Ryan targeted when he took over in 2009, bringing him to the Jets from the Ravens. But now it looks as if Scott's days with the Jets are over.

Link

This i think would be a good start too rebuilding our D

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Yes it would but, we do have Spikes and Butler, Scott will be 32 entering next preseason and I think depending what we do with our Cap, which will be relatively very tight this off season, I think we should address bigger needs..

the last year or so, and especially this year he hasn't been on the field much, he's looking for a 3-4 year contract making a minimum 20 million throughout that stretch..

But he did sign a 6 year deal in 2009, so are they gonna cut him or trade him?

That whole Jets team is falling apart, Sanchez **** the bed, Schotty did as well at OC, Rex didn't walk the talk, Santonio Holmes is a punk and shouldn't ever be a captain, LT spoke out against his actions today, Cromartie pretty much insulted that whole offense, I wish they had a video of the flight home LOL.. and now Scott wants out..

3. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    But also we have Mouton, and we have Cooper and Diggs as free agents in that position.. so.. should be interesting what we do I expect us to move Mouton to 3rd in the depth chart and draft a young promising ILB..

But this matter with what coach we bring in, whether he runs the 4-3 or 3-4.. Scott would be a hell of a pick up for the 4-3.. not the 3-4 though..

4. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Cooper is done and Diggs is a "Rent-a-Vet"...and we really don't know what we have in Mouton. They can fight it out with any drafted LB's, free agent LB's and any undrafted LB's we sign when they get to training camp. With all of our needs, I don't know if we could even afford what Scott will be looking for.
    Personally, I believe it would be easier to find available talent for a 4-3 scheme...particularly at the DT and DE positions. We will just have to wait and see which way Manusky's replacement wants to go.

5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    we certainly have talent for the 4-3.. Liuget played UT in college, Thomas/Martin can play at the other tackle position, and Phillips, who also played the 4-3 in college will be on the the right side of that DL with God knows who on the other..

Garay won't be here if we do run the 4-3 though, thats the only thing, so it will be tough.. we can run both very effectively..

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Scott fell off a cliff in terms of performance and his physicality is diminishing terribly - not to mention that he was never a top player, he was just a guy with an above average skill-set who knew Rex's scheme well and had the benefit of playing alongside one of the best ILB's of this generation in Ray Lewis and another guy who is criminally underrated in David Harris for what was pretty much the entirety of his career... or at least the significant parts. He's now more bark than bite. Not a terrible stopgap, but not one I'd look to unless A) Spikes elects to retire, B) Mouton shows up in the preseason performing like the second coming of Bobby Carpenter, or C) Butler gets injured again.

And cheapseats... it might be easier finding most of the components of a 4-3 defense, but it's monumentally harder to find the biggest key component of a 4-3 defense, that being a franchise-caliber RDE. There are fewer and fewer of them coming out of college these days - the position itself has one of the highest bust rates for 1st round picks while simultaneously being one of the most expensive (round-value wise) positions to try and acquire. Weakside pass-rushers that can start out of a 3-point stance or line up over a tackle and consistently defeat these taller, more athletic, longer-limbed pro-level LOT's are the second most valued draft commodity, second only to franchise QB's.

7. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378

Ummm, don't think you'll have to worry about those 2 in the least.

I doubt we could bundle those 2 hacks and get a half eaten Jelly donut in exchange.

If we could though, I'd take it.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    **** Scott. He & Fat Rex can go take their hot air to the balloon business.