1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Report: Merriman to drop appeal, serve four-game ban

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 31, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2644175

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Looks like Merriman has about ninety minutes to make up his mind. It's a no-brainer. Shawne, drop the appeal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Agreed!!! :tup:

You would think we would miss him the least during the rowns game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    With the info we have NOW, it looks like a no brainer that he'll drop the appeal today.... If he proceeds with this, I'll be convinced there is info that leads he and his legal team to believe that he can win this appeal. That said, it still would be a balsy move..as the team will suffer without him more if he loses the appeal and serves his suspension later in the year.

I think Shawne would only proceed with the appeal if he had convincing evidence that had a good chance of reversing the suspension.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  6. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    And Denver at home :icon_eek:

8. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    If i was Shawne, i'd drop the Appeal because then he will not miss both Denver Games and He'll be back to tackle the Elements at Buffalo in December. Only a few Weeks ago, Buffalo had a massive snow storm which left 200,000 people without power and 2ft of snow had fallen

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Damn! I wanted to see him play this weekend, but it is much better for the team if he is back for Buffalo to shake off the rust before @home vs the mules.

10. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    No surprise here. I doubt he'd have won on appeal. Seems he was hung out to dry by the press and the league. So much for "confidentiality." Pretty sad when you learn from ESPN rather than the league office. He'll be ready for the Donkeys at the Murph.:bolt:

11. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Shawne might kill somebody when he gets back. Seriously. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  12. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    The weather should not be too bad for that game - it will be just chilly. It usually snows more often towards the end of December. That was just a very freakish storm, which has to be one of the earliest, not to mention heaviest, snowfalls to my recollection. Plus I could not surf the internet at home for over a week. :icon_evil:

Yeah, our QBs because our O line is terrible. Remember the game last year in SD? Nothing has changed since. Elements or not, Chargers will win easily based on talent.

13. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I'll miss that crazy funny little happy dance he does after a good play....I might go to the Dec. 17 home game so at least he'll be back by then...hope being without him doesn't hurt us too much.

14. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    You should go. Make sure to stop by the bolttalk.com tailgate party if you make it to the game.

16. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

I will....:icon_wink:

17. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

He might! You saw how he played his last game...knowing he was going out for four...

18. bakerbob

bakerbob BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    All I know is he needs to step up when he gets back (like he did against STL) because he's let his team down.

19. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

He made a mistake. He knows it. I don't know if he will make a statement or not but he deserves a second chance. He's very young. I don't buy the "supplement" defense...but I think he should just learn from it and put it behind him...I think he is at heart a good guy...and he knows he let the team down.

Being young and under that kind of extreme pressure to perform and live up to that "Lights Out" image can cause one to take a unfortunate misstep. As long as he is on the straight and narrow from this point on, I support him.

20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Some "fans" are gonna boo him first.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Actually I think the supplement company let shawne down.

I just have this thought that theres alot more to this than we know. Nothing seems to fit. There is no way merriman would take a steriod to ruin his life. And one that is so easily found. Plus that he's been tested before and nothing. Something is just not right here.

To me it really sounds like someone planted the steriod into something merriman eats to get him in trouble. Considering he's such a difference maker I can almost see it from some opponent.

22. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    That's not something I'm going to like to see....

It's not like he's in trouble all the time or has a bad attitude...I can allow someone who is generally decent to make a mistake like this, recover from it, and move on.

23. bakerbob

bakerbob BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I guess its possible. But with two positive tests, its on him to prove that he didnt do this to himself. How does one do that? I agree it doesn't make sense that he'd do anything to tarnish his name.

For the record: I'm with you Foobs, I believe games are won/lost in the trenches (i'm a longtime UT lurker and you appear to be from the same school of thought) and my opinion is we still need more beef on the O-Line.

• Like Like x 1
  24. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

It will be very difficult for him to "prove" he didn't take the nandrolone after testing positive. It was in his system. Maybe it is a freak situation where he did ingest something tainted unintentionally but doubtful imo.

No one knows what goes on in the mind of another person...and the kind of pressure these young athletes are under is unimaginable.

• Like Like x 1
  25. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

He's not saying he didn't do it. He's saying he didn't knowingly ingest the steroid. It was present in an OTC supplement that was supposed to be clean of the drug. However, the USOC conducted a test a few years ago and showed that as many as 1/5 of OTC supplements contained enough amounts of steroids and banned substances to trigger positive test results, and they weren't listed on the label nor any warnings given about their quality.

Instead of taking an NFL-approved (and guaranteed banned substance free) supplement, Merriman used an OTC one and got zinged by its impurity. It's not like he was buying the steroid directly and popping pills or injecting himself.

I would think that once the OTC supplement is shown to be impure in this fashion, even though the suspension will be upheld ("You are responsible for what you put in your body"), he would have a good case for a civil lawsuit against the supplement manufacturer for the 4 weeks of lost wages and punitive damages.

26. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I hope that's what happened...we may never hear all the facts...I just want Shawne to hurry up and serve his suspension and come back better than ever! :bolt:

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061101-9999-1s1chargers.html

Merriman drops suspension appeal

Beginning ban now avoids risk of missing both Denver games
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    November 1, 2006

Shawne Merriman had been leaning toward this decision for some time, weighing the likelihood he could win a reversal of his suspension versus the desire to clear his name along with the question of what would be best for his team.
    In the end, the Chargers linebacker decided to drop the appeal of his four-game suspension for a positive test for steroids because he knew he had little chance of winning. The NFL has what is essentially a zero-tolerance policy on banned substances, clearly stating a player is responsible for what he puts in his body.

“Based on the policy,” Merriman said yesterday, “it didn't matter how it got in my system.”

He will address teammates early this morning and then not be allowed on team property during his suspension.

A Pro Bowler and NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2005 and tied for the NFL lead in sacks with 8½ this season, Merriman will not play Sunday against Cleveland. He will also miss games Nov. 12 at Cincinnati, Nov. 19 at Denver and Nov. 26 against Oakland. He will rejoin the team for practice Nov. 27. His first game back will be Dec. 3 at Buffalo.

Merriman said he tested positive for the steroid nandrolone on Aug. 2 and found out about the test the first week of September. He said he has had three clean tests since then.

He maintains the positive test was the result of a tainted over-the-counter-supplement. He would not identify the supplement.

“It's another speed bump,” he said. “My whole life has been made of speed bumps. People have always told me if you want to be great at something you're going to have to endure more than anybody else.”

Merriman, 22, has already established himself as one of the game's best defenders. And he has goals that exceed anything ever done by a linebacker.

“It really digs deep inside,” he said of the suspension. “It really hurts. This is what I love to do. This is a part of me. This will be the first time I've missed any game in any sport in my whole life – ever. It really saddens me. But it's like taking a bucket of gas and pouring it on a fire.

“I want to help the team go as far as possible. I really think we're capable of making a run to the Super Bowl. Personally, I will continue to be the best, most dominant player on my side of the ball, and keep working toward being the best to ever play.”

He said he is not embarrassed by his positive test and resulting suspension.

“I was more saddened that I was another distraction to the team,” he said. “With all that was already going on, I just added onto that.”

The Chargers have been jolted – just since the start of September – by off-field incidents. First came the shooting of linebacker Steve Foley and then the arrest of safety Terrence Kiel on charges involving the trafficking of prescription codeine.

Chargers officials declined comment on Merriman yesterday. The team did issue a statement:

“We're proud of the stand-up way Shawne has taken responsibility for the mistake he made. We have faith in Shawne Merriman and we have faith in the players on this team. The Chargers have been resilient all season long, and we will continue to be resilient. It's a tough lesson learned for Shawne about the world of supplements. The entire Chargers family will welcome Shawne back when he returns to the team on November 27.”............click on link for more

28. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    :tup:

Shawne has handled this as well as anyone could have expected, even though this is a blemish he still comes out of it a first rate guy.

29. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Word..........................:tup:

I believe my son and so should you......................:yes:

56 :bolt:

30. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Hey, Queen of High Drama, his life is not ruined. He's suspended for four games. Then, he'll be back and his suspension will be a footnote. Just like it is for Julius Peppers.

Your paranoia is truly reaching new heights. Not too sound like a TV lawyer, but who would have motive, means and opportunity to deliberately spike Merriman's supplements with steroids. Anybody close to him is probably living pretty well thanks to Shawne's success. You think Shanarat is behind it? Or maybe it was a high ranking military offical or the Klu Klux Klan or anal probing extraterrestrials.