1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Report: Vick was at dog fight in 2000

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 28, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was at a dog fight in 2000 and is "one of the heavyweights" in the sport, broadcast reports indicate.

An ESPN report Sunday cited a police informant whom a dog-fighting investigator called "extremely reliable."

"That's who bets a large dollar," the informant told the network. "And they have the money to bet large money. As I'm talking about large money, 30 to 40 thousand, even higher. He's one of the heavyweights."

When asked how he knows Vick bets that amount, the informant said, "because I've seen it."

Full Article

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How long untilthe new Commish has Vick planted under Giants Stadium next to Hoffa?

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    that's one piece of evidence, they need more and in 2000 Vick wasn't in hte NFL. Have to prove he was at one and had dogs in it during his NFL career

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    At the very least, the NFL commish can use this piece of info to establish a history and a pattern of conduct of the player.

After all, he just put in place a policy where NFL teams must now examine the history of conduct of possible draft choices, which means stuff they did while in college or high school. Stuff like this.

Thus, later misconduct can't be blamed on a "we didn't know" argument from a team. THe commish will dock them accordingly.

By the way, if Vick was indeed betting tens of thousands of dollars at this point in time, where the hell did he get all that money in the first place? He was in college, with no actual job. Where did that money come from again?

5. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Nothing will happen to him this season. If he gets suspended it won't be until well after the season's over.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    At the pace the investigation is going, it won't be until January 2008 that they actually charge him with anything anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  7. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    The Vick's fans are in denial right now, from claiming the informat being unreliable to whatever reasons there could be. In a way just feel sorry for the Falcons, but a great PR for the media.

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I am sure glad we passed on that POS, and we selected LT instead!

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    They dont want John Madden after them.

10. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    In 2000, Vick was still in school. He had 30-40 grands to bet on dogs?

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    thAt alone will cause an NCAA investigation at a time when that school really doesn't need anything else ot happen to them

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    how messed up IS our society!!

:icon_sad:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If he owned the dogs back then, this story has some real legs because it means he's in it up to his nose. It also means, I think, If he was making money off the dog pits, that the NCAA might not have a case for illegal support. The money would be his own, if I understand the byzantine rules correctly. Either way, Vick is hip deep in alligators, either for illegal dogfighting, tax evasion and felony cruelty to animals, or the school is really in trouble with the NCAA. They might be anyway, if some of his team mates knew and were privy to the matches and attended. The claim by the informant that Vick could throw that kind of money around is fishy. A guy with Vick's profile, with that kind of wallkin' around money and with his lack of restraint and common sense would have had trouble hiding the Daddy Warbucks life style. The tells would be hard to miss. Somebody would most likely have ratted him out. This puts his brother's problems in a different perspective, too. Was he involved as well, in addition to his other transgressions?

:icon_eek:

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Well put... this whole thing really is quite a catastrophe for the NFL and the Vick family. When news about this first started to come out I really thought the media was just looking for anything to make Vick look bad. I'm not trying to defend flipping off the crowd or anything, but I think, despite his history of bad behavior, I was really still trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. But the more news and info that actually comes out the worse of a picure it seems to paint. I really thought maybe Mike was a decent guy who just made some poor decisions from time to time... with all the BS I'm thinking he's probably a total POS.