1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Residents seem supportive, but want further study of plan

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Nov 16, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071116-9999-1m16cvmeet.html

By Ronald W. Powell

CHULA VISTA – Curious residents went to school last night to learn more about a proposed $1 billion Chargers stadium development for their city.

Judging from their questions at a town hall meeting at Corky McMillin Elementary, many believe the idea deserves more study.

The two sites being considered in Chula Vista are a 500-acre, vacant, mostly privately owned parcel on the city's east side, and the 139-acre power plant property owned by the San Diego Unified Port District.

But questions remain, including:

Can the Chargers' plan to privately finance the stadium be accomplished?

Can residents and fans travel smoothly if a stadium is built on the city's already traffic-choked east side?

If the Chargers and the city choose the bayfront site of the current South Bay Power Plant, can the facility be dismantled and its grounds cleaned of contamination in a timely way without breaking the stadium budget?

Chargers general counsel Mark Fabiani told the audience of more than 100 that those and other questions would be answered as the team focuses on the South Bay city.

A solid majority of the audience said they favored a Chargers stadium. Most supported the power plant site because of its ease of access by way of Interstate 5 and the trolley.

“What can we do to help keep the Chargers in Chula Vista or some other place in the county?” asked Marilyn Phillips, an east-side resident and season-ticket holder who said she is proud when San Diego views are aired during games.

But west-side resident Dario Sarcoz said he is against building a stadium in his city. “I don't want it anywhere in Chula Vista. It's too big a project for a small community.”

Chargers executives want to select a location by the end of the year, then work with the City Council on a stadium agreement that might be placed on the November 2008 ballot. Fabiani said an agreement – even if it is not ready next November – would go to a binding public vote.

With Oceanside pulling out of consideration Oct. 3 as a stadium site, the Chargers are down to Chula Vista, the county's second-largest city. A second town hall meeting is scheduled for Nov. 28 at the Chula Vista Library, 365 F St.

A group of San Diego businessmen say Qualcomm Stadium's central location and its 40-year status as the Chargers' home turf make it the preferred site, but team officials say they do not believe a deal can be worked out there.

Team executives say they have not looked outside the county for a stadium site, although their contract with the city of San Diego permits it. The Chargers are under contract to play at city-owned Qualcomm Stadium through the 2019 season.

While Chula Vista residents and city officials are considering the stadium idea, the city is grappling with an $8.2 million deficit in the current $299 million budget. The council is scheduled to decide how to trim the budget Dec. 4.

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Notes from someone who attended the meeting.

This is a direct quote from someone who actually was AT the Chargers Town Hall Meeting...

"I attended the Chargers town hall meeting this evening in Chula Vista and from the sounds of it, they are moving forward with either of the 2 sites in the Southbay.

Overview of meeting:

- Chargers would pay for everything through private investors including the building of the stadium itself and all the infrastructure. The price tag Fabiani was throwing around was $1 Billion +!!!

- Fabiani stated that the intentions of the Chargers is to build a world class facility in San Diego to stay in San Diego. Says they have and will continue to turn down other cities that attempt to move the team.

- As part of the development, the Chargers and CV would try and work with the NFL on getting the Super Bowl every 5 years.

- Question came up on whether there was a plan B should the 2 sites fail and Fabiani's response was that this was pretty much the last ditch efforts of building a stadium in the County of San Diego.

- CV was represented by Councilman John McCann. He indicated that if a stadium would be successfully voted upon, CV and the Chargers would like to keep the "San Diego Chargers" branding. McCann said CV in no way would like to be known as the "San Diego Chargers of Chula Vista" poking fun at the Angels. He said that just the name recognition of "Live from Chula Vista" during games would be tremendous to the growth of the city.

- An individual from the Holiday Bowl committee was there to voice his and his groups approval to move forward with a stadium in either sites."

"- The City of Chula Vista has not spent a single dime in any of the studies conducted to determine if Chula Vista was a viable location for a stadium. The Chargers to date has forked out all the money, including the $200K paid to the consulting group conducting the study and any hours spent for Chula Vista city employees to work on any Chargers related issue.

- CV and the Chargers along with suggestions from the citizens of Chula Vista would like to decide on a site by the end of the year and put the measure before a vote in the November 2008 election.

- There was an older gentleman there that stated, "I just don't trust the Spanos Family!" His reasoning...."because they pulled a fast one on the City of San Diego with the ticket guarantee." It kills me to think there are still people out there that whole heartedly believe that. The ticket guarantee was something the Chargers didn't think of or wanted but was in fact and idea Mayor Susan Golding came up with."

• Like Like x 1
  3. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    LOL...that would have been me.

What bothers me about most of the opposition is their arguments of environmental and economic impact, traffic, or "it's too big a project". These are the same arguments heard while trying to get the Petco Park project started. I would love to hear from anyone who opposed Petco back then to now tell us how that project was/is so damaging to the surrounding areas.

During the pre-season, while the Chargers traveled to Glendale to play in their new stadium, we kept hearing city officials from that area tells us how great the facility is and how it's helped their economy tremendously. Although I don't disagree, it shouldn't have to take Glendale officials to tell us the positive impact of a new stadium. We simply have to look in our own backyard (in this case front yard as Petco has helped redefine the San Diego skyline)!

Also, Fox6 had a report on the town hall meeting this morning and stated that more than 70% of Chula Vista residents oppose a stadium in the first place. What Fox6 failed to mention is those results came from a poll conducted by a local organization called "Crossroad II". Crossroads II is a 600 member strong organization. Of those 600, only 123 members responded while 72% of those responding opposed the stadium. Get your facts correct Fox6.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...m5cvbolts.html

600 members of an organization isn't the voice of a community of 200,000+ and having less than 1/3 of your members not respond to a survey as important/impactful to a community they supposedly represent is shameful.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I predict, if the stadium does indeed get built in CV (and I'm PRAYING it does), the city and residents will reap the monetary benefits for YEARS to come for their foresight. I also expect not only a world class state of the art stadium but a multitude of new hotels and businesses surrounding the new stadium, bringing further tax revenue to the city.

God I hope this happens. Thanks for the report Ray!

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree 100% here.

My only concern would be the traffic problems for CV. Coming and going from the Coors Amphitheatre during any event that goes on there is a nightmare. There will need to be more bus and trolley services to the new Stadium to be in CV. If they can solve the traffic and transportation problems then this would be a no brainer for the new Stadium.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    The 125 toll road is almost open (if they build it in east CV), or it will be located right off the 5 near the 54, giving the new stadium 3 ways in and out, the 5, the 54 (which then gives access to 805), and the trolley.

• Like Like x 1
  7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    RTL can you please tell me where in the vicinity that the the new Stadium will be put in CV?

The reason Why I ask is if it is going to be close to the Coors Amphitheatre then there will have to be a lot more bus routes going to the new Stadium.

If it is going to be closer to the harbor there in CV then there will not be hardly any problems getting around and traffic to include Mass Transportation will not be all that bad.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DaronEdwards

DaronEdwards BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    The eastside site would be just east of the new hwy 125 in the Eastlake area. It's a bit north of Coors. The city is also planning on building a 4-year college out there, and some new development. Part of that would be a "mini-trolley" system that would run east-to-west across Chula Vista.

The westside site is next to the So. Bay Powerplant, off I-5 at H st. right next to the water. Ideally, the Chargers would like to build on the power plant site, and let the area directly to the north be re-developed (like w/the Gaylord Hotels project, etc.)...

And why wouldn't the guys with the lightning bolts on their unis want to play at the POWER PLANT?!? Awesome...:abq1:

9. DaronEdwards

DaronEdwards BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Oh, and if things keep going as they have, the CITY of San Diego could get back into the mix:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071120-9999-1m20bar.html

By Alex Roth
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

November 20, 2007

The State Bar of California has opened an investigation into San Diego City Attorney Michael Aguirre, according to five people who have been interviewed by bar investigators.
    The focus of the inquiry is unclear, but the investigators have been asking questions about a wide range of issues involving Aguirre's legal work, public statements and other conduct.

Rupert Linley, one of Aguirre's former top deputies, said Los Angeles-based bar association investigators contacted him two weeks ago. Paul Cooper, another former assistant city attorney, said he was contacted about 10 days ago.

Three other people also confirmed that they have been interviewed by a state bar investigator. They requested anonymity because they didn't want to comment publicly on such a sensitive case.

Two said the investigators seemed interested in whether Aguirre had ever taken any action or made any public statements that were contrary to the interests of the city. Another – a former lawyer in Aguirre's office – said an investigator asked whether Aguirre ever discussed seeking approval from the City Council before filing various lawsuits.

Reached on his cell phone last night, Aguirre said he had “nothing to say.” Bar officials declined to confirm whether an investigation is under way. In general, the bar doesn't discuss an investigation publicly unless it files disciplinary charges....

If Aguirre is gone, San Diego comes back into the mix. :tup:

10. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Sweet. I never thought about that.....too bad they couldn't work something like that into the overall theme. I'm thinking in terms of Petco and the Metal Supply building. A couple of old transformers (or replicas) way up on one end of the end zone that would shoot out bolts/lights everytime they scored.

11. DaronEdwards

DaronEdwards BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I have always been of the opinion that the they should use the power plant site, for a few reasons, namely, it would force them to FINALLY finish the Otay Mesa power plant, which would be cleaner, cheaper, and in a more suitable location.

And I've always thought that some type of nod to the power plant should be in the architecture....maybe even have a solar or wind facility that would actually generate the electricity for the stadium itself.

The other thing is, since it's gonna be the Spanos' playground, I would LOVE to see an ancient Greek theme. Kind of a "coliseum" type thing, but Greek, not Roman. I'm thinking a giant statue of Zeus that literally shoots lightning bolts when we score a TD! That would be KILLER!

:abq1:

12. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
  13. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I grew up in Paradise Hills...From the back deck of the home I grew up in you can see the power plant...That would be awesome to see the stadium there...At least for my mom...

It would up my commute about 15 minutes, but that's not too bad as long as the 5 can handle the traffic. One top of that...We are only talking about 10-12 days a year for football....Crap like this figures itself out...The 54 is just north of that area and would give access to the 805. 905 to the just south and would be able to help people on the southside of the county...The freeway situation is probably better then the current I-15 siutaiton in that it's the best way out regardless of where you're going. 163/5/805 are several traffic light congested miles down friars...If they do it right and allow several exit off of the 5 to enter the stadium, it can be good...Plus the trolley is already there.

TBF