1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rest of the season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Nov 18, 2015.

?

what do you want?

1. 0-7, first pick in the draft, McCoy fired

30.4%
  2. 2-5, top 5 pick, beat the raiders and broncos or chiefs, McCoy likely gone

30.4%
  3. 4-3, pick around 12, McCoy 50-50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 7-0 pick around 18, McCoy stays

39.1%
  1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I will always cheer for this team to win no matter what

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I don't see how all of a sudden they start to play well with the same coaching staff and schemes. No running game, no defense plus both their top WR's down for the season. Be lucky if they win 1 more game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    2-5: McCoy stays if team remain in SD but will be gone if the team is allowed to relocate to LA. TommyTee stays either way!

4. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +92
    What he said.

• Like Like x 1
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    If we win any games we better win all of them, or **** off.

If it were just one side of the ball struggling, I might actually buy the idea of a late surge brought on by bye week overhauls. But we can't run the ball, we can't pass block, we can't run block, we can't stop the run, we can't cover TEs to save our lives, and most importantly we can't stay healthy. We need to blow up this coaching staff and land a franchise altering player, like Khalil Mack or Von Miller, or (fingers crossed) trade out and get a coup in return.

The real nightmare is that we go 6-1, not 0-7.

6. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    We'll keep running the delayed draw for the rest of this season. Hopefully by the end of the year MG and the offensive line finally get it. Then we'll be in better shape next year and with the delayed draw should win four or five games. We'll continue on with the same game plan, year after year, featuring the delayed draw until we're close to getting a wildcard berth, which will be in the year 2021, by my calculations.
    ~ Frank Reich

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I'm not going to concern myself with 2016 until after the season (if my team is still in town!) WIN!!!!!
    Here's a thought: Since LT and the Chargers alumni will be the game Sunday, maybe the equipment guys could hand out some helmets, pads and cleats? We could use the help.

8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I am only concerned with the game this Sunday. Cheer for a win, cheer for support, cheer to make it seem like this is still our house!!!

• Like Like x 3
  9. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Between injuries and incompetence this team has a real chance to lose their way out. With no changes to the coaching staff... 0-7 is entirely probable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Just win one for LT
    So we will all feel like we won the SB

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    It's either win em all or none....

Just don't flutter your eyelashes at us again SD and leave us with a pick in the draft where we don't get one of the top D linemen or O linemen, and get another year of McCoward/Pagano/Reich/Spencer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    With the poll question titled "what do you want" and not "what do you expect" anyone not voting for 7-0 needs to check their fan card at the door, especially since 9-7 could very well include a playoff birth. (or re-read the poll question at least)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Well obviously everyone would like to see us go 7-0, the poll and the question are hardly more than a fan boy check. Like when you punch your teammate in the balls to see if he's wearing a cup before the game.

Typically I ignore polls like that, but I'm bored, so I pretended it was the good question I wanted rather than the one supplied.

I don't think anyone really believes this team is capable of finishing 7-0 this year. The ineptitude spans to all 3 phases of the game + coaching + injury. It is a meltdown.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    PR sed et!

Win them all here on out and get in!

In PR17 I trust!

• Like Like x 2
  15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Don't see myself ever rooting for any team I liked to lose at any time. I know I can't do much about the situation no matter how I try to spur the team on but losing is never an option. Top 5 draft choices can't be the answer to the Bolts problems, to many former and present championship teams rarely choose in the top five, makes me think the fault is most likely above field of play level.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    If you don't like the question then don't answer it, because as it stands you said you don't want them to win.

Do I think they're capable of winning out? Of course not. But if you ask me what I want them to do then the answer is obvious.

17. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I am just trying to look at the positive from either end of the spectrum. I always cheer for the team to win and think that is a great thing, but I also see the positive aspect of the team not winning in terms of better draft status.

I do think that 7-0 would give us a pretty good chance at the #6 playoff spot, but I also think that I would sooner win the Powerball lottery (and I don't play) than our team would go 7-0.

The reality is that we probably will not dump all 7 games, but also that we probably will not win more than 2-3 of those games at most. I suspect any chance of a wild card is done after this weekend as KC is a bad matchup for us.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I don't care if the odds of the Chargers winning the next 7 games and going on to win the Super Bowl after sneaking into the playoffs are less than the odds of me winning not just the Powerball but also the Mega Millions immediately right after, and then finding 5 winning scratch offs as gravy.

If you ask me what I want to happen then that's what I'm going to tell you I'd like to see happen because as a fan of this team I want nothing more than to see them win.

At least when we have these discussions after mathematical elimination there's a little merit to the argument of better draft position versus moral victories, but while they're still mathematically in it I want them to win, odds be damned.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Of course I want them to win, but I certainly won't mourn if they lose out. Let's face it the 2015 cause is lost; and going 7-9 or 8-8 won't help the cause of 2016 and beyond.

Sorry, but I think there is a huge difference between a bandwagon fan, and a big picture fan.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I don't disagree with any of this.

But the fact of the matter is the poll asked what you want to happen and it boggles my mind that, regardless of odds, that anyone calling themselves a fan would want anything other than a trip to the playoffs.

And as the 2011 NY Giants showed 9-7 and not looking strong in the regular season isn't a death knell to SB chances once you're there.

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Well then I (we) apologize for trying to add some commentary to a flavorless poll question. I didn't realize I needed to reassure anyone that I was still a Charger fan.

I do think it's relevant though, as they may not be eliminated mathematically, they certainly are in spirit. It's just a matter of time.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I'm unsure where in any of my posts I said you can't add commentary to the thread.

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    That's how I interpreted your posts.

And reading back through them now, it's still how I interpret them. You seem to be complaining that we expanded the conversation past the benign point of ...."durf we like the Charger win.";)

24. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    As far as the poll, there needs to be an other option. I want 7-0 but still would want McCoy out... But that would be unlikely, but he still needs to get rid of Reich... I also wouldnt want pick 18 since I would be hoping for a playoff run.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I can't help how you interpret my posts. It doesn't change the fact that I'm merely explaining my perspective on the question and the ensuing discussion.

Also, you shouldn't use quotes unless you're quoting someone. I never said that. (<--- That is me saying what not to post, but I won't apologize for asking you not to purposely misquote me with a dumbed down version of your interpretation)

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Quoting you? I wasn't quoting you, or even misquoting you.

I was mocking the general spirit of this thread, which I see as pointless. (Sorry MasterOfPuppets, but it is.) The more intriguing conversation is what we will do when playoff hopes end, possibly very soon. Will we want this team to suck for a draft pick, or win for pride?

So I suppose I'll just say thank you for reinforcing what the ACTUAL question in the poll was, and continue to ignore it. Are we done?:tup:

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    We're pretty much done, except to add that that is the folly of when you use quotation marks while not actually quoting anybody. How am I supposed to know who you're "quoting" when you're not actually quoting anything somebody actually said?

Anyway, I'll root for the Chargers to win until they're mathematically out, at which point I'll take my typical stance of not rooting for them to lose but not being half as upset if/when they do.

28. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Maybe it should be a "dumb" poll, but a lot of fans want this team to tank for better draft position (look up a the poll results) as to you having to reassure anyone that you're still a fan, I don't give a rat's *** what you do

29. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I think you have captured the real issue very nicely. When we are out of it (which one more loss should make happen), how will fans root?

As for me, I can't root against them during the game...I just can't. But now, when we lose, it does not feel like it has when we were in contention for something.

Now, after a loss I just stop and think "one step closer to that #1 overall pick".

By doing it that way, I am trying to keep the glass always half full. Wins are good to see. A high draft pick is good to see. I am ignoring the fact that the two concepts are inconsistent with each other.

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Well that's kinda my point. All you asked was "what do you want?" This is a Charger forum, of course everyone wants this team to win. But the answers in the poll include draft positions, so that was a little ambiguous to some of us.

As I was explaining to Leo, for those who have already accepted that this season is over, the question was more about what would you rather see? Eliminating 9-7 from reality (as we have).....I think going 8-8/7-9 is pointless, it only serves to give us fans that warm fuzzy feeling for a few hours each Sunday until we end up picking 13-17 in the draft again.

Going 2-14 / 4-12, especially in what looks like it might be a top heavy QB draft, could be a lottery ticket to improving this roster. Even if we keep Telesco he's highly unlikely to TRADE UP again in such a scenario, which means we'll either land a blue chip player like Bosa/Nkemdiche etc... or we'll trade back and start hoarding picks, either I'm perfectly happy with.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015