1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Retirement of the Hanoi Taxi-

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BFISA, Mar 27, 2009.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2005
    I know there's a thread already established for aircraft, but this is too important and deserves its own thread, sooooo

The retirement flight of Lockheed's C-141 "The Hanoi Taxi"...

Just a little bit of military history you might be interested in seeing.

C-141 Tail Number 60177 was the last of the 285 C-141's built by Lockheed to leave active service. She flew 100 POWs out of Hanoi on 12 February 1973, some of them tasting freedom for the first time in six years. Each POW put their shot-down date on the face of the oxygen panel during their flight to Clark Air Base in the Philippines. For her retirement ceremony, some of the POWs she brought home were brought back for the ceremony and one last flight by this gracious lady. Most of them are seniors now but their enthusiasm, emotions, and excitement were evident during this flight and retirement ceremony. She was then flown to Dayton, Ohio where she will spend her final days in the Air Force Museum.

2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2006
    I flew in a C-141, we took off from Beale AFB and went to Mildenhall AB in England. It was my first trip to England, and we flew with some of our Aerospace Ground Support Equipment.

My second trip back to England was in a C-5.

One of the guys that I worked with at Beale became a Flight Engineer, and he was assigned to a C-141 Squadron. I am sure he went around the world a few times over in one.

I never really heard a bad word about them.