1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse psychology... How did we screw NE today taking their #3?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Electric Chair, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Seriously. A third rounder would have worked wonders to fill holes in their LB corps, OL, or secondary. People are worried about giving them an extra #2 next year, and on the surface it looks great for them, but what if that pick makes the difference in a Playoff Game come January ala WEDDLE.

They have holes, and I personally think that taking their #3 THIS YEAR was part of AJ's logic on the trade. They are our #1 competition for the SB. That #3 would have put a hell of a player on their roster that would have been contributing come January.

Watch the AJ interview on .com. He almost laughs when he brings the trade up. He knows. The Pats were freaking IDIOTS strengthening the roster of their #1 competition.

Again: THE PATS ARE IDIOTS FOR STRENGTHENING OUR ROSTER.

:abq2::abq2::abq2:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    patriOWNED.

I completely agree EC.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I agree. And as it has been pointed out by others, we traded a late #2 next year for an early #3 this year. So we traded 10 or 12 slots in draft positions and a 5th rounder and in return we got the player we wanted and got him a year earlier than next years 3rd rounder. I don't see how anyone can look at it and say we gave up alot.

4. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I love reverse psychology! :icon_tease:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    the Patriots are also idiots because they select players three-four rounds earlier then they should be

No offense to all you SDSU Aztec alumni but did any of you think O'Connell was a third rounder, not to mention just watch the way that ESPN just blew Piloli for making this pick

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Draft choices are for filling needs. No needs, no need for lots of picks. KC looked like they were going to have a killer draft. They did for three picks, but the rest of their draft is not causing me any paranoia.

7. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    On a side note, have you ever noticed that there is some correlation to how high the "experts" grade your draft to how many picks you had?

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    KC is the perfect team to contrast our draft against. They need EVERYTHING other than RB. Anything they pick that pans out is a step in the right direction. US, we need very little, so we can be choosy and make moves to get those 2 or 3 guys to help put us over the top. We could honestly not take a single player in the draft and still take the division next season.

9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah well im sure they like having that 10 th overall after trading down from #7 and gaining an extra pick. We helped them as well for next year when they have our 2nd rounder so i dont feel like we screwed them at all. They are the team we are still chasing.

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good point :tup:

11. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    I'll bite, KO was picked a bit high. But he's a project that could eventually become something, raw and full of potential, certainly a better long range prospect than Matt Cassell who never played at USC but looked good holding the clipboard.

Too bad KO doesn't have NFL Europe to play in so he could show his talent to the NFL.

Stan :rivers17:

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Mayock seemed to like O'Connell and said he could be a starter down the road.

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Hell, if you listen to the guys on TV, every single pick the Patriots made was fantastic, a genius move.

14. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    The same Mayock that had Mendenhall in the top 5 overall, and #1 RB?

Ok, thanks.

15. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I think I mentioned this same thing in another thread. What good does it do a team to hoard draft choices if they don't have lot of gaps to fill or they aren't facing the loss of key players to contractual factors? They wind up cutting guys, so why not use the extra choices to roam the boards for specific guys?

16. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Yes. Their first three or four picks would probably improve most teams, but the rest of them are guys as far as I can tell. Even if they make the roster, I'm not sure how much better they make the team compared to the rest of the league. After their first four (and even at that one with Charles) the guys they picked have some serious flaws to compensate for.